Technical MPG nowhere near book on 58plate Diesel? Help!!!

Currently reading:
Technical MPG nowhere near book on 58plate Diesel? Help!!!

When I had my 500 think my average was around the 57mpg mark. That was a combo of the odd longish run, but mostly a 5 mile commute to work via country roads. When I had to travel up north on the A1 all was fine as long as I stuck to 60mph. But as soon as I decided to increase speed the instant mpg dropped a fair bit. Probably something to do with the smaller engine working much harder.
Now my current car is far far better at motor way speeds. Driving a BMW 118d at the moment. Average mpg currently is 50.4 and can easily get an instant mpg reading of well over 60mpg on the motorway (as long as right foot is very light). So the way its going, when the weather gets warmer etc, its looking like the BMW is going to be as economical as my 500 was. And the road tax is the same lol.

Last edited:
When I had my 500 think my average was around the 57mpg mark. That was a combo of the odd longish run, but mostly a 5 mile commute to work via country roads. When I had to travel up north on the A1 all was fine as long as I stuck to 60mph. But as soon as I decided to increase speed the instant mpg dropped a fair bit. Probably something to do with the smaller engine working much harder.
Now my current car is far far better at motor way speeds. Driving a BMW 118d at the moment. Average mpg currently is 50.4 and can easily get an instant mpg reading of well over 60mpg on the motorway (as long as right foot is very light). So the way its going, when the weather gets warmer etc, its looking like the BMW is going to be as economical as my 500 was. And the road tax is the same lol.

and your point is?

and your point is?

Should there have to be a point, couldn't see anything in the rules about this. Personally I was appreciating Porlus's contribution to to the thread, it was on topic and I was interested in the additional information. Silly me to think that unless you are confrontational and full of your own self importance then you should just keep quiet.

Maybe the point is that this is a friendly forum and if you do have something to contribute then you can do so without being crucified.

Last edited:
Interesting information there Porlus. I am going in the opposite direction to you mind coming from a 120i M Sport to a little 1.2 lounge.

From the calculations I have done I will save a fair amount of money, so quite happy with this. :)

I had a 118d a a courtesy car a few times whilst my 1er was in for servicing etc and to be honest the new ED models are brilliant, just not as brilliant as BMW claims - Mind i do have a heavy foot!!! :D

Should there have to be a point, couldn't see anything in the rules about this. Personally I was appreciating Porlus's contribution to to the thread, it was on topic and I was interested in the additional information. Silly me to think that unless you are confrontational and full of your own self importance then you should just keep quiet.

Maybe the point is that this is a friendly forum and if you do have something to contribute then you can do so without being crucified.

i hardly 'crucified' him LOL

glad you see the link between a BMW and a Fiat 'cos i didn't.

Last edited:
He started out by hilighting his 500s fuel consumption, which some have found poorer than expected. He then says his bigger engined BMW is as economical, a fair and valid point. If you cannot reply to posts without annoying everyone, then youll be in trouble again Rob:)

Here's something interesting for the Diesel owners;

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/petrol-vs-diesel/?deriv=39093#manu=2193&model=1662&deriv=39093

I'n glad I didn't go for the Diesel, I only do about 7,000 miles a year!

Hi Lloyd

I appreciate what you are saying but I didn't buy my diesel just for the economy - I just like the more relaxed driving associated with diesels.

I test drove all models and the diesel did it for me - I just like that low down torque.

Going back a few years when I was much much younger a petrol engine suited my driving style perfectly - not quite the boy racer but I had my moments :devil:. I loved to see how hard I could drive without the valves bouncing too much!!

So..... I suppose it's the usual case of horses for courses etc :)

Interesting information there Porlus. I am going in the opposite direction to you mind coming from a 120i M Sport to a little 1.2 lounge.

From the calculations I have done I will save a fair amount of money, so quite happy with this. :)

I had a 118d a a courtesy car a few times whilst my 1er was in for servicing etc and to be honest the new ED models are brilliant, just not as brilliant as BMW claims - Mind i do have a heavy foot!!! :D

Yeah according to BMW mine should attain 62.8 mpg combined average. Got no chance of seeing that. But should get to 55 at least. More than happy with that after the Punto HGT I was driving for 3 months lol.

To Rob W. No offence taken bud. People have set you straight with the comparisons of the 500 and BMW in my post.

Back