Most hated Occupation

Currently reading:
Most hated Occupation

Originally posted by dave
the people who decide what to spend tax payers money on

Um - would that be the government then - lol!!!!!
Matt

"No it's not a custard"
------------------------
[email protected]
------------------------
Van Aaken High Boost Turbo engine for sale - "0-60 in the low 7's and enough top end to get you very seriously banned!!"

Originally posted by bad_boy_racer
Originally posted by dave
the people who decide what to spend tax payers money on

Um - would that be the government then - lol!!!!!
Matt

"No it's not a custard"
------------------------
[email protected]
------------------------
Van Aaken High Boost Turbo engine for sale - "0-60 in the low 7's and enough top end to get you very seriously banned!!"
the government local government and the managers of the diffrent orginations they give it to nhs, police, lea etc they all seem to cut back on the wrong things,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not Email or PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead. Your reply may help someone else. Thank you
newsiggypic.jpg

Hmm government get my near vote.

Cold callers are also a good one..."Do yu want double glazing?". Tell them yu live in a cardboard Box:)

Having said that, my McJob (not McDodgy's) suits me fine!

Tom (AofB)

95 Cinq Sporting - Rattly GrpN Catback Exhaust, <font color="black">Buckets</font id="black"> and 3pt Harnesses,Sexy VW styleé dials (that look great, but dont work!! :)D)), 10" Sub and 6x9's, ETech Wing. Lots of Dirt!
1242cc Engine in car, not wired up, need new inlet manifold!!, boot delock soon, K+N still in garage!

Cold callers - the 'It's rented' line gets rid of 95% of them sharpish.

Alternatively, when some bugger's woken me up off nights to ask if I want a new kitchen, I'm just plain honest and say 'I'm sorry, but I don't entertain door to door sales'. Usually gets a rather confused look in return.

Pete.

Links: 1242cc cinq, turbo cinq, Cinqs&Seis Yahoo group, Clubcento

i put the phone down on someone mid sentence once (mum's never forgiven me arf arf...ah sh*t stick that joke in 'My Family') and 2 secs later she rang back and left me a snotty message saying that if i didn't want the holiday from the competition i mysteriously entered (obviously during one of my blackouts...i seem to enter an awful lot of competitions during those!) then i should have just said so!

Disclaimer: Any incorrect lexicography or grammar is entirely the fault of your eyes
RichieCWaves.jpg

Yes, the politicians it has to be.

I was not too keen on the Housing Officers at Norwich City Council because they never offered me a council flat. Their attitude was: "You work full time so you can afford to rent privately!"...which I did.

I am fairly sensible and quiet and have no kids. But Housing dept would rather let their properties to loose cannons who claim from the state and breed like rabbits.

Doesn't matter now cos I am buying a flat.

If i see one of them mofo steet salesmen approach me on the street I say "I own my own home, I have double glazing, I have a conservatory, I dont like crazy paving, Im on broadband, I have a contract phone and im not insterested in stock and shares Thankyou. Then carry on walking :D.

Social Workers always seem to get a bashing don't they, but having worked with a few I've decided they're not so bad, just overworked like most of us :rolleyes:

So I will have to give my vote to the mobile phone salesmen. You know the type, you fancy having a browse at the latest phones that are out, you step one foot inside the door and before you can blink there are three of them all asking you what you're looking for, what network, how many minutes you use, do you text, look this one even makes you a cup of tea. No amount of "I'm fine thanks I'm just looking" will get them away. And lately you don't even have to go in the shop, they are parading the street outside :eek: :p

I went into a mobile phone shop a few years ago and asked if they sold a battery for my (very obsolete! :eek: ) phone. The "salesman" obviously picked up from my mannerisms that I was a bit of a soft touch and then tried to flog me a new Nokia phone, getting one from under the counter. I almost got scuppered during his initial speil but forced myself back onto the original subject about the battery for my Motorola brick. "No, we don't sell them!" he said with a firm stare. :mad: I left the shop quick sharpish and I never went there again.

I got a battery in the end when I phoned up Motorola direct. I gave it to friends of mine last year after a charity shop rejected it :confused: and the brick is still going strong! :p

3 arent that bad... they told my brother his battery could blow up at any time so they're sending him a new one :) And if he sends the old one back he gets a tenner :D

I used to be really hated in my first couple of jobs - I did mortgage arrears and repossessions for Norwich & Peterborough Building Society and then went on to do Poll Tax/Council Tax & Non Domestic Rates recovery for Peterborough City Council...that accounted for the first 6 years of my working life but then I got better and have spent the last 8 years as an IT guy,

I was offered a temp contract working for a company to do outbound cold calling business to business mobile phone sales for one of O2's outsourcing agents a month or so ago.

Declined it on the grounds that I hate cold callers anyway, so im not going to do something i hate, but also having heard many bad things about the aforementioned outsourcer.

For the most part I don't think it is the job that is the problem it is the people. My mum used to work in a bank and the securicor van outside got a parking ticket, but then most traffic wardens wouldn't do that. You would also have to question the system. Traffic wardens are not there to raise money, they are there to stop illegal parking, so quota's should be irrelevant. Likewise, almost every Policeman I have known, seems to see themselves as better than the general public, whereas they are supposed to be public servants doing a service for the public. The majority of them have no idea about interpersonal skills and their attempts at diffusing situations usually make them worse, because they try to diffuse anger with force and authority, which will never work and is usually totally unnecessary. I have met other policemen and women who are lovely people.

As far as cold callers go, I love them all. They are the best stress relief ever, you can take out all your frustrations on them, take the **** out of them, lead them on then not give them the sale, waste their time. I do actually feel sorry for cold callers, because of the amount of abuse they get, but I equally feel like I am doing the individuals a service, because after calling me, they may decide to look for another job.

Having been a salesman, it is important to remember that you as the customer always have the control, because you make the final decision. Some salespeople will try to take that control away from, the particularly cunning ones will actually make you feel like you have more control while they are doing this, but never forget you have that control and use it to your advantage. Only listen to the salesperson when he is telling you something you want to know at all other times the information is for psychology and manipulation purposes only. By all means get friendly with salespeople, but only to the point where you can use it to your own advantage. In a buying/selling situation, there is no room for feelings, even though you may have feelings about what you are buying or selling. Fortunately most salesmen are insufficiently skilled or intelligent enough to use psychology and manipulation to their benefit and rely instead on building a rapport and winning your confidence or ideally your trust, but you should really look for the type that try to sell based on knowledge of their product/market and confidence in their product (look out for fakes, the sort whose trademark line is bull**** baffles brains).

I saw social workers were also mentioned. Again, I would say this is down to people rather than the job. Many people have had bad experiences with social workers, but again it is a difficult job and one which most people would only go into with the hope of benefitting others.

As with all jobs and all people, some do some things well others do different things well. If we were all perfectly vocationally suited to our professions, this thread probably wouldn't be here.

Back