General Multijet Recall

Currently reading:
General Multijet Recall

Highlander

Well did anyone else get the dreaded letter from Fiat this morning?????. It seems there is a chance of the fuel feed pipe being damaged on the air cleaner box, which could result in fire. Its an immediate recall. As far as i'm concerned this is the straw that broke the camels back, the good lady was told this morning she can keep it till the end of the year, (2 years old), and the she gets another Mazda.

Tara Ian.......( VERY GRUMPY)

Yep, Mazda, Honda, anything in fact, that will run for 3 years and does not require trips to the garage.
Including this recall which Arnold Clark knows nothing about yet, and cant look at the car till next Saturday, (yet the car could be a fire hazard ), and who did not even offer a courtesy car for the next week. It has been back in for 4 separate faults over the past 18 months. Now I dont know about your folks but I dont have the time to run around Fife trying to get a car sorted.

Tara Ian (might just go and set fire to it myself)

Last edited:
Thanks Jai, but not wanting to alarm anyone, but i've just done a google search on vehicle recalls, and would you believe it there is one there that covers quite a few Fiats (including the Panda), and is no way related to this fire risk problem. Funny they aint contacted me about that one.

Tara Ian

probably a clip required to keep pipe away from rubbing??

i would imagine so, like a spacer, etc. i do recall H's mjet seemed to vibrate a bit more than the petrol ele's when we had them side by side at stanford

but i've just done a google search on vehicle recalls, and would you believe it there is one there that covers quite a few Fiats (including the Panda), and is no way related to this fire risk problem.

put the links up ian, lets have a butchers, will add if required to the stickies for prospectives

just to add a little perspective:

http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=225510

thats over 8000 cars at £30k+ that could do the same

or:

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/dyna/rapex/create_rapex.cfm?rx_id=121

again second from bottom, how may golfs in ireland ready to flambe their drivers?

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for the web pages. I reproduced some of the second ones here - Cunsumers Europe.

I note that they speak of Multijet recall then on to talk about Petrol. It also appears to be only from July '05 onwards. That means that my MJ is too old to be affected !!

"Category: Motor vehicles
Product: Passenger cars - Fiat Panda

Brand: Fiat
Type/number of model: Panda Multijet. Cars produced in the period between July 2005 and January 2006 having series numbers from 445385 to 573368.
Country of origin: Poland

No picture available.

Fire

This product poses a risk of fire because a petrol pipe which rubs against air filter trunk may be damaged. This can result in petrol leakage in the engine chamber. "

BJ20

Last edited:
yep crank pulley...only affects a very small batch of pandas,puntos,GP's & ideas,quite a old recall that.Vosa tends to be a couple of months behind issued recall date by factory.

Really didn't know about the panda fuel pipe one.

Stranger and Stranger, Wifes car was registered Jan 05, so how come the recall letter, like BJ20, I would have thought the car too old. hmmm another Fiat cock up I wonder??.
As stated the service folks at good ole Arnie's did not know what I was talking about this morning "never heard of it boss, but bring it in next saturday and we will look at it ".
I pointed out the fire risk element in the letter, and what about the drivers safety, plus can you find out if the car is safe even to drive the 30 miles to Dunfermline. His reply " I dont know anything about it boss, but if you smell hot diesel, i'd stop".
Laugh of Cry, I ask myself.

Tara Ian

Dealer I think is telling you truth Ian (bout not knowing bout recall!)...I'm wondering if recall details/instructions have been released yet because I looked the other day and there was nothing new.........:chin:
What will happen is you will go there by which time details are released ony to be told "bring it back in few days as we need to order parts"!!

I had a Suzuki that was recalled for brakes and I know a Toyota that was recalled for an engine mod. So all manufacturesrs are affected.:D

I wouldn't get paranoid about this. Britons are all becoming a bit scaredycat IMHO.

It's quite hard to set light to diesel. If you throw a lit match in a puddle of diesel, the match will go out. I had an old Ford Transit a couple of years ago, which had a split fuel pipe just above the cylinder head, dripping diesel onto the hot engine. The symptoms were rough running and a loss of power, as it was only running on 3 and a bit cylinders, although this van was so slow and noisy anyway, I didn't notice until 30 miles into my journey when I hit traffic, and was engulfed in foul smelling fumes. The AA came out, and said "they all do that, sir" and then replaced the fuel pipe. It wasn't a very big problem, and not nearly as dangerous as you might expect, simply because it is so hard to burn diesel. If it happened to the petrol car, then I'd be worried. And flambd.

It's quite hard to set light to diesel.

Yes, I had an engine mounted lift pump leaking and diesel fuel leaking all over the back of the engine and onto the exhaust on a Maestro diesel. (twice in 130,000miles)

I drove miles like that to get home and, no problems. lots of fumes and fuel oil everywhere but no fire.
Then same again with a leak off tube.
If it were a petrol engine I could understand the safety concern but not with diesel.

I have a Multijet too in a Punto van built about march 2005, dont know if thats part of the recall or whether its the Panda only?

( To be honest, I thought something letting go and spraying the engine bay with diesel was normal, but I`ve been ok since leaving Rover)

Regards

I've got to agree with you guys, heavy oil is not the easiest of stuff to set fire too.

I had a look at the pipe today, and although it's close to the air box case it's not touching it, so maybe our one is ok. What i would say is that if you were to break the pipe at that point the fuel will hit the manifold, maybe this is Fiats fear.

We can only assume that there have been cases of the pipe getting damaged and starting a fire that Fiat have taken this action to recall.

I'm not knocking Fiat for putting up there hands and saying that there's a fault and it needs sorting, It's better to do that than be like Ford and Renault who tried to cover up faults. What i would say though, if there is any chance of a car going on fire due to a manufacturing fault would it not make more sense to have the vehicle checked at once either by the AA, RAC, or even the dealer sending someone out.
I would have thought it better to do this than maybe have some old lady getting cremated whilst driving to the dealer.

Tara for now. Ian

Back