General My Uno

Currently reading:
General My Uno

As a few off you know my Uno was going in today to get fixed!!!!!

Well it has but he's also told me there are even more problems with it.;););)

I ain't no mechanic but maybe some off you can tell me what he was on about[?][?][?]

For starters when I pull away it shudders, and is sometimes is very sluggish, he said it is the throttle body and it may need replacing.
What the hell is a throttle body[?][?][?]

A water pipe from under the engine by the oil filter needs replacing, if not it will eventually go and i'll be stuck[V][V][V]

The sound of gushing water from behind the dash, he's told me it could be a minor problem or a major problem, any suggestions, he's going to investigate after xmas

So all in all a very expensive.

Finally found out why my wheels where scrubbing on the inside, the tracking needs doing, which I never took it to have, he's on about something to do with the hubs, there adjustable, like a nut and bolt sort of thing. If these don't stop them scrubbing he told me to take it back, and he'll sort it out with a hammer:D:D:D

So have a merry xmas I know I will be:p:p:p

Gaz

Looks Good, Drives Sh!t.

Merry bloody Xmas huh.....

The throttle body is in the carb and they do wear, i suppose it could cause the lurching symptoms..but so could a whole heap of other things... ask him to keep the old bits for you to see that he really changes em.

As for the hose, well it could be worn.. as before ask to see the old one.

The gushing water could be an airlock or something worse... so he is right there..

I would have your tracking adjusted by someone who has the correct gear too.. he may not have. Tracking is worth doing as it stops tyres being worn out long before they should for starters... did he say the front tyres were still legal?

have a great Xmas and get drunk!!!

Punto 1.7D

Cheers euro,

Yeah the fromt wheels are still legal, just about, i've taken about 1/2 inch off them where they been scrubbing, if you lock over to the left you will see where they've been scrubbing, if your not sure what i'm on about, is it the suspension plate or something[?][?][?]

It's been cutting out and lurching for ages, i've had the lamda sensor replaced cause some goon put the wrong one on[:(!][:(!][:(!]
But it still happens, so I will leave it to much fuss.

I think I can trust him cause my dads been going to him for years, and he's done all the servicing on my car[^][^][^]

Have a Merry Xmas:D:D:D

Gaz

Looks Good, Drives Sh!t.

Hello Gaz.
Sorry to hear about your car. A great start to the new year !

You mention juddering when pulling away, what was the eventual cure for that please? At first glance, I would have said a problem with the clutch but perhaps your man has seen this before.

Appreciate your help, regards Pete.

Hiya Pete,

The problem with the juddering was the throttle body[?][?][?], I don't know what it is but it seemed to help.

Hope this helps:p:p:p

Another thing, the day before I crashed my car I had the AA out to it, it would'nt start and when it did you had to keep the revs otherwise it would die on you.

After fiddling around the engine the AA man showed me a nut that he had found, it fell into the carburettor and was stopping the fuel from getting through[:(!][:(!][:(!]

Things can only get better;););)

Gaz[^][^][^]

Looks Good, Drives Sh!t.

Hello Gaz.
Thanks for the confirmation.

The throtle body is the lower half of the SPI unit, where the throttle potentiometer is sited and a number of adjusting units that feed information to the ECU are mounted. The throttle potentiometer is a known failure item but I was given to understand that when it did, the failure was sudden and the car would not start at all. This question of "juddering on pull away" I will have to investigate further.

Thanks again for oyur help, Pete.

my uno has been juddering like crazy when pulling away for ages... never thought it could be the throttle body!

do you know much it was to replace this bit? could it be done yourself?

i need to get it fixed because im selling my uno soon ;) and i cant have it jumping and bouncing around all over the road on the test drive can i?! :D

I had cav 1.8i that had the same sort of porblem, it was the air inlet pipe from the air box to inlet manifold.
It had a hole in it,where the ridges are (concertina type thingie) letting air in and missing a air sensor in the air box.
When I pulled away the ECU did not know what the engine was doing, so i had all sort of problems,.....it was ok at 10 mph+ .
When the engine powered up it moved more and so let air in because it was stretching the pipe and the hole open, when the car was going faster the movement was less so the hole in the pipe closed up. I changed the pipe all ok :D:D

RED HGT[8D]

rear wiper working

Hang on a minute, lets not jump to conclusions here.

I am not saying that the throttle body is the problem, just that it has been suggested that it is.

I want positive confirmation before I rush out a purchace a new unit.

Rgds, [email protected]

ATTN UNO MAN.
Bare in mind that the car mentioned above is a Mk2 Uno with SPI. Yours is a MK1 on a carb, it does not have a throttle body as such. The fact that you are having a similar problem suggests that the problem could be elsewhere but something common to both types.
The clutch perhaps.

Someone out there has seen this before and knows what the cause is.
How about it folks????
[email protected]

there were a couple of explanations i thought of to explain the juddering,
1. worn clutch driven plate (?)
or
2. engine mounts

by the way, if you stick your head under the bonnet and 'shake' the engine, it does actually seem to move around quite a bit and i dont mean the car moving around on the shocks.

i take it to replace the engine mounts you need some lifting gear and preferably a garage? any rough ideas of cost?

cheers :D

uno.jpg

It will vary from car to car, but whenever I've had to do them, all I have used is a trolley jack to take the weight and just change one at a time. Stick the car up on ramps or stands if you need more space underneath, and for god's sake be careful if you're working under an engine supported by a trolley jack!

Pete.
Cinq sporting 1242cc
http://mysite.freeserve.com/close_to_cracking_up/

About the water...

The bubbling water is propably hot water going through the system. It does not happen when the air temp. lever is set to "cold" or blue color. Turn over to "hot" when driving and the water/coolant from the radiator/engine is flushed through the heating system inside the cockpit... My Mk2 Uno has done this at any outside temp. from -25C to +35C. I don't think there is more to it than that.

Morten.

Back