Technical Not Again!

Currently reading:
Technical Not Again!

Chargers are excellent. I often top up my motorbikes like that. But they are garaged and its easy to connect everything. If you park on the street and live in a third floor flat you are better off with a good quality battery.

You can check the alternator is working by measuring the voltage across the terminals with the engine running at say 2k revs. You should then be seeing more than 12v, closer to 14v.

Tbh I wouldn't say it's the battery. The alternator in my car doesn't do the best job of keeping the battery topped up during normal use. A ctek smart charger would probably top the battery up and give you years more use out of it.

When sorting out my LiFe conversion, I found that the alternator's charge profile is dependant on the voltage of the battery when first connected. I started at 14.4v, and found the alternator kept the battery at a lowly 12.4 resting voltage. I tried reconnecting at 12.4 and got a toasty overcharge of 14.4 resting (!). Connecting at 13.8 gave the desired result (a healthy 13.2 standing). I also found that I simply had to remove the quick connector, not the IBM, to reset the profile.

If you've had the battery terminal off and are having trouble keeping a charge, it's worth keeping in mind.

So what you're saying is that Ahmett's battery might not be dead and just needs a good charge? ;)
Maxi I just want a decent new battery so this doesn't need to happen for a while. Paid 85 Euros for a 52ah 520A batter Bosch S5 001 with a 2 year warranty. Am happy with it and am curious to see how long this one will last.
Basically, I go with the theory of the less parts sourced from a Fiat dealer that my car has, the healthier it would be. Haha when I compared the 42ah 320A with the 52ah 520A, the former looked properly tiny, and the Bosch salesman told me car dealers and manufacturers put rubbish little batteries with just enough power to get away with it. He told me for 10 more euros, you should get the better S5 52ah so that's exactly what I did.

But if your alternator isn't charging it fully then you'll have the same issue again......

I have the same Bosch battery, but my 4 year old original battery took enough of a charge to mean that I don't need to put the Bosch battery in.

I wonder if the Bosch person provided a service which would earn them the most money from you......

Back