look at this blokes profile from around mine

Currently reading:
look at this blokes profile from around mine

Wants to meet Bob Marley so he can thank him:confused: I'm sure there's plenty out there who'd be more than willing to help him realise his dream:D

PMSL! Classic! :D

Sadly, it's on a par with what the great unwashed churn out nowadays.

Couldn't agree more. Who was it that said "We must stop celebrating this culture of ignorance and stupidity"?

What's wrong with taking pride in how you appear to the world by learning to spell properly? People who spell phonetically just come across as dumb chavs to me...

I use predictive text on my phone & go the extra to put in apostrophes etc - I'm not a whizz on the mobile & my tiny phone looks even smaller in my huge mitts so if I can do it...
OK, I understand why textspeak is used - character limitations etc. but what makes it even worse is when you consider that these idiots are sat in front of a full-sized qwerty keyboard - so there is no excuse.
When I see that sort of drivel on my desk, the staff get their report thrown back at them, when I see it in an application form it goes straight into the shredder.

If people really wanted to work, they'd take the time to read the application form fully before filling it in. They'd use black ink, capitals where advised, submit a hand-written application form (typed is accepteable as well as not instead of), sign the back, sign the part regarding convictions, fill in the part asking why you'd like to be considered for the post...

I use predictive text on my phone & go the extra to put in apostrophes etc - I'm not a whizz on the mobile & my tiny phone looks even smaller in my huge mitts so if I can do it...
OK, I understand why textspeak is used - character limitations etc. but what makes it even worse is when you consider that these idiots are sat in front of a full-sized qwerty keyboard - so there is no excuse.
When I see that sort of drivel on my desk, the staff get their report thrown back at them, when I see it in an application form it goes straight into the shredder.

If people really wanted to work, they'd take the time to read the application form fully before filling it in. They'd use black ink, capitals where advised, submit a hand-written application form (typed is accepteable as well as not instead of), sign the back, sign the part regarding convictions, fill in the part asking why you'd like to be considered for the post...

Well here's your reason to why he spells like he does:
"Books are for puffs and lasses with ne tits!"

I am confused by what you mean by 'If people really wanted to work' - I don't see the relevance to the OP.

Erm, and 'puffs' isn't even phonetic as he means 'poofs'. You 'puff and pant', whereas 'poof' rhymes with 'woof'.

Mr. Buzzcock is even more of a, erm, cock than he makes himself out to be :rolleyes:

I am confused by what you mean by 'If people really wanted to work' - I don't see the relevance to the OP.

He's talking about those idiots who think you can use phonetic spelling and txt spk on a job application form or a work report. If you really wanted to get the job you'd take the time to write properly, or are some people today really THAT stupid?

If I wrote txt spk on patient's notes I'd be in deep doo doo as patient notes are a legal document. Any litigation and what I wrote would have to stand up in a court of law. Try doing that with moronic text speak and see how the law responds...

Hmmm, I posted & ran. Had to make tea & watched a bit of television but re-reading my post it would appear that a chunk of my posting has vanished:eek:.

I was talking about staff who submit reports in text speak - my manager throws them (literally) back at the staff & they are told to redo them (and if that means unpaid overtime then it's tough).
I see application forms coming across my desk & some people just don't seem to want to work.
They are full of scribble, textspeak or not filled in (I had one 4 page form where the applicant had simply scrawled their name and mobile number on it!)
Fair enough, if your handwriting isn't legible then a typed letter accompanying the handwritten form is acceptable.

lol i can't beleive you're going on about his spelling.

and 'puffs' is phonetic, who says 'poofs'? :p

Because his spelling is appalling. In this day and age - when computers almost do all the writing for us - there is really little or no excuse.
I have to keep going over my work because I have fat fingers so often hit two keys together, I also have a problem with the letter n (sometimes it works, sometimes it does't;) )

BTW, phonetic spelling of poofs is not puffs - you don't say ruff when you are talking about the top of a house, it is a roof. the pronunciation is different.
And the rhyming slang is 'horse's hoof'

Erm, and 'puffs' isn't even phonetic as he means 'poofs'. You 'puff and pant', whereas 'poof' rhymes with 'woof'.

Mr. Buzzcock is even more of a, erm, cock than he makes himself out to be :rolleyes:

I think you have misunderstood me, I was trying to explain the reason why he writes in phonetics is because he doesn't read. He probably mocks reading books because he can't.

Yes, people really are that stupid. I know, I worked in the public service :(

Because his spelling is appalling. In this day and age - when computers almost do all the writing for us - there is really little or no excuse.
I have to keep going over my work because I have fat fingers so often hit two keys together, I also have a problem with the letter n (sometimes it works, sometimes it does't;) )

BTW, phonetic spelling of poofs is not puffs - you don't say ruff when you are talking about the top of a house, it is a roof. the pronunciation is different.
And the rhyming slang is 'horse's hoof'

it would loose the affect of him if he spelt everything correctly, punctuation etc.. and phonetic is puff! thats the way it is said, not poof! up here

I think you have misunderstood me, I was trying to explain the reason why he writes in phonetics is because he doesn't read. He probably mocks reading books because he can't.

I got that bit ;) I was ridiculing him for the fact that not only can he not spell, he can't even write in phonetics properly :rolleyes:

it would loose the affect of him if he spelt everything correctly, punctuation etc.. and phonetic is puff! thats the way it is said, not poof! up here

Alex, do you understand what 'phonetics' mean? A homosexual man, which is obviously what Mr. No Brain Buzzcock is referring too, is a 'poof'. It rhymes with a dog's 'woof', a horses 'hoof', the 'roof' on your house and the sound you make when someone hits you in the stomach - 'oof'.

A 'puff' is the same pronounciation as a 'puff' on a joint. It also rhymes with 'rough', 'tough', 'cuff', 'bluff' etc.

I am now very worried that you probably say you eat 'Sugar Poofs' seeing as you think 'puff' is the phonetic word for homosexual ;) :p

yes but he says it like puff not poooooof, don't know how they said it round your end,

I'd rather you didn't mention poof when you're round my end! :eek:

:p

As for 'poof', here is the definition:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=61457&dict=CALD

And here is a soundwave of 'poof' being spoken:

http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?poof1001.wav=poof

And here is a soundwave of 'puff' being spoken:

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?puff0001.wav=puff

Is it some northern thing to say a gay man is a "puff" rather than a "poof"? :confused:

Back