Mk2 HGT vs 106 GTi/Saxo VTS

Currently reading:
Mk2 HGT vs 106 GTi/Saxo VTS

Im after something quicker than my sporting, that handles well and looks decent as standard or with a few, simple mods. It must be able to carry me plus 2/3 other people occasionally and a bag full of swim school equipment.

ibiza tdi FR
seat_ibiza_fr_front.jpg

add a remap, and some skirts, and some ICE- job done.

if i was 19-21 with a few grand to spend i'd probably have one of those tbh.

Last edited:
How about an accord type r?

209bhp and only weigh 1250kg, lighter panels than the other accords, a proper sleeper. You'd easily fit your stuff/people in it. Would be worth buying just to see the look on a civic type r owners face when he can't get past you.

3k would get you around a 2001 shape with say 80-90k on the clock, but 90k to a vtec is like 50k to your 16v.

How about an accord type r?

209bhp and only weigh 1250kg, lighter panels than the other accords, a proper sleeper. You'd easily fit your stuff/people in it. Would be worth buying just to see the look on a civic type r owners face when he can't get past you.

3k would get you around a 2001 shape with say 80-90k on the clock, but 90k to a vtec is like 50k to your 16v.

Yes good suggestion :). I've been looking at honda's myself actually. one thing to note that would shag him senseless on insurance IMO.

i thought about that more than once but insurance is silly even for me. the interior is crap on lesser specced models so you really need to get the type-r if you get an accord.

Yes good suggestion :). I've been looking at honda's myself actually. one thing to note that would shag him senseless on insurance IMO.

Yep the insurance is a killer, and it would have to be the type r. Recaro seats iirc?

I bet half of all CTR drivers don't even know the accord type r exists...

Emma's Dad sold his Ibiza Cupra R which was remapped to 212bhp and 225lb ft, about 6 months back when his 500 came (interim measure until his 500 Abarth arrives that he has ordered), overall the Ibiza is a decent well made car, but the ride quality is poor for a standard car, though much of that could be because of 17" wheels and low profile rubber, he actually but a slightly higher profile on and the ride improved at no determent to handling. In fact changing from the OE spec Pirelli's to Conti Sport not only improved ride, but traction control light didn't flicker on as often meaning tyres must have been generating more grip even with power increase.

Its of no coincidence that in Auto Express driver survey for 2007 of 140ish cars tested the Ibiza came dead last for ride, though I would expect lesser models than Cupra to ride a bit better being softer sprung.

I looked at Honda Accord Type R's a while back, never driven one, have driven a 1.8 VTEC Sport which was a pretty decent car overall. Underestimated by younger drivers, so often overlooked, so more are owned by mature drivers which can mean they get looked after better.

I agree with Jug, Coupe's are for men, my Celica GT4 is a Coupe :devil:

can i interest you in this?

mate of mine is selling, fully unmolested. immaculate! extremely immaculate, full leather. mongoose system, lowered 40mm and its rapid!!

robhdr3-1.jpg

Looks good, though I do like this bit in there FAQ's

"Why would I want to race a Fiat?
Fiat Racing; At first glance the Fiat is not the natural choice for a race car, notwithstanding its fine Italian heritage and pedigree."

Then it goes on to make a pretty unrealistic comment.

"However, our Unos, Puntos, etc are quite different to your normal shopping car. Most develop in excess of 100 bhp and handle like they are on rails. As a result, they are far faster than other hot hatch or saloon race cars but additionally, they are a lot cheaper to run."

That bit I find hard to take, because BTCC/WTCC are hot hatches and salons (OK bit extreme) Clio Cup series, the MINI Cooper Cup series, Leon Cupra series & even the LMA series is hot hatches and salons consisting of ex.BTCC cars and some very serious machinery including Trevor's 400+bhp Lancia Kappa.

I have watched the Fiat Challenge series on Motors TV, all UNO's and Punto's and looked great fun and an excellent way into cost effective racing.

Though this thread is about road cars. :)

Last edited:
Back