General mk 1 75 elx 1.2 rear wheel movement

Currently reading:
General mk 1 75 elx 1.2 rear wheel movement

chris1502

Hi all, my mk 1 sounds like suspnsion noise when ya go over a bump, mot advisery (dont ask me why only adviserey down to previous owner) mentions both rear sub frame bush's which im waiting to arrive but when the car was looked at it was also spotted that you can get hold of the back wheel, pull it and it will rock from side to side, does this mean the hub is shot? if not ideas would be appreciated, thanks in advance

If the wheel rocks top/bottom it might be the wheel bearing. Check all the subframe mounts for rust in the main body

I recently replaced one rear wheel bearing as it was gritty feeling and noisy. Now the other one is noisy. At least I *think* its the other rear wheel - very hard to tell.

First place to look is there. It sounds a bit dodgy to drive check everything

Wheel bearing damaged enough to wobble the wheel would sound like you were driving on cobbles.

First place to look is there. It sounds a bit dodgy to drive check everything

Wheel bearing damaged enough to wobble the wheel would sound like you were driving on cobbles.

im so glad you said that as thats exactly what its like, seems like mystery solved, was going to look at it a minute ago but rain stopped play :bang:

When really bad, rolling element bearings can collapse suddenly. This one sounds dangerous. Don't be tempted to drive the car until its sorted out.

Last edited:
sudden thought but considering the cars got 10 months mot wouldnt this of been spotted?

Not necessarily. Once a wheel bearing starts to go, they can deteriorate quite quickly. Thats assuming that the tester actually properly checked it in the first place.

Alan

They can grumble on for ages and often folk thinks its just road noise. But when they do go they go big time as the balls/rollers and cages break up.

An old girlfriend told her dad (who did their car repairs) that wheel bearing was noisy. He said yeah I'll look into it. 2 months later he did the job and really told her off for not saying more about it. But to be fair it had probably been rumbling for ages but had just chosen this time to collapse.
She did say the car was now quieter than it had ever been.

Do get the right type ABS or non ABS as both will fit. If it is the bearing you'll need a complete hub. I got mine from ebay. Also check the other side it might not be too far behind the 1st one and you'll save on postage.

They can grumble on for ages and often folk thinks its just road noise. But when they do go they go big time as the balls/rollers and cages break up.

An old girlfriend told her dad (who did their car repairs) that wheel bearing was noisy. He said yeah I'll look into it. 2 months later he did the job and really told her off for not saying more about it. But to be fair it had probably been rumbling for ages but had just chosen this time to collapse.
She did say the car was now quieter than it had ever been.

Do get the right type ABS or non ABS as both will fit. If it is the bearing you'll need a complete hub. I got mine from ebay. Also check the other side it might not be too far behind the 1st one and you'll save on postage.

something like this then http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/F...1152b96b3ffec2c94e30c311b820ae640f979766&WBRK

that beats ebay prices and free delivery next working day also can put ya reg number in so will only show bits for that car in my case a mk 1 punto 75 elx 3 door (no abs) (y)

cars is now parked up and im ordereing the wheel bearing kit tommorow soon as i get paid (proberbly just after midnight knowing me) so that will be here wednesday

Balls, im having the same problem and I have no idea what it is :cry:

Thought it was the exhaust mounts at first because it only does it over bumps and when people are in the back.

This sounds expensive :mad:

Mines a Mk1 75 SX. so Basically the same as yours :)

EDIT- Ohh my car is possibly dangerous... :| that sounds... great considering I use it everyday :(

Last edited:
Balls, im having the same problem and I have no idea what it is :cry:

Thought it was the exhaust mounts at first because it only does it over bumps and when people are in the back.

This sounds expensive :mad:

Mines a Mk1 75 SX. so Basically the same as yours :)

edit: i was using mine everyday aswell whilst trying to find the problem soon as it was realised what the problem is i stopped using it

its does ya head in trying to pin point whats causing it doesnt it? as far as being expensive 24 quid delivered aint that bad i had a rear wheel bearing go on my old hyundai lantra cdx mk 2 n that was double the price, in fact everything for the hyundai was dearer.

oh the joys of cars :bang:

Last edited:
edit: i was using mine everyday aswell whilst trying to find the problem soon as it was realised what the problem is i stopped using it

its does ya head in trying to pin point whats causing it doesnt it? as far as being expensive 24 quid delivered aint that bad i had a rear wheel bearing go on my old hyundai lantra cdx mk 2 n that was double the price, in fact everything for the hyundai was dearer.

oh the joys of cars :bang:

How dangerous is dangerous though... Because if it isn't that dangerous im willing to risk it untill middle of next month when it comes round to MOT. I'll stick it straight in for one then fix it before the re-test.

It's been on my mind for the past week :( Every time i drive it im wondering what the hell it is.

If it is the bearing, the waggling wheel and clattering shows its about to fall to bits. Not worth the risk its not got disc brakes so the wheel could fall off.
(not that brake discs should be used as wheel retainers)

New bearings (ABS type) are about £30 off ebay though you will need a hOOOge breaker bar to shift the hub nut.

Its not a hard job so garage labour would not be costly.

Last edited:
just a quick update, my problem is not wheel bearing as thought its actually the trailing arm bushes which will be done asap, took car to kwik fit for them to check over and they spotted it, then read up on what the effects would be and all match

Use some thread lock, take it to 150 then give a touch more with the breaker bar. Just dont go mad - 200ftlbs must be close to the max limit for the threads. Its originally fitted with some mega thread lock.

Back