General need help calculating cost

Currently reading:
General need help calculating cost

rickyt

hi all, just been offered a job and it's a 300 mile round trip per week and i want to figure out how much it's going to cost in petrol, im driving a 1.6 dynamic, dont know how many miles per gallon it does and ive searched on here for it but no joy. not been on any long journeys in it so cant really estimate the size of the dint that it's gonna leave in my bank account :cry:

cheers

mike

depends on how you drive.. and the condition of the car.. on a 300 mile trip my 1.8 does about 45 m/pg at an average of about 65 mp/h (although economy driving is excruciating) so 45 m/gp should be easily achievable in a 1.6.. anyhow 300/45 is about 6.6 gal * 4.5 (this is obviously a rough guide) = one way trip is about 30lit.. at £1.10 per lit you'd be looking at £66 return (full tank)

cheers for that, i set myself a limit of £50 per week, and i had a funny feeling it would be over that, so i might have to turn the job down for the second time. unless i can get him to put the salary up even more (y)

i wish, it's approx 60 miles per day, just my luck, have a job offered to me twice, and it's too far away, and not enough money.

hmm you could bring a 1.6 to 55 + m/pg (boring driving and, as a more drastic option - removal of the rear seats and spare tire).. grm sorry dude

I did that kind of milage in a mini a few years back when I was promoted. Well actually more as it was 100miles a day I was covering! Used to use 2 tanks in the mini in a week! So I bought a diesel, cost the same in fuel and the economy was only a little better but I was able to do the weeks commute on 1 tank! lol Made logical sence at the time.

The 1.6 isn't known for being the most economic car in the Stilo range, but if its motorway milage (you've not said) then getting 40mpg should be do-able if you do 65mph say with gentle throttle.

If its back road driving stick to 55mph tops, and again try to be gentle with your right foot! Don't worry about folk passing you, get a good calming CD or tune into Classic FM (it really works in slowing you down), deep breaths and just enjoy the drive and you'll be amazed at your sudden increase in economy.

Alternately, drive like Twincamms did in his 1.6, get 20mpg and destroy your tyres, have a great time on the back roads cutting everyone up and driving like a hoon.... welcome the heart attack when it comes! lol

...but that is 300 miles a week (£33)

or do you mean it's 60 miles there and 60 miles back :confused:

getting confused now, it's 30 miles there and obviously 30 miles back, so it's 300 miles per week, are you saying it's only gonna cost me £33 per week to cover 300 miles???? sounds too good to be true that.

oh and to reply to stiloboys post, it's about 95% motorway driving, and there's not a cat in hells chance of me listening to classic fm, dont do that kinda music.

getting confused now, it's 30 miles there and obviously 30 miles back, so it's 300 miles per week, are you saying it's only gonna cost me £33 per week to cover 300 miles???? sounds too good to be true that.

if you meant that the total trip (there and back) is 300 miles then you'd be looking at only £33 ;)

Obviously, you should also allow for wear & tear on top of petrol costs.

I don't listen to Classic either, but trust me if you need to slow your driving down Classic helps lol.

95% Motorway driving, light throttle, keeping it to 65mph (70mph tops but never over) and you'll easily get 40mpg even out of the 1.6. No aircon though, fan on cold and up at number 3 if you need cool air lol, its plenty cooled as it rushes into the car at 65mph!

Enjoy your new job! :)

well first day today and after the 60 mile round trip the trip comp was saying range to empty = 539 miles!?!?! this cant be true, i was averaging 45mpg and doing about 60mph most of the way but im not sure the trip comp is right.

yer listen to Arg dude...he is always correct :) but if you need proof: 539/45*4.54609188 = 54.452078296 lit.. so yer.. that sounds correct Why? well since you did 60 miles @ 45 m p gal = 60/45*4.54609188 = 6.06145584 lit and if you add the two figures together you get: 54.452078296 + 6.06145584 = 60.513534136 lit wich is about right.. since you appear to have started your jouney with a full tank :ROFLMAO:

I considered LPG for a while, but was uncovinced! Yeah you pay half as much but then you get less fuel economy! Have you actually worked out the milage it takes to recover the installation cost? And the ongoing difference to your insurance?

Yep, as I said, about 20k in my 1.4 (driving style dependant).

Insurance isn't affected ;)

Road tax is also cheaper.

Cost per Litre is about 50% off, although ultimate saving per mile is about 1/3 at worst case senario :)

Back