General My 595 Turismo

Currently reading:
General My 595 Turismo

Lot of interesting comments above, Rui thanks for hunting the links, tbh I have thought about the Porsche but not considered it due to assumptions on service costs... I would not have looked at the Maserati, but its an eye opener as to how cheap some decent cars are and they look good.

I can not shake off my experience with the 205gti and then the 405sri, if you have driven either you will understand - the only french brand I like is Peugeot - jumping from motorbike to a 205/405 in those days was still enthralling. For kicks, the Clio and DS3 will work but they are not sophisticated or fashion icons, at 50 (yes, got there now, wtf !!) I don't particularly want to be seen coming out of those, I can get away in the TA.

Maxi, you talk about the price at £20k, but money is not worth as much as it used to thanks to QE. 306 Gti !! how about Toyota GT86/Sub. BRZ but at £28k.

RUI have you driven the Peugeot RCZ, how does it compare to the TT.

RUI have you driven the Peugeot RCZ, how does it compare to the TT.

I have not driven the RCZ, I have had a 106 GTI that was great, a 306 GTI 6 and a 206 GTI 180 but the 106 was far the best.
The new stuff is just all so soft. I have no interest in the brand any more.

Hmm... I think I'd still take the 595. The Bentley is a disaster waiting to happen & the Maserati is nice but just too fragile / expensive as a daily driver - not to mention insurance. The 6 year old Porsche is just not special enough and whilst probably relatively risk free in terms of reliability is still a 6 year old Porsche and a VAG to boot. Unfortunately it's going to have a bit of an image problem IMHO as a reasonably successful hairdresser's car?

Hmm... I think I'd still take the 595. The Bentley is a disaster waiting to happen & the Maserati is nice but just too fragile / expensive as a daily driver - not to mention insurance. The 6 year old Porsche is just not special enough and whilst probably relatively risk free in terms of reliability is still a 6 year old Porsche and a VAG to boot. Unfortunately it's going to have a bit of an image problem IMHO as a reasonably successful hairdresser's car?

and the 500 is a trainee hairdressers car?
I gave no thought to that list just had a quick look at autotrader, I am sure there are better cars for the money but at the end of the day the person with the money will buy what they like.

I have not driven the RCZ, I have had a 106 GTI that was great, a 306 GTI 6 and a 206 GTI 180 but the 106 was far the best.
The new stuff is just all so soft. I have no interest in the brand any more.

It's not even that it's soft, they just don't care about designing a decent chassis anymore.

I suspect it handles ok, but they don't rave about it like they do with the older cars.

I think all of Peugeots chassis engineers relocated to Renault Sport years ago!
The best part of the small Pugs were simply that they were simple, cheap and light cars that were fun to drive. Exactly what new cars aren't.

New cars are mainly:
complicated for no reason
heavy
expensive
and generally not fun to drive = )

I think all of Peugeots chassis engineers relocated to Renault Sport years ago!
The best part of the small Pugs were simply that they were simple, cheap and light cars that were fun to drive. Exactly what new cars aren't.

New cars are mainly:
complicated for no reason
heavy
expensive
and generally not fun to drive = )

Awesome... Why does one need a start/stop button, a button to replace handbrake, merc had that stupid lever, auto park, distronic, I can't be bothered to turn my head so show me if a car is in my blind spot indicator. A lot of this stuff is utter nonsense.

When I look at the Abarth option upgrading from a TA it makes sense to spend a bit extra and go for the Turismo, Tony just out of curiosity what sort of offer /period did you go for, 2 yrs or 3 yrs ?

This is one is interesting at 0% pay half now and half after 2 yrs, can you see any flaws in this ? http://www.abarthcars.co.uk/uk/CMSUK/Documents/595Turismo_APP(0Perc)_Q12013.pdf

2 years interest free using my A500 as p/ex (£9,000.00) and some cash to make up the balance. Although I appreciate that some people are not fortunate enough to be able to pay cash I dislike the idea of paying for finance so always pay in full if possible. So earning some interest on the money I would have paid up front makes good sense.

FLAWS? The only one I could see was the limited annual mileage but if you are not giving the car back at the end of the term I can't see a problem.

Last edited:
Just been down to the dealership today to give them my insurance details so that they can register it ready for pick up next Saturday. Went for a new 13 reg and put my 606 KPO on retention, not sure if I will wait until 2014 before putting it on the new car or whether to do it sooner.
I was offered a selection to choose from but couldn't make any significant words from them using the 13 as a letter B so settled on one that was appropriate for an old timer like me (and Chas :p) HF13 SZZ :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

I know Maxi will tell me off for putting my reg on a public forum but as I use it as my Avatar it's hardly a secret. ;)

Whilst chatting to the guys at Westover Sports Cars I asked how many new Abarth 500 were going out on the first 13 registrations and although there are several NP A500s pre registered it seems that I will have the only 595 in the area for the near future. ;)

I was offered a selection to choose from but couldn't make any significant words from them using the 13 as a letter B so settled on one that was appropriate for an old timer like me (and Chas :p) HF13 SZZ :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Bet you can't wait, sorry have to leave off as having to go and catch a few Z's:D:sleep::sleep:

Just been down to the dealership today to give them my insurance details so that they can register it ready for pick up next Saturday. Went for a new 13 reg and put my 606 KPO on retention, not sure if I will wait until 2014 before putting it on the new car or whether to do it sooner.

I know Maxi will tell me off for putting my reg on a public forum but as I use it as my Avatar it's hardly a secret. ;)

Whilst chatting to the guys at Westover Sports Cars I asked how many new Abarth 500 were going out on the first 13 registrations and although there are several NP A500s pre registered it seems that I will have the only 595 in the area for the near future. ;)

Nice one!
Not to worry about the numberplate, maxi is a bit paranoid sometimes = )

On subject of the number 13 the new registration plates here are 131 to help new car registrations. Also there may be an increase in the export of secondhand cars from the UK with reports of the Euro heading for parity with Sterling.

In the value for money stakes, buying a car is like buying a dog. You can pay the same price for a Poodle as a Rottweiler. Technically you could argue that the Rotti is better value for money. But if want a Poodle then a Rotti will never appeal. Get my drift? ; )

My dachshund is better than a Rottie though :p

Our bichon frise is basically the doggie version of a BNW Fiat 500 - small, cute, white, popular with girls (and has very small emissions, I'm pleased to say).

This is not her, but for anyone who does not know what they are like:

Bichon-Frise-8.jpg

Back