Technical Need Key Advice

Currently reading:
Technical Need Key Advice

Hackair

So, some of you may have seen my post about importing my Barchetta from Japan to Canada. It arrived in July and I am pleasantly surprised how good of shape it's in.

But I do have issues to deal with so it will pass a safety inspection here in Canada. Two major items being the dreaded airbag warning light. I am checking all the wire connections currently. The second is all the CV joints were worn, dry and boots mostly gone. Two new drive shafts ordered from Amazon in Germany.

The item that I'm hoping to get advice on is my key issue. I asked the dealler in Japan if there was a Red/Brown key with the car and they said no, so I knew I was going to have to deal with that.

I've found several sets of keys, locks, gas lid, and ECUs at Barchettaparts.com and Henk has been helpful. I just want to make sure I get the correct set.

My car is Nov. 2004 with dual airbags, ABS, AC and electronic throttle.

http://www.barchettaparts.com/catalog/index.php?route=product/product&path=22&product_id=1265

Will this set work?

Cheers

Well, I'll start by saying, I have a handbook but, it's all in Japanese. I'll try to go through it and see if I can find the section about keys. Maybe there will be good pictures.

I will try to attach pictures of both sides of my key. (singular) I only have one. I don't think that I have any 2 on it.

I appreciate all advice.

IMG_20200823_191039.jpg
IMG_20200823_191016.jpg

Last edited:
I found the section in the Manual. I think.
Key A should be Maroon (Red)
I have Key B (Blue/Grey) only and no code card.

IMG_20200823_192839.jpg

The lower key pic shows the symbol, little triangle on a pair of circles. There's no '2' next to it, so you have the 1st system, needing a red key.

I think the only answer is a full set of ECU/keys. Hopefully with a code card too.

But, before spending, have a search for 'red key', as this was across all models, and there have been many threads on this subject, so you may find definitive answers.

Are you sure you can't live with just one key?

I've had my 2003 B for 10 years without ever needing the red key (the blue/grey I use has the same marking as yours, and I have a red and a blue in unused condition, but no card). This could be famous last words of course, and I'm just a driver (certainly not an auto-electrician) but I've had the battery and other bits out & replaced without problem. When the airbag warning light came on, it was because of disturbing the connection under the driver seat and my local garage reset it.

You could spend a lot of time as well as money, changing everything needed for a complete new set of keys.

I’ve had had a few fiats/Alfa’s and never needed the red key....if you do want a backup though, I’d recommend getting your silver key cloned, most high street key cutters can do if for around £35, then at least if you do lose it it’s not a disaster?

The lower key pic shows the symbol, little triangle on a pair of circles. There's no '2' next to it, so you have the 1st system, needing a red key.

I think the only answer is a full set of ECU/keys. Hopefully with a code card too.

But, before spending, have a search for 'red key', as this was across all models, and there have been many threads on this subject, so you may find definitive answers.

Hi Bill, and everyone that has replied.

I have done a lot of reading on this forum and other sites that talk extensively about the dreaded "Red" key.
I'm not sure if I need to do the complete swap but am leaning towards that. Several other members state that they have gone without the "Red" key for many years.
What I may do is leave it for one year and work on getting smaller jobs done on the car like replacing the Japanese radio with one that works for FM radio in North America. And other such small jobs.
I have downloaded the english manual and it has been a great scource of information, it does appear to be in a bit different format that the one I have. Might be the difference between 2003 and late 2004.

I appreciate your opinions.
Cheers
Gary

Last edited:
I've had my B for 14 years and I've never used or needed the red key.

Ours is a 2005 CF3 model from new so 15 years ownership and never needed the Red Key.

Regarding replacement ECU/CODE/KEY kits the one should be careful and check part numbers or date of manufacture of the source/donor vehicle.

The later "B"s are CF3 (Euro 3 or better emission regulations) and have different part number ECU AND TWO lambda sensor so ECU from an earlier CF2 car is very unlikely to work.

Back