No more grey

Currently reading:
No more grey

Dealers stock what they know will sell, before they get to pay for it, so it's all grey. Many buyers would prefer other colours, but they get a choice, wait months and pay full price for the colour of your choice, or have a discounted grey one now.
If the stock vehicles are other colours, buyers will take them, and likely be happier.

That’s kinda what MotorTrend said
They pulled a stunt by dunking a full size 600e in a huge bucket of orange paint.
I get what they’re saying, a do miss the bold bright Fiat colours, but dropping grey/silver is going to hurt

Dealers stock what they know will sell, before they get to pay for it, so it's all grey. Many buyers would prefer other colours, but they get a choice, wait months and pay full price for the colour of your choice, or have a discounted grey one now.
If the stock vehicles are other colours, buyers will take them, and likely be happier.
I wanted a bright orange 169 cross, ended up getting a green one as the wait was too long…the dealer ‘thought’ green would be the dominant request, he admitted that the most requested were orange and white for the cross, red and blue for the standard 4x4…I would have picked green, if it was the lime Green of the 131 era

Fashion is cyclical and Fiat probably know what they're doing. Red used to be all the rage, then it was silver, then white, then black and then back to silver again.. so we're due a Tutti Frutti phase now, I reckon.

And smaller cars suit bright colours rather than silver, so I think Fiat is making a good call.

Ralf S.

Used to have a grey car but commuting to Basingstoke on a foggy morning cured me of ever wanting one again. As the Audis and BMWs flashed past at speed I realised that grey wasn't the most visible colour and boy was I glad to get to work safely!

There's nothing nicer to me than seeing one of those mustard yellow Fiat 500's, or even the turquoise ones (before Renault and Citroen copied it in some of their models!). They stand out and they do look right out of a picturesque scene of some Italian town or village with a marina and similarly pastel painted buildings.... plopped right in the middle of my/"our" gray, rainy, dull cities on an average day.

I'm glad they're not cancelling black coloured paint as regardless of how 50's/60's or 'girly' looking they make any cars, the black would be a safe bet for me to get one and hide from criticism! hahaha

Grey seemed to be the main colour of new Pandas in Italy recently and by some margin too. Its fashion something I follow very closely. I think Im an expert in fashion and style!
Like me then, a full on vogue, still stuck in the seventies. And I do NOT mean flares!

With grey being the most popular colour in the uk ..thats going to work well ...! lol
Finally after 78 years they have FINALLY used all the battleship grey paint and pigments up! Now what else can we find to use thats cheap.

anybody remember that ‘burnt Orange’ predominantly found on seventies 128’s.
I’ve been trying to find what Fiat called it as it was ‘odd’, but the Italian for it was so evocative…it’s a bit like the Quattroporte, it only means four door, but it’s somehow sexy

I think dropping gray is not a good option. Lets see how these colors gonna look on these cars as compared to other brands.

There are certain colours that new car buyers should just be taken aside and slapped for. Plain grey is one, brown through to beige is another.

I'm pretty sure It's Arancio if it's the same as 131's
No, it wasn’t the same as the Arancio, which was available in two shades if I remember rightly, they were too orange, if that makes sense. Somewhere I have a 128 brochure from the period…god knows where

Fiat 294 orange was called "Oriental yellow" and later on "Red Orange". It's a red-orange colour.

Confusingly, Fiat 171 orange was called "Rosso Arancio" (i.e. transl. "Red Orange") albeit it was a different shade of red orange than 294.

After a couple of years, - possibly when the 171 cars started to be sold in markets where there were 294 cars already being sold, the 171 was renamed "Rallye Red" (sic) even though it was still actually quite orange... o_O

Fiat 299 is "Sunset Orange" and is orange. More orange than the same period Fiat 558 "Orange" which is more red-orange, although Fiat had presumably run out of ways to call something red-orange by then... 😅

Fiat 193 became the orange aka "Orange" in 1975.. although 299 (Sunset) was still in the palette, as was 190 "Orange" which was a different, more red shade of orange than 193 Orange.

193 was joined by 4203 "Mexico Red" (a Galsurit paint) in 1976.. which for orangey-ness is in between 193 and 171.

In the late 1970's orange colours tanked, presumably bringing on the collapse of Holland's World Cup dreams... Only 171 Rallye Red (which is orange) was still in the palette.. although 201 "Mexico Orange", which was at least more orange and less red than 4203 Mexico Red, joined it.

171 Rallye Red (which is quite orange) persisted into the 1980s but was joined by 902 "Orange" which is more of a copper colour.
Mid-80's someone at Fiat renamed 171 "Rallye Red", which is quite orange, "Light Red".

Orange went quiet again until the mid 1990's when 207 "Arancio Anas" was introduced.. the 190 "Orange" from 1975 made a comeback as 190 "Rosso Corallo"... until phased out in 1995 by 570 "Arancio" (orange) and the magnificently titled 152 "Arancio Coq De Roche".. which in name terms at least is probably "peak orange"... 😅

Ralf S.

Back