Technical MAF sensor - to clean or not to clean?

Currently reading:
Technical MAF sensor - to clean or not to clean?

MarkX

Hi,

Background: I was getting an engine warning light with my Multi 1.9 JTD a few months back so I disconnected the MAF sensor - hey presto warning light gone, and car has been running OK without MAF since, I even think the car is nippier/more responsive. Fuel consumption is OK, currently up to about 40 mpg. So...

Question: I am thinking, before shelling out for a new MAF sensor (is it worth it anyway, can just run without it) - has anyone had any long term success cleaning their old MAF sensor? And what did you use?

I bought some Halfords electrical contact cleaner today and deluged the MAF sensor, but sensor still looks like it's covered in cr*p. I think there's only a single, active ingredient, some kind of alcohol compound.

Have seen a (US) YT video where the guy uses "CRC? MAF sensor cleaner". I got the data sheet and there's about 11 chemicals in it. Anyone used it? Any good?

So it's either:

a) Leave disconnected

b) Clean, but with what?

c) Replace, but with what?

Answers on a post(card)!

PS. I have read the other MAF sensor posts on't Forum.

Mark

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CRC-SENSOR...338904&hash=item4b2e740339:g:nsEAAOSwVA5aGEmT

s-l500.jpg

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Yes. There's some on ebay.co.uk with title: CRC | Air Sensor Clean | PRO | 250ml | 32712-AA £6-74 plus £6 delivery.

The data sheet for CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner, which I assume is the same witch's brew, lists the ingredients as:

2-methylpentane
naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light
2,2,4-trimethylpentane
carbon dioxide
n-hexane
n-pentane
2,2-dimethylbutane
2,3-dimethylbutane
3-methylpentane
methanol

:eek:

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it... or not?! ;)

Last edited:
Back