General North Yorkshire Moors and Coast Panda Camp 4x4 - June 2016

Currently reading:
General North Yorkshire Moors and Coast Panda Camp 4x4 - June 2016

I was at the white horse car park on time and no one there. Drove to Sutton bank visitor centre no one there either. Got a new phone though same number and no contact s in it, if someone would like to tell me where everyone is!
Link for route doesn't work on mobile or I'd follow that.
I'll head to Helmsley now.

Have a great day all.
John that's not fair - getting detached before the beginning.

Pony Panda won't make it to this one (See 'Conservation' thread) so we're a man/car/team down tomorrow.

Hopefully Snatch will make it though..now where's that rabbit's foot/four leaf clover gone?

Amazingly I was just about to cross the road after buying a new wiper from the garage when Jacob and Ula came into view!

Had a very nice afternoon going to the coast via lanes and single track roads and a very tricky rock section.

Only managed to take a couple of photo's as was using phone as a sat nav - I like to know where I am even if I'm lost.

Weather was better than expected though did seem to be in cloud over the moors.
IMG_20160610_151317146.jpg
IMG_20160610_151311785.jpg
IMG_20160610_151205006_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160610_150844442_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160610_150917114_HDR.jpg

I was at the white horse car park on time and no one there.

John, appologize for being 16 min late at the Friday start point.
Believe me, it is hard to pass next to Henry not recognising the car. I'm glad that we've luckly meet-up at Helmsley, as you've saved our Friday route, and thanks for commuting on each day as well.

Hope by now all safely reached their homes. Masive thanks to all other teams as well, I do appreciate your effort, and hoping every one enjoyed the area, scenery, food, coffee and complete mixture of single roads, moorland tracks, forest tracks, field tracks and endless number of gates.

Shame that the delay generated this morning ( safety first!!! ) forced our colegues from West Cost to leave without chance to get up the Rigg. ( weather did imroved as we've traveled more inland).
As usual we will go throgh the photos within few days.

Well - Jakub and Ula did us proud. Fantastic weekend, and planned to perfection. Great routes, got to see such a variety - stunning views/thick fog, hardcore watersplashes/boggy fields, steam trains, cute local animals (with one exception!). We absolutely loved it, and the attention to detail made it very easy for us (and for the children - thanks J for the fossils and for guiding us in late at night to the camping pitch, and for a brilliantly planned route throughout). Unfortunately we don't have many photos but hopefully others do.

Great crowd - hope everyone made it back safely.

Last edited:
We will echo everything said. Brilliant weekend. (They always are.)

Meticulously planned (Jakub knows more about some people's front gardens than they do)

and considerately led. Thank you J and Ula for all your leadership up some great lanes.

Again, we came across a different part of the country and distinctive scenery:

Saw interesting wildlife - Barn owl, Nuthatch, and my first Mountain Hare (Although this isn't it)-

Distractions were beautifully planned -

Locals were (mostly) friendly - check out the body colour matched necklaces-

The teamwork on display was exemplary-

Driving standards (mostly) of a high standard - check the positioning of thumb on steering wheel here:

Memories will last, of our brush with The Law-

But not as long as the memory of the fun and pleasure from successfully taking on tricky challenges, together.

Thanks again to Jacob and Ula for putting this together and apologies from me for causing the delay this morning.

This afternoon was amazing how the sun came out and the clouds parted, only to burst with rain on the way home!

With each event I grow in confidence using the car off road and they can't be faulted for what they can do.

The abiding memory for me will be the bemused smiles of the Landy drivers going down the rigg, knowing that we have just managed to drive up it!

Brush with the law eh!? Go on, what did you guys do? :devil:

We were just taking full joy from driving 100% legal Green Lane (or Unclassified Public Road with NO Vehicular access restriction in place) when one of locals farmers ( who actually lives at the top of that lane) decided to waste public money calling police to get us "done" after obstructing the lane end and calling us to reverse. Local Parish Councillor (probably the happiest man/ farmer in Ugglebarnby) came as well and finally abolished angry farmer and 'bad' cop theory confirming that this is legal green lane with vehicular public access end of story. 'Bad' cop was apparently an 'expert' in right of way and illegal off-roading and wanted to give us 'civil advice' stating we've been doing wrong and we will not do that again.

The funny part is that this was end of last lane on Sat late afternoon.

Here is great study done by LARA regards above case, showing how unclear the legal status is.
http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/ab...cess-forum/june-2013/Item-10-2-LAF-Jun-13.pdf

Last edited:
We were just taking full joy from driving 100% legal Green Lane (or Unclassified Public Road with NO Vehicular access restriction in place) when one of locals farmers ( who actually lives at the top of that lane) decided to waste public money calling police to get us "done" after obstructing the lane end and calling us to reverse. Local Parish Councillor (probably the happiest man/ farmer in Ugglebarnby) came as well and finally abolished angry farmer and 'bad' cop theory confirming that this is legal green lane with vehicular public access end of story. 'Bad' cop was apparently an 'expert' in right of way and illegal off-roading and wanted to give us 'civil advice' stating we've been doing wrong and we will not do that again.

The funny part is that this was end of last lane on Sat late afternoon.

Here is great study done by LARA regards above case, showing how unclear the legal status is.
http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/ab...cess-forum/june-2013/Item-10-2-LAF-Jun-13.pdf

I'm sure there would be many 4x4 clubs very happy to drive that lane if they knew about the farmer ;)

I'm sure there would be many 4x4 clubs very happy to drive that lane if they knew about the farmer ;)

It is, but Mr. Nervous decided to pick on us as we were in small cars and give vent to all the anger he accumulate across last week. Track itself is easily passable in std 2wd panda so Landy Bad boy'z don't use it that much.

Another great weekend spent with friends, really enjoyed it and of course many thanks to Jacob and Ula for all the hard work in organising everything. No major breakdowns, just a top-up of brake fluid for John and swapping out a split fuel hose for me (thanks David and Jacob for the help!) - once again we showed what these tough little cars can do.

I have a lot of dashcam footage to sort through, but for now here is a quick bit of footage from my phone while Nic was driving (arm out of the window technique copyright Andy B, all rights reserved):

[ame]https://youtu.be/Fo8Uk8z2lFU[/ame]

Didn't take many photos as I was driving a lot and Ula is much better at them, but here are one or two:

I hope you've saved some more milage for next time :)

Looking forward to seeing more pics and vids.

Yes, there is still plenty miles left - i've saved the rough stuff for Giuseppe, Digger and Axel.
Acording to my odo accross those tree days we've done 240 miles and that's the route only. I did took some planning but the results were great and the A,B roads were keep to minimum.
I've tried to count all gates which Ula was kindly opening and last team were shouting, i've lost count around 50 mark.

Sounds perfect to me guys. I won't be back out for a fair while but some time in the future this will be great!

50 gates is a serious milestone for a green laning weekend, we must organise some form of award for the gate operators.

Last edited:
Back