Technical Newbie with a big project in mind

Currently reading:
Technical Newbie with a big project in mind

Hey all

Long time Fiat owner but new 500 owner. I have just bought a lovely 1970 500. Very old registration and still holding up very well.

The car came with a lot of parts and this is the reason for my posting.

The car comes with a 126 650 engine that i have been able to identify as a late built engine. It also comes with a syncro box, including alternator and starter.

My first question is about the gearbox, specifically the drive shafts for the 650. I have the shorter 420mm shafts that someone has changes on the 650 box but they are 20mm thick, not the 25mm. Is this going to be a problem?

I'm sure i will be asking many questions as it is my first time to do such a build such as this so i thank you all in advance.

Hey all

Long time Fiat owner but new 500 owner. I have just bought a lovely 1970 500. Very old registration and still holding up very well.

The car came with a lot of parts and this is the reason for my posting.

The car comes with a 126 650 engine that i have been able to identify as a late built engine. It also comes with a syncro box, including alternator and starter.

My first question is about the gearbox, specifically the drive shafts for the 650. I have the shorter 420mm shafts that someone has changes on the 650 box but they are 20mm thick, not the 25mm. Is this going to be a problem?

I'm sure i will be asking many questions as it is my first time to do such a build such as this so i thank you all in advance.
I think that you will find that the 25mm apertains to the section that passes through the boots at the side of the gearbox----measure them, and then come back to us with the result. Fitting the 126 engine and gearbox is not a difficult job. You will probably have to transfere the mounting at the front of the engine (which is at the back of the car-----the timing-chain end) fromthe 500 onto the 126 engine. Also,with the 126 starter, there should be a brace fromone of the studs on the side-bearing holder across to the rearof the starter, a shield between the starter and the bell housing and a specific "3rd bolt" for securing the starter to the bell housing. Ifthe 126 starter is a 'lever-pull' type this can still be used without any problem

Thank you all for your interest and support in regards to this topic.

For the time being i will put this post on hold as i have done a bad thing....... I have bought another 500 but this time its a N and its a project car. :oops::sneaky:

Thank you all for your interest and support in regards to this topic.

For the time being i will put this post on hold as i have done a bad thing....... I have bought another 500 but this time its a N and its a project car. :oops::sneaky:
Well done for trying to save an 'N' You will find parts difficult to source, and the crankshaft/seals/bearings arrangment is slightly different. I have some info on the 'N' engine which I will happily send you, and I am sure that other members on the Forum will help as much as they can.

Back