Technical My wife's Cinquecento Sporting resurrection...

Currently reading:
Technical My wife's Cinquecento Sporting resurrection...

wowza, that really must have sentimental value, did you own it from new?

And tbh these comments on it never being safe ever again.. I understand the concerns people have but anything is fixable, anything. I'd not be surprised if done properly by hand by a single person who loves it and does everything properly with close attention to detail that it wouldnt end up stronger than your average brand new cinq back in the day, let alone all the ones left now hiding rot in invisible places.

And lets not forget all the cars that havent been crashed but left to rot somewhere that have been restored the world over, I seen so many projects over the years where once finished basically have nothing left of the original bar vin plates - i dont see how this is any different and noone gives them people crap or says they are wasting their time or that the resulting car is unsafe. End of the day a shell is just a 3D jigsaw puzzle of different parts of metal, theres no reason anything can't be fixed.

And ignoring all of that, a cinq is not a safe place to be in a crash period. A brand new one, an old rusty one, a modified one, a restored one... They all totally not the place you wanna be in an accident. I've crashed a seicento in my time, didnt even scratch the car i hit but utterly destroyed the sei. If you worry about safety then just dont get in a cinq/sei, simples.

So you carry on chap, its clear this is a forever car and I applaud your commitment to it. Please do keep this updated as you progress and we'll try keep you upbeat and positive about it when your feeling overwhelmed which is gonna be inevitable.

Last edited:
wowza, that really must have sentimental value, did you own it from new?

And tbh these comments on it never being safe ever again.. I understand the concerns people have but anything is fixable, anything. I'd not be surprised if done properly by hand by a single person who loves it and does everything properly with close attention to detail that it wouldnt end up stronger than your average brand new cinq back in the day, let alone all the ones left now hiding rot in invisible places.

And lets not forget all the cars that havent been crashed but left to rot somewhere that have been restored the world over, I seen so many projects over the years where once finished basically have nothing left of the original bar vin plates - i dont see how this is any different and noone gives them people crap or says they are wasting their time or that the resulting car is unsafe. End of the day a shell is just a 3D jigsaw puzzle of different parts of metal, theres no reason anything can't be fixed.

And ignoring all of that, a cinq is not a safe place to be in a crash period. A brand new one, an old rusty one, a modified one, a restored one... They all totally not the place you wanna be in an accident. I've crashed a seicento in my time, didnt even scratch the car i hit but utterly destroyed the sei. If you worry about safety then just dont get in a cinq/sei, simples.

So you carry on chap, its clear this is a forever car and I applaud your commitment to it. Please do keep this updated as you progress and we'll try keep you upbeat and positive about it when your feeling overwhelmed which is gonna be inevitable.

Hi,

Thanks for your words, you had resume better than I coud done the way I see the things, thanks!

To answer you, this car my wife bought it in 2010 with almost 147.000 kilometers, but for several reasons, for her the sentimental value has no prize so it wait to move into a new house with enough room to work properly on it.

Of course, I'll update this thread as the restorations begins but you must still wait for some months, sorry... as soon as we'll move into Belgium (or maybe the Netherlands) I'll start to work over the Cinq. And restoration will be planned in several years, not a 6 weeks work, so this thread will evolute very, very slowly...

Thanks to follow it and have a nice evening!(y)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

It's time to update my thread.... so... new life end 2019 moving from France to Belgium, so new house, with a big garage for 6 cars + 2 Vespa + all tools and spare parts....

So in February Cinque left its small French garage and make a trip to Belgium...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now the place is bigger than in the old French garage :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

So it's there, before my Renault Alliance cabriolet waiting that works starts...

attachment.php

Fortunately, I finished my moving some days before COVID-19 pandemic knocks hard in Europe and cross borders were still open... I've been so lucky in this way :worship:

Next months were at home, in home office and no much free time to work at car, that was in stand-by, but I started to disassembled it in order to analyse the damages and start to work in while my summer holidays (at these moments)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The trunk lid has moved frame to the right side, I'll fix it too.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So finally, mid July I start my 3 week's summer holidays and I had free time to work in the car, the goal is to get back the shell completely at it's original place and size before to drill weld points and cute damaged parts in order to weld new ones. After study of damages I realise that is better to keep as much as original parts of frame, so probably the only part I'll replace will be the windshield frame (and maybe I'll keep the original one, I'll study that):

attachment.php

I used a laser cross level to align the shell in a completely vertical and horizontal axis symmetrically way.

Slowly all part became closer into their original place...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Left side gaps are now OK (y)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Roof and right side goes well also...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mounting a right side door to check gaps...

attachment.php

attachment.php

And trunk lid now is centred:

attachment.php

Right side gaps are almost well, but some works is still needed:

attachment.php

And left side gaps are still OK:

attachment.php

The first results after 1 week's work with a basis of 3 hours per day:

attachment.php

Some works is still needed for windshield frame, but first I must verify all dimensions and gaps with a real windshield glass:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The trunk lid will be replace today:

attachment.php

But the gaps are good, they will be checked and adjusted with the new part.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Left side door gaps are also OK, but I'll completely adjust door with frame and front fender later:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Placing a windshield glass to check and mesure where and how many distance is still necessary to fix the frame:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The laser cross line level shows that shell is now completely symmetrically, only final adjustments are needed:

attachment.php

attachment.php

And testing the windshield with its rubber seal, red colour is a rust protect primary:

attachment.php

And that's all, this week I'll install 2 new front fenders, headlamps and trunk lid to fix and align all gaps. After that my summer holidays will be finished and works will be stopped for some months because I have no much free time, small works will be done in autumn and winter, but big steps will be only possible every year in summer season....

Greetings for you all guys, and stay safe in those hard days!

Last edited:
Dear Maxinou - it sounds like you have been unbelievably busy. I'm sure the folks on here (including me) would love to see some pictures of your hard work.

It is also great to have such a focus in these times.

Kind regards, keep up the great work and greetings from Scotland.

Dear Maxinou - it sounds like you have been unbelievably busy. I'm sure the folks on here (including me) would love to see some pictures of your hard work.

It is also great to have such a focus in these times.

Kind regards, keep up the great work and greetings from Scotland.
Dear Jamieboy,

Thanks for your words, I'm sorry because I discovered that my pictures seem not to be visible, at least from Android phones app.

It's strange because they're hosted into the forum directly, not on a external host...

Tomorrow I'll try to fix this.

Thanks again and greetings.

Well, I can't edit my post to fix the broken pictures, so I'll do a copy / paste here, with new good links (I hope) for lost pictures, thanks to Jamieboy who prevents me that links were broken because in my laptop pictures were visible yesterday (?)... mysterious of computers...:confused:

Below you'll read the good post:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

It's time to update my thread.... so... new life end 2019 moving from France to Belgium, so new house, with a big garage for 6 cars + 2 Vespa + all tools and spare parts....

So in February Cinque left its small French garage and make a trip to Belgium...

Cinque_00390.jpg

Cinque_00391.jpg

Cinque_00392.jpg

Now the place is bigger than in the old French garage

Cinque_00393.jpg

Cinque_00395.jpg

So it's there, before my Renault Alliance cabriolet waiting that works starts...

Cinque_00399.jpg

Fortunately, I finished my moving some days before COVID-19 pandemic knocks hard in Europe and cross borders were still open... I've been so lucky in this way

Next months were at home, in home office and no much free time to work at car, that was in stand-by, but I started to disassembled it in order to analyse the damages and start to work in while my summer holidays (at these moments)

Cinque_00403.JPG

Cinque_00404.JPG

Cinque_00405.JPG

Cinque_00415.JPG

Cinque_00421.JPG

Cinque_00436.JPG

Cinque_00437.JPG

The trunk lid has moved frame to the right side, I'll fix it too.

Cinque_00444.JPG

Cinque_00446.JPG

Cinque_00447.JPG

Cinque_00448.JPG

Cinque_00451.JPG

Cinque_00453.JPG

Cinque_00454.JPG

Cinque_00455.JPG

Cinque_00456.JPG

Cinque_00458.JPG

So finally, mid July I start my 3 week's summer holidays and I had free time to work in the car, the goal is to get back the shell completely at it's original place and size before to drill weld points and cut damaged parts in order to weld new ones. After study of damages I realise that is better to keep as much as original parts of frame, so probably the only part I'll replace will be the windshield frame (and maybe I'll keep the original one, I'll study that):

Cinque_00558.JPG

I used a laser cross level to align the shell in a completely vertical and horizontal axis symmetrically way.

Slowly all parts became closer into their original place...

Cinque_00577.JPG

Cinque_00587.JPG

Left side gaps are now OK

Cinque_00588.JPG

Cinque_00589.JPG

Roof and right side goes well also...

Cinque_00593.JPG

Cinque_00594.JPG

Cinque_00595.JPG

Mounting a right side door to check gaps...

Cinque_00618.JPG

And trunk lid now is centred:

Cinque_00638.JPG

Right side gaps are almost well, but some works is still needed:

Cinque_00639.JPG

And left side gaps are still OK:

Cinque_00640.JPG

The first results after 1 week's work with a basis of 3 hours per day:

Cinque_00642.JPG

Some work is still needed for finish windshield frame, but first I must verify all dimensions and gaps with a real windshield glass:

Cinque_00643.JPG

Cinque_00644.JPG

Cinque_00645.JPG

The trunk lid will be replace today for another one in good condition:

Cinque_00646.JPG

But the gaps are good, they will be checked and adjusted with the new part.

Cinque_00647.JPG

Cinque_00648.JPG

Left side door gaps are also OK, but I'll completely adjust door with frame and front fender later:

Cinque_00649.JPG

Cinque_00650.JPG

Placing a windshield glass to check and mesure where and how many distance is still necessary to fix the frame:

Cinque_00653.JPG

Cinque_00654.JPG

Cinque_00655.JPG

The laser cross line level shows that shell is now completely symmetrically, only final adjustments are needed:

Cinque_00683.JPG

Cinque_00686.JPG

And testing the windshield with its rubber seal, red colour is a rust protect primary:

Cinque_00721.JPG

And that's all, this week I'll install 2 new front fenders, headlamps and trunk lid to fix and align all gaps. After that my summer holidays will be finished and works will be stopped for some months because I have no much free time, small works will be done in autumn and winter, but big steps will be only possible every year in summer season....

Greetings for you all guys, and stay safe in those hard days!

Last edited:
So now it's time to update with last works.... a trunk lid (used) and two front fenders (NOS) arrived and I could continue the works with the shell

First of all I mount the trunk lid and check the gaps, they are good :)

Cinque_00733.JPG

Cinque_00739.JPG

Cinque_00740.JPG

Cinque_00741.JPG

Cinque_00742.JPG

Cinque_00743.JPG

Cinque_00744.JPG

Now it's time to clean the old sealant mastic to test and adjust line and gaps between engine bay, front fender and bonnet:

Cinque_00756.JPG

Cinque_00757.JPG

Cinque_00758.JPG

Cinque_00759.JPG

Then I check both suspension supports are at same height (-69 MM outside and -71 MM inside below laser level reference line) so they are OK and well levelled:

Outer right side:

Cinque_00773.JPG

Inner right side:

Cinque_00774.JPG

Inner left side:

Cinque_00775.JPG

And outer left side:

Cinque_00776.JPG

First results with front fender:

Cinque_00777.JPG

Cinque_00778.JPG

Cinque_00779.JPG

Cinque_00783.JPG

Cinque_00785.JPG

Cinque_00786.JPG

Gaps from trunk lid are fine:(y)

Cinque_00791.JPG

Cinque_00792.JPG

Cinque_00793.JPG

Cinque_00794.JPG

It's time to install the windshield, here it will be better protected than in a box in a coin, and I can verify if windshield frame is completely at its place:

Cinque_00795.JPG

Cinque_00796.JPG

The rubber seal goes perfectly in all windshield perimeter:

Cinque_00797.JPG

Cinque_00798.JPG

Cinque_00799.JPG

Cinque_00800.JPG

Cinque_00801.JPG

Cinque_00802.JPG

Cinque_00803.JPG

Cinque_00804.JPG

Cinque_00805.JPG

Cinque_00809.JPG

Checking gaps with right door, OK too (y)

Cinque_00810.JPG

And some general pictures to see the global result:

Cinque_00811.JPG

Cinque_00812.JPG

Cinque_00813.JPG

Cinque_00814.JPG

Cinque_00818.JPG

Cinque_00819.JPG

And as holidays are finished works will be almost stopped until next summer, in winter I'll work body panel dents with a spotter and other works but time will be very limited so no big progress will be attempted until next summer.... so.... that's all folks!

That is impressive! Well done!
I wonder if he has finished it yet...?
Hello everybody, thanks for update this thread, since last time I wrote here not much changes, because after 3 years living in Belgium I realized that live in France was better than in Belgium, so I changed my job, and in January 2023 I came back in France, and Cinquecento too...

Cinque 00851.jpg

Cinque 00852.jpg

Cinque 00853.jpg

The new home has a small garage stairs-down, smaller than Belgium one, but driest than Belgium garage, thaw was really wet, so first thing to do it's to study how to park the 6 cars and 2 Vespa scooter....

Cinque 00861.jpg

Cinque 00869.jpg

During 2023 I basically register in France all vehicles that were in Belgium or Spanish plates, that took me almost all year.... Cinquecento waits but it's runs sometimes to keep the engine in service

Cinque 00889.jpg

Cinque 00877.jpg

Laptop is as vintage as car, almost ;-)

Cinque 00886 (2).jpg

So basically 2023 has a year where I found some pieces not so easy to find, as:

An NOS bumper for Sporting version with air conditioned:

Cinque 00921.png

Cinque 00988.jpg

A NOS airco condenser + dehumidifier bottle + hose that was broken into the accident:

Cinque 00983.jpg

Cinque 00996.jpg

Cinque 00985.jpg

Heating radiator:

Cinque 00982.jpg

Complete front face + both radiator support to replace the damaged one:

Cinque 00990.jpg

4 Bilstein B4 news

And some accessories like:

A couple of old NOS rear mudguards:

Cinque 00994.jpg

A NOS Fiat Lineaccesori original alarm system for Cinquecento

A NOS Fiat Lineaccesori rear spoiler (the Zender spoiler from kit Abarth)

Cinque 00973.jpg

A 6 speed gearbox from a 1.2 80HP Punto Sporting, that is now opened at my garage to check / replace bearing, synchro and seals:

Cinque 00936.jpg

Cinque 01004.jpg

I make also the spacers that avoid wheels to touch the gearbox in bronze:

Cinque 00992.jpg

I'm working actually into my other cars and deal is to start again works into Cinq before this summer, in order to try to finish at summer of 2026, as it's 30th birthday.

Even if works seems to be paused, really now I have almost all pieces to restart again the restoration in some months.

I'll keep this thread updated as soon as works restarts.

Greetings from France !

Looks like you certainly know how to source the parts! Finding spare parts is almost like a hobby for me. Years and years ago I had a Renault 11 Turbo, phase 2. Lovely car, just ate Turbos.

Looks like you certainly know how to source the parts! Finding spare parts is almost like a hobby for me. Years and years ago I had a Renault 11 Turbo, phase 2. Lovely car, just ate Turbos.
Thanks, I like a lot also to look for the rare spare part, looking for all the pieces were broken for airco system lets me to found also the rear spoiler, the mudguards, the alarm and even the front bumper.....

I put myself the deadline in 26 months, to finish the car for it's 30 birthday (summer 2026), so next months I'll start the second big works from summer 2020

Nice you had in the past the 11 Turbo, mine still has original turbo (I think) but I changed in 2008 crankshaft and pistons because they were out of dimensions. I have actually big carburettor problems, so it's one of the reasons I doesn't start yet big works into Cinq. I'm removing the engine of my Renault Alliance convertible (replacing old 1.7 litres for a 2.0 litres of Laguna) those days, and working in the turbo carburettor, then I need to change front wheel bearings of my 1973 Alpine A110 and repair one of my Vespa scooter..... after then, the works into the Cinq will restart.

Last edited:
Back