Manual boost controller

Currently reading:
Manual boost controller

cilli

Just a quick question to all you techie petrol (and diesel) heads. Can I fit a manual boost controller in place of the pierburg pressure converter on my car?

Its a 2004 multipla 1,9jtd.

Cheers and here's to tinkering,

John

Can't see it doing anything useful. AFAIK, the Pierburg is not connected to the turbo, but to the EGR system.

The V in the turbo spec stands for Variable Nozzle Turbine. These don't have a wastegate, which is what a MBC would effectively control.

I may be completely wrong, but you really, really need to check with someone with experience of tweaking oil burners (I hate them with a passion) before proceeding.

My EGR is blanked off as it's a complete waste of time unless you are a tree hugger.

Yes it is a variable vane turbo and the valve I mentioned controls the turbo actuator. The valve is knackered or rather the ECU is seeing a problem and restricting the rpm. If however i bypass the valve i.e. connect the constant vacuum going to the valve with the tube that runs down to the actuator the car will once again run without interferance from the ECU only trouble is that it is getting max boost all the time which I guess is not ideal. So I guess I am looking for a way to control the amount of vacuum reaching the turbo actuator. I don't even know if this is possible, hence the initial question. A new part has been quoted at £160+vat+delivery. I have source a second hand one from an alfa so hopefully that will work. If not looking for a 'low cost' fix to keep me running.

Many thanks,

John.

Back