Technical New Kingpin Renewal kit...

Currently reading:
Technical New Kingpin Renewal kit...

jolly500

Hi
I've just received this kit to renew the kingpins. The old grooved metal washers have been replaced, in this kit, with what appears to be hard plastic ones.
What's the consensus - with all the stress being on the top, I find it hard to believe the plastic (if that's what they are), will last very long.

Also, if I do decide to reuse the 2 metal ones, should the grooves be on top or at the bottom?

Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• 20221022_113342.jpg
    20221022_113342.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • 20221022_113238.jpg
    20221022_113238.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
Hi
I've just received this kit to renew the kingpins. The old grooved metal washers have been replaced, in this kit, with what appears to be hard plastic ones.
What's the consensus - with all the stress being on the top, I find it hard to believe the plastic (if that's what they are), will last very long.

Also, if I do decide to reuse the 2 metal ones, should the grooves be on top or at the bottom?

Thanks
Steve
Personally, I would say that any 'non-metal' washers are a total waste of time! I would put the 'lubrication grooves against the bigger surface, beit the king-pin holder or the stub axle. On the original 'Factory' king-pins I am sure that the lubrication groove went further round the pin in order that grease could completely extend over the pin. I also seem to remember that there was a small hole drilled though the lubrication slots (1 top, 1 bottom) so that the grease could get into the centre of the king-pin and then out into the slots. We also had a LOOOONG adjustable reamer so that BOTH of the bushes could be reamed out to the correct clearance IN A STRAIGHT LINE. The easiest way to remove the core-plug at the bottom of the king-pin carrier is to drilla large hole in the centre of it---this way as you knock the king-pin out the core-plug basically collapses in, and come out without damaging its retaining lip.

Back