Punto (Mk2/2b) my 1.6 soon to be turbo!

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) my 1.6 soon to be turbo!

christianlafond2009

1.6 Punto Expert!
picked up the car for a couple of hundred quid and then got offered a 1.4 gt manifold, turbo, cooler and pipework, whenever i can find the time itll be a nice little turbo track car, so far spent so much trying to get it up to scratch, it is lowered by 45 mm front and 50 mm rear and has a new sports exhaust and de-cat, needs a new fuel tank, a few panels and lamda sensor but may just leave it out, turboing the 1.6 is a straight forward job and is almost childsplay but the hard part is finding an oil feed for the turbo, some just tap off the oil pressure switch but i prefer to run a seperate oil circuit with a catch tank and electric pump, that way there is no metal fragments running through the turbo.

Running without a lambda is probably going to be more trouble than it's worth. I just picked up a wideband innovate for £95. Guage and sensor.

I've never looked closely at a 1.6, but does it not have the two cap head plugs by the oil pump, near the oil filter? One of these will provide filtered oil (I can never remember which one, but an oil flow diagram for your engine will make it all clear).

hey thanks for any help and running without lamda will make it run rich all the time making it use more fuel but a power gain, in most fiats the lambda sensor turns off at full throttle and i have not properly checked for oil feeds off the engine but what we have done before is a t peice off the the oil pressure sensor but not really up for that again and trying a completely seperate idea to see how it works :) any other ideas let me know :)

On uTube there are videos of a 1.6 Cinq tub by Kyriakos Hatzis (or Xatzis) -- aka GreekDragster. That's said to put out 388bhp. The Greeks tub 1.6 Alfas, too (maybe the same lump?)

I hate overfuelled engines -- little destroys an engine faster than bore wash, and then, for driveabilty, you're going to need a good map. I'd go Megasquirt (assuming tight budget -- but tight budget and turbo don't sit well together).

The only common uses of pumps in turbo cars are those wierd Harold rear mounted turbo jobs. They use a pump (but only on the scavenge side) simply because there's no other way to drain the turbo. Adds a lot of possibilities for things going badly wrong, though.

yeah i seen that cinq.. I couldn't work out what engine it had, i thought from one of the video descriptions it had a honda B16 engine but i can't find that one now :( that cinq is mildly amusing but completely silly, i reckon my 1.1 8v turbo would thrash it round a track as it just look un-drivable.

i meant I not seen one of the puntoGT's made into a 1.6 - although i would say with the amount of stuff you can already do to a PGT to make it fast is there alot of point in going 1.6? Other than just because you can of course.

Back