General Mk1 a couple of questions...

Currently reading:
General Mk1 a couple of questions...

andyzot

Hi all,
I've a pretty tidy R reg Mk1, which runs like a dream but I've a few niggles I thought I'd bring up here for debate....

1. The rear wiper isn't intermittent, can this be changed?
2. The doors seem to stick, all of them need a good yank to open the hinge isn't stiff just seems to stick at the seals.
3. How easy is it to change to electric windows?
4. When I'm driving over bumps in the road the suspension seems very hard, I can feel everything, rumble strips are a nightmare.

Cheers folks

Hi there, good to hear you have a MK1. I also have a MK1 sporting, love that little car.

1. The rear wiper is set to continually go, as far as I know this can't be changed, unless you can wire some kind of timer into the wiring?
2. The door's on my old MK1 stuck like hell. I tried WD40 around the seal helped a little but not much. Don't worry, your not alone :p
3. Pretty sure you can just swap the guts and add the wiring
4. That's pretty much as good as it gets. You could check out your shocks for any sign of fluid leaks, if you find any then they might be busted. Pretty easy to replace if they are.

the mk2 also has a continous wiper - its annoying
I've looked before, doesn't seem an option :(

As for Door Sticking - Is the lock mechanism releasing?
Door seals sticking already (winter aint hityet)

As for Electric Windows - cant see why not - you can get a Mechanism that fits over the current Manual Winder and basically addds a motor for you - might be worthwhile a look atleast

Suspension is hard? Sure tyre pressures aint too high making the shocks do all the work?

Ziggy

Back