General No heating outlet from engine?

Currently reading:
General No heating outlet from engine?

I'm new to my Fiat and I have been trying to establish why my heaters inside don't work. After looking at my engine I have realised the outlet for the heater tube has been cut back of and blanked off with an aluminium plate!
Does anyone know if Is there any particular reason for this modification? It would be quite nice to have a bit of heating for this time of year!

Attachments

• tempImageMQ756h.png
    tempImageMQ756h.png
    12.8 MB · Views: 94
I'm new to my Fiat and I have been trying to establish why my heaters inside don't work. After looking at my engine I have realised the outlet for the heater tube has been cut back of and blanked off with an aluminium plate!
Does anyone know if Is there any particular reason for this modification? It would be quite nice to have a bit of heating for this time of year!
I can't think of a sensible reason as to why somebody would do that! You might have to get a new hose for between the engine and the section attached to the car's body. The factory used big metal 'spring' clips---I have found that cable-ties do just as good a job and are easier to fit/remove, especiallyif you can lay your hands on the "re-useable" variety. You might find that you have to join a couple of ties together to go round the hose, but that is no problem--just trim as required.

I can't think of a sensible reason as to why somebody would do that! You might have to get a new hose for between the engine and the section attached to the car's body. The factory used big metal 'spring' clips---I have found that cable-ties do just as good a job and are easier to fit/remove, especiallyif you can lay your hands on the "re-useable" variety. You might find that you have to join a couple of ties together to go round the hose, but that is no problem--just trim as required.
Seems a strange thing to do, wasn't sure if it had some benefit to the engine, but can't see how?! Hopefully with a new thermostat housing and heater tube i can get some heat in the car

One of the reasons is, looks like you have a panda 30 head. Which i dont think theres any sort of factory tinwork that will duct air back to the 500's heater ducts.

I remember once seeing someone or some sort of setup with the panda 30 head with the proper thermostat ducted back to the original heater ducts.

This will likey require some custom fab to make a factory 500 style engine shroud fit the panda 30 head, while still allowing thermostat control. you dont want to restrict the airflow.

Btw, looks like a spicy little motor you got there. Any info on it?.

One of the reasons is, looks like you have a panda 30 head. Which i dont think theres any sort of factory tinwork that will duct air back to the 500's heater ducts.

I remember once seeing someone or some sort of setup with the panda 30 head with the proper thermostat ducted back to the original heater ducts.

This will likey require some custom fab to make a factory 500 style engine shroud fit the panda 30 head, while still allowing thermostat control. you dont want to restrict the airflow.

Whoops! Teach me to look a bit longer before letting my fingers wander over the key-board. I think Jacques is correct---it does indeed look like a Panda30 head, and they have left the thermostat housing completely off! The correct housing is difficult to find, and utilises the thermostat from the Giardiniera. I always have immense problems putting pictures onto the forum, so if you would like to contact me direct ( [email protected] ) I will send you a picture of the shrouding you SHOULD have on the engine (I have one on the 695SS engine that I am building up) along with some suggestions as how to get round the problem

Whoops! Teach me to look a bit longer before letting my fingers wander over the key-board. I think Jacques is correct---it does indeed look like a Panda30 head, and they have left the thermostat housing completely off! The correct housing is difficult to find, and utilises the thermostat from the Giardiniera. I always have immense problems putting pictures onto the forum, so if you would like to contact me direct ( [email protected] ) I will send you a picture of the shrouding you SHOULD have on the engine (I have one on the 695SS engine that I am building up) along with some suggestions as how to get round the problem
I believe we have met! I often go to Chester Lakes on my scooter and I chatted to you last time I saw you there about the fiat 500 I had purchased and was waiting for delivery from Italy.

I will send you an email (y)

That does look like an engine thats got some nice bits on it! Should be a good performer, presuming its as good on the inside as the outside!

Not to derail the thread, but it's very easy to add pictures to the posts, just click the 'attach files' to the bottom left of the reply box, it'll open a window where you can choose the pictures you want and then click 'upload'. The picture will automatically appear at the bottom of the post when you reply, just as it has for plantpot50 in the first post of this thread, that way the community as a whole can all benefit from the knowledge going forward :)

(y)
That does look like an engine thats got some nice bits on it! Should be a good performer, presuming its as good on the inside as the outside!

Not to derail the thread, but it's very easy to add pictures to the posts, just click the 'attach files' to the bottom left of the reply box, it'll open a window where you can choose the pictures you want and then click 'upload'. The picture will automatically appear at the bottom of the post when you reply, just as it has for plantpot50 in the first post of this thread, that way the community as a whole can all benefit from the knowledge going forward :)
Thanks Goldnrust, it certainly goes well!
It’s in for a dyno on Monday to give it a fine tune and see how it’s performing 👍🏻

(y)

Thanks Goldnrust, it certainly goes well!
It’s in for a dyno on Monday to give it a fine tune and see how it’s performing 👍🏻
Being that we have met at Chester Lakes, it would seem sensible to think that we don't live too far away from each other, I live in Saltney. You are very welcome to come round to my house (and workshop), see what I have and maybe we can work around the problem. The lack of thermostat housing means that there will be a constant blast of hot air (the 'cooling' air) from the engine blowing over your oil-pressure/temp cables (which is why they are well insulated) which look as if they are leading up to a take-off manifold under the rear parcel-shelf. Tea and cake is normally supplied to visitors!
Being nosey---where are you having your 'dyno' session?

Being that we have met at Chester Lakes, it would seem sensible to think that we don't live too far away from each other, I live in Saltney. You are very welcome to come round to my house (and workshop), see what I have and maybe we can work around the problem. The lack of thermostat housing means that there will be a constant blast of hot air (the 'cooling' air) from the engine blowing over your oil-pressure/temp cables (which is why they are well insulated) which look as if they are leading up to a take-off manifold under the rear parcel-shelf. Tea and cake is normally supplied to visitors!
Being nosey---where are you having your 'dyno' session?
That would be great, I only live 20minutes away from you (Eastham). Your knowledge and help would be really appreciated. The Dyno is booked in with Wirral Remaps on New Chester Road on the Wirral. Will send you an email now 👍🏻

Hi Plantpot, as Tom has stated you will need the thermostat housing from the bambino engine (German) the two pics show it fitted to my engine. If you can find one be prepared to 'modify' the heat guard (if you have one) to allow the heater hose fitting.
Ian
Hi Ian, thank you for the info and pictures, that certainly helps. I'm guessing is not the easiest of parts to find!

Last edited:

Thanks Bambino, I've only got limited info on it to be honest. The previous owner had passed away and his wife has sold it out of his car collection. All I told is that its a 700cc with oil cooler, 4.5ltr sump, electonic ignition and electric fuel pump - and now I know it has a panda 30 head!:D. It also has a 5 speed box. I'm new to classic Fiats so this is all a learning curve for me!

Hi you have virtually the same set up that I had in my 500 that I sold in December, (now have a 50th Anniversario Abarth) I removed the heater pipe & sealed it off due to the fact the fumes would enter the cabin with very dangerous consequences. I think it was due to the same carb, oil cooler etc also panda head. I have read other people saying “I dont know how Fiat have never been taken to court for the chance of Carbon Manoxide poisoning”. As I said with a completely standard engine it MAY be ok but I could only drive for a couple of miles without coughing & feeling dizzy. So be very careful if you do re connect the heater pipe. I would keep a carbon manoxide tester inside the car to be on the safe side, I think you will be surprised. If you have an electric starter (not the one where you pull up the lever next to the choke ) I was told the heater pipe has to be modified to by pass the starter motor, that also may be the reason its tot fitted, however the mod is available, I think mine came from Ricambio, but I removed it due to the fumes.
BC0A0C61-9804-4A0C-B7C7-78D35646064B.jpeg
046C574E-D746-48A2-AA60-966398B67120.jpeg
9C73B8DA-6686-46EE-9729-7C7AFFED5B99.jpeg

After meeting up with Tom AKA The Hobbler today, it seems it is not possible to reinstate the heating as the pipework for the oil cooler runs where the heater tube is normally located.

Thank you for your help and the coffee today Tom, its great to know such a knowledgable person is only down the road!

Back