Technical Odd noise on a 1.6 [coil?]

Currently reading:
Technical Odd noise on a 1.6 [coil?]

wvam

Newbie here.

Stilo 1.6 Dynamic '02.

When the key is first turned to turn on the ignition there is a sound from the top of the engine immediately under the cover where the words FIAT are written. Sounds like something setting up or being moved in to place. What's the noise?

The car was a "gimme" from a relative and came with a "few" problems including some dash lights on. It then blew a head gasket - fixed - and then a coil - fixed but mechanic didn't have tools to clear engine fault light so still on.

The car has just developed another problem. On cold startup it starts and then dies. Did this a couple of times this morning and then once when I came to a stop. The engine is running on all cylinders but tickover is not completely smooth (as was before). Exhaust note on tickover sounds a bit "poppy" if that makes sense - a little like a very quiet Harley Davidson on fast tickover! I also think it's down on power at low revs. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

Sounds like the timming is out from when you had the head gasket change, are you sure the correct timming tools was used when the head was put back on? the light should clear its self after 3 clear runs so a problem must still remain, if its rough running due to the timming that may bring a light on, i'd say get the timming check which will mean having the timming tools fitted and to make sure the tools are in a good condistion as the timming must be bang on or you will get the problems your describing, there are allot off Stilos having problems like this after a cam belt change or after a job like a head gasket that involes removel of the head, take the car somewhere that knows a stilo engine and has experance on setting the timming up.

Hope this helps and it just might cost you a couple of hours labour.(y)

Sounds like the timming is out from when you had the head gasket change, are you sure the correct timming tools was used when the head was put back on? the light should clear its self after 3 clear runs so a problem must still remain, if its rough running due to the timming that may bring a light on, i'd say get the timming check which will mean having the timming tools fitted and to make sure the tools are in a good condistion as the timming must be bang on or you will get the problems your describing, there are allot off Stilos having problems like this after a cam belt change or after a job like a head gasket that involes removel of the head, take the car somewhere that knows a stilo engine and has experance on setting the timming up.

Hope this helps and it just might cost you a couple of hours labour.(y)

Thanks for the help. I plan to put it in to Fiats to clear the light and any other fault codes and then see what comes up i.e. a fresh start. I had the battery (+ve) disconnected last night but lights are still on.
When the head gasket was done it was running fine and tickover was very smooth - so this has developed since. It started with a slightly unsteady tickover, whereas before it had been stable. Then the starting problem began.
Re-connected battery this morning and it starts first time and ticks over about 1000 rpm and seems stable. However, it's not completely smooth - almost as if it misses a beat every now and then. It also seems a little down on power when accelerating.
I would accept the timing idea if it hadn't initially been fine after the head repair.
Any other thoughts are appreciated.

An idea of the noise when the ignition is turned on?

Will report back when this is sorted.

Did they do the head when they did the gasket, the popping noise its making sounds like you have a sticky velve, that would give you tappet clatter on startup, even if the engine does'nt run smooth the sound will get less as the engine warms up......and yes you will find engine power is down and fuel use up.
Try velve ease or one of the oil addetives designed for sticky velves
your car has hydrolic velves so this might work
IF THE TIMMING WAS OUT YOU WOULD HAVE A HARD TIME STARTING IN THE MORNING
AND YOU WOULD HEAR THE ENGINE RATTLE WHEN YOU ACCELARATE IN A HIGH GEAR

Last edited:
do you mean the noise you get as the ignition is turned before starting the engine, if so this is the fuel pump, pushing fuel through into the fuel rail, priming it all ready for starting, which is were you describe(y)

do you mean the noise you get as the ignition is turned before starting the engine, if so this is the fuel pump, pushing fuel through into the fuel rail, priming it all ready for starting, which is were you describe(y)

Thanks red devil. I guessed it to be that as I have a similar sound from the fuel pump on my BMW bike when I turn the ignition on. I just wasn't sure as wasn't really aware of it until I started to try and sort out the other fault and then it seemed conspicuously noisy - must be imagining things now.

Do the general fault coders you can buy on ebay also allow you to clear all the engine faults so I can see what comes up fresh, or do i really need to go to Fiat's?

Thanks

Chris

Problem solved - another bloody coil has gone! I can only assume it was breaking down and eventually gave out. Here's the curious bit (mentioned elsewhere on forum).

January - had head gasket done. Drove car away, everything fine - 1 hour later coil goes down.

February - have lower near side arm and drop link done (another story), ask to have any fault codes cleared as mechanic doing head couldn't clear the head or coil code. Drive car away and runs really well, for a few hours. Then plays up and coil goes down.

Replaced the coil today and for all I currently think about Fiats is driving rather well!

Now it's going in for cambelt (only done 42K but its an '02 car and knowing my luck with this thing) so the chances are another coil will go down about an hour later! Yes, I've already got a spare.

Out of interest I'm being quoted £250 (inc vat) for a cambelt change - apparently listed as 3 hours labour - opinions please?

thanks,
Chris

Hi chris does the cam belt change include a water pump change at the same time as this is a recomendation when this type of work is being carried out £250 sounds about right (y)
Karl

Hi Rowena,

I'll advise them.... it's only more money ...sigh!

Thanks for the heads up.

Chris

just to let you know, i found out recently, that on the stilo you have, when you change the belt, you dont need to change the water pump.

you dont on any car, its just it makes sence as you need to remove the belt to change the water pump, and as water pumps dont cost very much and can cause alot of expensive problems, it makes sence(y)

I think that what he was getting at was that on the 1.6, the water pump isn't driven by the cambelt, so you don't need to change it at the same time as the cambelt. Apparently it's driven by an auxillary belt... I think Decks mentioned it in another thread (y)

Out of interest I'm being quoted £250 (inc vat) for a cambelt change - apparently listed as 3 hours labour - opinions please?

Chris

I've also got the estimate at 3 hours from Fiat, but for that price I can't even get the timing kit. The kit itself is listed at £280 (inc 25% VAT) and then add 3 hours at £125 each. Hmmm, that will be around £650. I think I have to travel out of the country to get this done...

M.

Does this help.

Helped a lot. Hit "buy now" for a complete timing belt kit. Got the OEM number from the seller and confirmed it with local Fiat here. Bit of a price difference... £280 GBP locally, and £65 GBP from the UK including shipping. Now I don't fear the belt change anymore. Just need an auxiliary belt for the AC and generator, and I'm off for a flying start. (y)

M.

The water pump on a 1.6 is NOT driven by the cam belt sorry for the duff info
Karl.

Not a problem. I've just posted on a cam belt thread the breakdown of the bill. I could have got away with not doing the pump but then as everything else was being disturbed, inc. all new belts, then there is a distinct risk this will through up a problem. So changing the pump was a pragmatic / insurance decision. No point in going back in at a later date.

Now if I can just sort out the airbag light everything will have been done - well at least for 24 hours!

Chris

Back