General New to pandering

Currently reading:
General New to pandering

No updates on work for the red one currently as I've been sorting out the faulty electrics on the 4x4.

I've been researching parts and prices for the engine tuning/rebuild one the red panda. It ain't going to be cheap but I'm looking on keeping it for the foreseeable future and setting it up how I want it, it's nickname is now "pandagarale" these are the kind of things I'm looking at doing/ purchasing. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1422626921.046145.jpg these spotlights, wheels and arch trims if they are available anywhere. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1422627000.521501.jpg door bottoms and rear quarters painted black with round cherry bomb. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1422627080.244124.jpg polished and painted rocker cover and a bigger carb, possibly a twin choke weber 32. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1422627233.742517.jpg and some higher compression pistons.

I'm going to have a chat with the guys in the "other fiats" section and see what they have for sale or find out what's compatible, from what I gather, one of the abarth engines rotates backwards, will have to look into this, should be a funky project though.

The Fiat 850 engines run backwards if that's what you're thinking? The 903cc is effectively a development of the 850 ohv (903's were in lots of different models), but run the other way. I don't know what you need to find out, but I can point you at someone in the FMC who has a great 850 & 850 Abarth tech knowledge if you need it. (y)

The Fiat 850 engines run backwards if that's what you're thinking? The 903cc is effectively a development of the 850 ohv (903's were in lots of different models), but run the other way. I don't know what you need to find out, but I can point you at someone in the FMC who has a great 850 & 850 Abarth tech knowledge if you need it. (y)

Yeah it would have been the 850 I had in mind. Seems a strange idea having an engine run the other way. It was just parts compatibility such as carb choices, camshafts and general tuning advice, yeah it would be great if you can point me in his direction, any advice is much appreciated

Updates. Been busy in the garage over the past couple of nights sorting out the red 900.

Steam cleaned many parts as they were covered in black gunge, sanding and painting various parts. Including the engine bay. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1425049855.596976.jpg engine bay beforeImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1425049882.565882.jpgand after. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1425049905.537875.jpgsump and rocker cover.ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1425049933.291200.jpg manifold heat shield/cover ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1425049987.192518.jpg dip dim resistor, I know this is supposed to be shiny but it was a bit too pitted and rusty.

Hoping to have this one on the road by summer, I've just enrolled onto a classic car restoration course starting in September so will have to sell a panda to help pay my course fees, don't want to sell but won't have the space or funds for 2 cars :(

More updates to come soon

Had a couple of days of work this week so decided to get cracked on with the engine rebuild for the red panda, it's had me rings, cylinders honed and shells etc. just got everything painted up and it's almost ready to go back in, just need to rent an engine hoist and have a day to set it up. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1427219075.323967.jpg

Got a new list of jobs to do with the panda's today. For the 4x4 I have just had new vredestein tyres fitted and getting them balanced tomorrow, had to order a pair of front shocks as the ones I have on at the moment are badly weeping fluid. Headlights bulbs to replace as one has blown. And a good valeting.

The red one.

Engine is ready to go back in the car, mostly built up already so just a case of putting ancillaries and carb assembly back on.

Currently a twin engined 4x4ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1428943606.955747.jpg

Haha it's not as clean as you think, it's got about 30g of tobacco rubbed into the carpets and it's got mud up the sides of it.

I do wash it and wax/polish it every week but it don't take long to get dirty again

More progress and more stress today,

The engine is now bolted in on the red panda, just needs building up and wires and hoses putting back on,

4x4 well....

Had the new tyres put on last week and it's been driving strange, checked the front shocks and they were completely shot, they had leaked everywhere and decided that they were hungry and ate the dust covers. Ordered some new Sachs ones and fitted them yesterday, checked the tracking after as it was pulling to the left.

Both track rod ends were knackered and bottom ball joints are really bad so had to order more, it feels like a bit of a death trap currently, got a few cosmetic bits done though, touched up a few stone chips, repainted badges and wheel nuts and polished the hell out of it.

Might be getting a suzuki ignis sport tomorrow too as my new runabout. Figured that way I can keep the 4x4 for best, it can live in the warm garage. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1429620104.841272.jpg ... Looking pretty this morning though

Update guys, the 4x4 has been taken off the road for the moment, I've just got that little uno as a run around for the moment as I have a list of jobs I want to do on the blue one as there is a few rattles and noises and misc issues I want to sort out so it's perfect when it goes back on the road.

It's getting wheel bearings all round, new leaf bushes, diff oil seal, new brake discs,pads, shoes. And there is an issue with the headlight wiring and the horn is temperamental. And I have a brand new clutch kit to go in it, I move away in a few months and won't have the space/ time to get these jobs done so gonna get them out the way now. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1432728704.730960.jpg feeling sorry for it today.... Uno drives really nice though, it's strange not having a growling gearbox anymore and other odd noises

Hi panda guys, So...I have good news.... The 4x4 is going back on the road this Sunday, I moved a few months ago to the Bradford area and whilst I've been over here I've been using my little Uno to get about in.

The uno has good reliability and economy for what I use it for but its not great with all the hills and I prefer the 4x4 gearing in heavy traffic,

I'm now at Leeds college studying classic car restoration and all seems to be going well, I asked the tutor if I can bring my car in to replace a clutch and he's give me tho go ahead so it's getting done on Wednesday.

Dads running the car in for a bit this week as it hasn't been anywhere for 6 months, the brakes are a little sticky and the clutch is awkward as its release bearing is towards the end of its life, I know the horn is playing up too but this will be a relatively simple job(fingers crossed).

The mot is due at the end of next month too, I know the car is structurally sound so that shouldn't be a problem, most the electrics work most of the time too, brakes were done last year before the mot but will probably need doing again, I will no doubt find other little bits that want attention but yeah I'm feeling brave. I've got to drive it back 90 miles.

Wish me luck ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1447886712.977366.jpg

Back