Technical MPG nowhere near book on 58plate Diesel? Help!!!

Currently reading:
Technical MPG nowhere near book on 58plate Diesel? Help!!!

You know that, I know that, but Ecodrive doesn't?

Hi Grim

I downloaded a new version of EcoThingy a little while back. It now recognises that my 1.3 has only 5 gears. There seems to be a few other minor fixes too.

With regard to fuel consumption - on long motorway runs, I am averaging around 65mpg. That's with an indicated 80pmh most of the journey.

Hi Grim

I downloaded a new version of EcoThingy a little while back. It now recognises that my 1.3 has only 5 gears. There seems to be a few other minor fixes too.

With regard to fuel consumption - on long motorway runs, I am averaging around 65mpg. That's with an indicated 80pmh most of the journey.

Hi Bax, I'm not unhappy with the fuel consumption on my car as I know that the limiting factor is my wife. She can't understand that driving the way she does is inefficient but for the sake of a few quid it's not worth arguing over. I know that when I drive the car the Fiat 1.3 MJT engine can be quite frugal.

Hi Bax, I'm not unhappy with the fuel consumption on my car as I know that the limiting factor is my wife. She can't understand that driving the way she does is inefficient but for the sake of a few quid it's not worth arguing over. I know that when I drive the car the Fiat 1.3 MJT engine can be quite frugal.

This is true for so many, many things. :devil:

(noticed that Lloyd on his video revved it so I've now been doing the same)

Erm....my consumption is averaged out at 38mpg so far so I wouldn't do anything you've seen me do! I only rev it once I've been running it for 20 minutes or so though, it seems to be loosening the engine up nicely. The acceleration in 1st is awesome! :D

I have since got the eco drive working and over 5 days my score was 75 which I though was good 'for a woman'.

I am going to set everyone a challenge on a new thread to check their mpg with the proper calculation on a full to full basis.

I am very cross that they adverise 68mpg combined and it only gets 53-55.

You shouldn't be cross. The tests are carried out under controlled conditions on rolling roads. In the real world there is weather, traffic, load, driving habits etc. to consider. And the parameters of that particular engine.

If you drive like a granny you will indeed save fuel, and then the DPF will clog up and you'll go into limp home mode and have to take it in.
You must get the engine really hot now and again to keep everything burnt out and clear, and this means driving hard, regularly.

Everything car makers say should be taken with a pinch of salt. The other day I was reading the blurb on the 500 on the Fiat website, and at one point it describes the 500s ride as "super-smooth". Erm yeah? Wheres that then? In Marshmallowroadland? Im quite happy to accept the 500 as it is and I love mine but honestly does this description fit it?

you need to think about how much of your journey is in 5th, how far you drive, whether you drive steadily or tend to fluctuate around a speed, how much you use the brakes, when you keep your window demister permanently on and the like.

I'm mainly motorway driving and pretty much tearing the car a new asshole everytime we hit the road - averaging about 50mph, accelerating childishly to 100mph - mpg floats between 55-60mpg depending on how many average speed cameras there are.

Driving up to Scotland, non-stop ~80mph, consumption hovers around the 48-50mpg mark.

I consider that pretty economical!

Driving up to Scotland, non-stop ~80mph, consumption hovers around the 48-50mpg mark.

Interesting; on a recent trip from the North East to Bristol, the 1.4 sport we have averaged 46.5 mpg, very good at the same speeds circa 80ish. So with fuel prices as they now are, I'm guessign it was cheaper to travel in the 1.4 than the 1.3 diesel...

Interesting; on a recent trip from the North East to Bristol, the 1.4 sport we have averaged 46.5 mpg, very good at the same speeds circa 80ish. So with fuel prices as they now are, I'm guessign it was cheaper to travel in the 1.4 than the 1.3 diesel...

yes considerably cheaper and it sounds MUCH better

mpg gets even better when you lower it!

Last edited:
we get about 65 mpg tip tho we get less if we fill up at asda/tesco/sainsburys, fill up at shell or bp and we get noticeable more

I don't use the window de-mister or the window heater. I rarely use the brakes, I have a Land rover which I can get 3mpg over the combined book figure. I know most of you will think I am just a crappy woman driver but I am alot different to most (for a start I can park without doing a 20 point turn and I can anticipate a junction better than a lot of men, I dont stop at green lights thinking they are red and nor do I stop at a junction when there is nothing coming) the only time you will see me do something dippy is if my daughter is harrassing me.

I challenge any of you to get more out of my car (see also my other post about challenge your mpg 1.3 diesel only)
:bang:

Always at tesco but that is because we are avid collectors of BA miles and filling up there pays for our flights every year. Migyht try swapping as a one off though just to see. I've only ever noticed a difference in a petrol car whenyou use optimax fuel though.

BTW this tank just gone full to full computer said 62.1mpg actual figure was 56.7mpg so better than usual.

try standerd jet or shell ull notice the diference, supermarket fuel has different detergents in and burns quicker

Back