General New here, looking at a bravo sport.

Currently reading:
General New here, looking at a bravo sport.

class2ldn

HI all, I'm Mike from Surrey and I'm looking at buying a bravo I've seen.
It's a 1.4 t jet sport.
Dealer is going to do the cambelt and I'm going to see if I can get him to do the steering wheel as the leather has completely split.
Does the sport come with b and me as standard?
It had the windows logo on the wheel so I'm assuming it has got it. Also I did have a quick look but can't see if the xperia z2 is compatible with it atall?
The car is on 70k with fsh.
Anything I should particularly look out for at this mileage?
I've heard the gearbox can be a bit fragile or is that just hearsay?
This is the car.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201404173419517

Look forward to your replies
Cheers

It's a 1.4 t jet sport.
Dealer is going to do the cambelt and I'm going to see if I can get him to do the steering wheel as the leather has completely split.
It had the windows logo on the wheel so I'm assuming it has got it. Also I did have a quick look but can't see if the xperia z2 is compatible with it atall?
This is the car.

Cheers
Hi Mike, it looks a lovely car.

It does have Blue & Me, and your phone will work fine using the Bluetooth for calls, and phonebook searches etc. However I hear many complaints that when you plug android phones into the media input USB they don't work, so you won't be able to listen to the music on your phone. Being a 2007 model like mine (57), they also don't work with iPhones without an adapter. Don't fret though, you can still play your own music very easily. Just place all your music onto a USB stick and plug that in instead.

Regards to the gearbox. That car does have that dreaded M32 box built by Vauxhall. However do remember that although your car is powerful it's no where near as powerful as the VXR Astra's and Corsa's that vauxhall use it for. So it's well within it's designate safe usage. And although a common problem it isn't a majority thing. Many, many people have and will never have an issue with the gearbox. What I like to reiterate to people is that no one ever signs on to forums and help sites to say "hi. my gearbox is fine". They only ever come on to say that it is broken or on it's way out. Just keep on eye on it, or ear so to speak. The biggest indicator is a moaning, whirring noise when cruising in 5th and 6th that will disappear when you put the clutch in and out. So don't mistake it for road noise. A precaution some people do, which I did myself, is have the transmission fluid changed and have top quality oil put in. This helps lubricate everything up and gives it a new lease of life.

The leathers on the steering wheel are a big problem. Mine is also torn and wrinkly and once I can be bothered I'll sort it out. If you can get them to sort it for you that would be great.

I hope you chose to buy the car, Bravos are fantastic, beautiful and brilliant value for money, that 150 T-jet engine will have you grinning ear to ear. I moly have the 120 T-jet and I think it's a fantastic engine.

Do let us know if you buy it :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I'm currently driving a vectra vxr and need to cut down the costs a bit, but not lose too much oomph and space and the bravo seems to have that good balance.
I did notice today that the ns rear light is misted up and the rear boot badge is well worn, minor things I know lol but my vxr is mint and I think my biggest concern is trading it in and then ending up with a dog lol but that's cars I guess. What is the tax on these as some say 180 but the website for this dealer says 205. Either way it's better then 485 lol.
As for music playback through my phone I'm not too fussed. Can't beat a good old cd lol.
If i put do get it il certainly be fitting an arm rest and exploring the option of putting in electric rear windows although I've heard this is a right pain the backside, not a massive deal but my 7yr old likes the ease of electric windows that I've got in the vxr.
In regards to the steering wheel, what's the options? How much would a replacement be?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I'm currently driving a vectra vxr and need to cut down the costs a bit, but not lose too much oomph and space and the bravo seems to have that good balance.
I did notice today that the ns rear light is misted up and the rear boot badge is well worn, minor things I know lol but my vxr is mint and I think my biggest concern is trading it in and then ending up with a dog lol but that's cars I guess. What is the tax on these as some say 180 but the website for this dealer says 205. Either way it's better then 485 lol.
As for music playback through my phone I'm not too fussed. Can't beat a good old cd lol.
If i put do get it il certainly be fitting an arm rest and exploring the option of putting in electric rear windows although I've heard this is a right pain the backside, not a massive deal but my 7yr old likes the ease of electric windows that I've got in the vxr.
In regards to the steering wheel, what's the options? How much would a replacement be?

You have a VXR already so should be very familiar with the M32 box. I think the Bravo will give you that balance. I'm not sure on your tax I think mines 175 for the year, but mine is the same engine as yours but less powerful.

The boot badge is an incredibly cheap and simple fix. Replacements are like a tenner and it's just a case if boot panel off. The centre of the badge pops off from the inside. And then pop new one in. In regards to the steering wheel, it's either a replacement job or some users on these forums have had them re-trimmed with better leather.

The rear electric windows is a no. Don't even bother. If you're dead set on a bravo. There may be a sport model pop up with them as they were an option when bought new. I've seen many sport models with all round electric windows. alternatively you can get the Dynamic model (which is what I have) this is the higher spec model and has them as standard as well as cruise control, duel climate control and they also have an armrest and built in cooler which would save you another hassle. You can even get the same engine in a dynamic, the only thing you lose is the styling on the outside. But if you look at mine i think it looks great even without the spoiler and skirts. You will also lose traction control which was only available with sport models but you gain so much more instead.

Last edited:
Yeah I do preferathe looks of the sport tbh, the electric windows isn't a deal breaker just a nice to have, all the cars I've seen seem to be miles away except this one which is 1 mile away lol. The dealers doesn't have the greatest reviews but as long as the car is straight and the cambelt and other bits are done then I shouldn't have to use their services again lol.
The gearbox is always a gamble, if it doesn't have any signs on the test drive then it's a good start.

Won't go into too much detail as Matthew's advice above is top drawer, but I think all Sport spec Bravo's with full leather will have rear electric windows - pretty sure when selecting leather on Fiats configurator on their website, it'd say 'to add this option you must also select: Rear Electric Windows'. Therefore if you want to guarantee rear electric windows, find one with leather - they do pop up now & again and the leather is thankfully better quality than that on the steering wheel!

Haha well il see what dealer can get on this car today, if it's no good il keep looking, like I say not a massive deal anyway.

There is way better on trader for that money!
Seems very expensive!
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1406278056.960074.jpgImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1406278074.268107.jpg

It's a 1.4 t jet sport.
This is the car.

Cheers

Hi Mike

looks like a nice example (y)
price has room for negotiation

Just been down there to see what they could muster up and basically he offers me 4k for mine so I told him no way, then he looked on AT and said ok il do a swap plus he said he will do the following
Replace cambelt
Check the rear exhaust as it's corroded a fair bit around the box. Now he onky offers a 3 month warranty but has agreed in writing that if the box blows, leaks etc within six months he'll replace it.
The steering wheel needs replacing but he won't do it but he will try and source one and if he can't he'll give me 50 quid towards a new one if I can find one. Il take the tax off mine aswell but the fiat does need tax. It's actually 205 as it's 1 gram above the limit for 180 lol.
Didn't drive it as need to go to work but will do it tomorrow amd double check everything, haven't agreed to the deal yet so can still walk away, its had 3 owners although the first one was fiat and the last 2 owners he's knows, the last owner bought it off him in 2012 amd now he's px it for a peugeot people carrier.
To be fair Ive not been offered much more for mine and unfortunately noone seems to want to buy a vxr at the moment so I'm left with little choice but to px it.
What do you guys think?
Its the exhaust and steering wheel I'm worried about

Just been down there to see what they could muster up and basically he offers me 4k for mine so I told him no way, then he looked on AT and said ok il do a swap plus he said he will do the following
Replace cambelt
Check the rear exhaust as it's corroded a fair bit around the box. Now he onky offers a 3 month warranty but has agreed in writing that if the box blows, leaks etc within six months he'll replace it.
The steering wheel needs replacing but he won't do it but he will try and source one and if he can't he'll give me 50 quid towards a new one if I can find one. Il take the tax off mine aswell but the fiat does need tax. It's actually 205 as it's 1 gram above the limit for 180 lol.
Didn't drive it as need to go to work but will do it tomorrow amd double check everything, haven't agreed to the deal yet so can still walk away, its had 3 owners although the first one was fiat and the last 2 owners he's knows, the last owner bought it off him in 2012 amd now he's px it for a peugeot people carrier.
To be fair Ive not been offered much more for mine and unfortunately noone seems to want to buy a vxr at the moment so I'm left with little choice but to px it.
What do you guys think?

don't worry about the exhaust it is just the outer covering
steering wheels can be re-leathered for £150, they all wear like that

test drive the car and see what it is like

i am in Surrey and happy to come along with you to look it over - pm me if you like

Last edited:

Replace cambelt

What do you guys think?

Exhaust is nothing, good excuse to put a full stainless on :D
But the steering wheel could cost more than a full exhaust, end of the day it's top money for not top condition Bravo :(

Check the gear knob also, they wear 1st, and the hand break slide cover, they break and leave a open hole at the top when the hand break is down,

Well it's had 3 owners but one was fiat as it was pre registered. The interior seems ok, the leather does seem a bit worn on the gearknob and handbrake. Yes there is cheaper out there but they seem miles away. what it cost in the vxr to keep driving to see cars I'd lose 200 quid in a few days just on petrol. The outside looks well maintained in the whole alloys are mint. Cheap tyres on it but hey ho there only 17s so cheap to replace in the future although they have plenty of tread on them. Need to make sure that the cambelt replacement includes the waterpump that's one thing I did forget to ask.
Rob pm incoming shortly lol

Looks like strong money for an 07. Pretty sure you can get an 08/09 with lower mileage for that money. Though it is a dealer with warranty. If you happy with the deal then go for it.

Also, Royal Steering Wheels will sort that steering wheel out for £110.

Well I could be looking all day to get a cheaper car, ideally I'd like more off but at the end of the day it's going to save me a fair whack on insurance, fuel, tax and servicing. As long as it's not a dog il be happy lol.
Only do 8k a year tops so mileage won't go up too much.

a Bravo T-Jet sport is not really an economical car mate, is a sporty warm hatch

driven as intended averages 33 mpg, tax is £200 a year and insurance pretty high group
needs proper maintenance including the right oil and plugs every service

also has an appetite for front tyres and you will find yourself wanting to uprate the brakes

It's going to be considerably less to run the vxr. The vxr does 29 mpg on a motorway run, about 18-20 in town and can be single figures when floored service is £300 at least needs to be run on 97 super unleaded, tyres are £800, it's 485 tax for the year and is very high insurance. I'm not looking for economy just something cheaper. It's a 280 bhp car with fwd. Trust me it's alot more then the fiat to run lol

Last edited:
It's going to be considerably less to run the vxr. The vxr does 29 mpg on a motorway run, about 18-20 in town and can be single figures when floored service is £300 at least needs to be run on 97 super unleaded, tyres are £800, it's 485 tax for the year and is very high insurance. I'm not looking for economy just something cheaper. It's a 280 bhp car with fwd. Trust me it's alot more then the fiat to run lol

indeed but if you want an eco car buy a diesel version

Back