General multijet owners!! does ur engine make a ticking noise for about 20 secs when cold

Currently reading:
General multijet owners!! does ur engine make a ticking noise for about 20 secs when cold

every morning on the way to work i start up bravo i hear a ticking/tapping noise, only lasts for about 20 secs or so then disappears. the oil is on max, i dont rev it, its only 7 months old with 9k on the clock. just want to know if its normal. do injectors make this noise. im think of changing my oil as i gt another 9k to do. i do alot of motorway journeys. 1200 miles a month. im thinking of putting 10w 40 in the winter and switch back to 5w 40 for the remainder.
btw its the 150bhp multijet 1.9 sport

Similar model for me - 6.6k, 4 months old, 1.9 multijet sport.

No noise that you mention on mine though.

Isn't making noise the point of having a diesel? :D
(sorry, couldn't resist...)

In a way you may be right.

Diesels are noisy tappity sounding engines. It may just be that due to it being a cold start the noise is a bit more obvious until the engine gets moving and gets some heat in it.

My Laguna Dci always used to be more noisy come a cold start but after a few mins settled down to the 'normal' diesel noise.

Where do u hear the noise coming from? Do u start the car and the air-condition is on? It's not actually normal in a brand new car but sometimes the cogwheel (or whatever its called) that is linked with the button that sets whether the air inside the car gets recycled or it's brought inside from the outside. I do not know the names of the parts but i had such a problem in an old car of mine and my latest one (Due to be changed in one month by the coming Bravo :) ) does it too...

My 1.9 MJet has 7k on the clock and has always been a bit 'tappety' for the first couple of mins or so.

Never owned an evil diesel before so I've always assumed this was normal!

mine makes that noise all the time like a clicking/tapping noise,i took mine in to fiat and they sed there was nothing wrong with it.so dont worry bout it mate

Mine sounds like a tractor when first started up in the morning, I don't particularly like my neighbours though, if I had I would have bought a petrol (they especially didn't like me going to work on the harley:devil:)

Always better in summer when they change the fuel(y)

care to elaborate on that :confused:

I had an FTO that was a bit clicky on start up - it was the hydralic tappets that were causing it when the oil all drained into the sump overnight.
24 of the thirsty little bleeders - but soon as the oil was circulated it was fine but on this occasion I think its just the general diesel engine noise till it warms up :yuck:

Diesels are clattery when they are cold, and more clattery in winter when suppied with winter fuel, which is thinner and has an anti-waxing agent to prevent it getting too viscous.

every morning on the way to work i start up bravo i hear a ticking/tapping noise, only lasts for about 20 secs or so then disappears.
Hi there.I know it's been a lot of time but did you manage to find out what was the problem.I have the same issue now.Thanks

I have a 1.6D. It does make this sort of noise for a while. It seems to be something to with the cold start set up. There is a slightly different tickover speed for a couple of minutes too. The glow plugs run on for a while after the car starts and there are probably other things going on too with timing and injection. If in any doubt take to a Lucas CAV or Bosch service centre they are really helpful and know more about diesel engines than any dealer will and offer advice free when I have asked..

The thing is that it only done twice so far.And it was on the morning start.Also it developed a starting issue.It does start everytime but it hesitate for a second or 2 when you crank it up.Its like running out of fuel.When it starts the first second the whole car is shacking.

Back