Technical MK2 Fusebox replacement

Currently reading:
Technical MK2 Fusebox replacement

DazBadge

Hi,
I'm hoping to retro-fit electric windows and central locking to my MK2, but need some support -

Can I just change the front part of the fusebox? :confused::confused:
or do I need to change both front and rear parts?:confused::confused:

If it's the latter do I need to replace the ECU aswell?:confused::confused:

Been to nearest breakers and quoted £60 for replacement ECU and all.
Will this mean I'll need 2 keys, 1 for ignition and 1 for locks??:confused::confused:

Really hope someone out there can help me!!!!! :worship:

Yeah, You'd need a new ECU & fusebox because they are coded to each other so it would make better sense to get a complete lockset/ecu/fusebox combo. Only trouble is there are a few different fuseboxes. An easier solution would be to get a remote locking set from E-bay and a window set from the same place.

Even easier would be to sell the car and buy one with these features already fitted (y)

Thats perhaps the most easiest way round it all, but sometimes not an option for some :p

I fitted a remote central locking kit on my punto and it took me half of day to get it all wired in and working perfectly, theres some cheap kits going about on fleebay and amazon (y)

which reminds me i need to send mine back cause the damn receiver unit stopped working :(

benny

I still have the kit I bought a couple of years ago...never fitted lol

I should probably get rid lol

Thanks for the replies, a new car with these features would be nice but money is a bit tight, somink about a recession!!!!!!

Sorted it now, wired the windows to the 'cigar' lighter (no more masking tape, just in case).
Just brought a kit for the central locking.

Thanks for the replies, a new car with these features would be nice but money is a bit tight, somink about a recession!!!!!!

Sorted it now, wired the windows to the 'cigar' lighter

:bang: money will be even tighter when the car goes up in smoke and the insurance co won't pay out because you've made dangerous modifications to the electrical system (n)

You should have done a Switched Relay feed to power the windows
Each window IIRC is a 20amp feed

So if you operate both windows @ 20amps due to been cold with ice for example

You will hopefully pop the fuse, but depends if the wiring could handle that in the first place!

Relay's and switches and lots of fuses FTW!

Ziggy

Back