General Light at the end of the tunnel

Currently reading:
General Light at the end of the tunnel

That level of bracing is insane. The bodyshell is almost redundant except to keep the weather out. You still got first dibs on this?

I don't think it keeps the weather out very well as every bit of under seal, sound deadening, rubber door seals and any unnecessary metal has been removed :slayer:

Yes still got first dibs on the shell. Unfortunately the AP Racing Brakes on the front have found a new home (n) But you can still buy Tarox ones with six pot callipers (y) only £1,600 :eek:

Hopefully I will have this car in my garage before the end of time….

The new parts have started to arrive

Interestingly the new front shocks have a smaller distance from the base of the strut to the the base of the mounting plate for the spring. Around 20mm. I have tried to show this in the photo below but it hasn't come out great unfortunately.

So by my calculations 20mm from the new shocks plus 40mm from the Jamex springs means that the Y10 should be 60mm lower than standard at the front :devil:

Might need a sump guard at this rate :idea:

One more arrival this morning

Lightened flywheel weighs in at 4.6kg. Not sure what a standard one is but hoping this will make quite a difference to the engine performance :D

The poly bushes for the anti roll bar have also arrived :D 16mm internal diameter for the ARB itself and 17mm for the reaction rod.

Just had a look at the track control arms and they are looking a bit rough too so they may need replaced. No point having a weak link in the chain

Cheers

Dave

The poly bushes for the anti roll bar have also arrived :D 16mm internal diameter for the ARB itself and 17mm for the reaction rod.

Just had a look at the track control arms and they are looking a bit rough too so they may need replaced. No point having a weak link in the chain

Wow lots been happening. Good work :D I see what you mean by the shorter shocks. What make are they? They look a lot like Delphis. Loving the look of the ARB bushes and clamps. You prob already know but the reaction rod clamps will require 4 13mm bolts & nuts. The studs are an integral part of the original clamps that go round the reaction rod.
May be sooner than that (y)

Excellent news, I will need a ride in that when its done, or a gander at it before its done. I take it the 1300cc motor isn't standard either?

Wow lots been happening. Good work :D I see what you mean by the shorter shocks. What make are they? They look a lot like Delphis. Loving the look of the ARB bushes and clamps. You prob already know but the reaction rod clamps will require 4 13mm bolts & nuts. The studs are an integral part of the original clamps that go round the reaction rod.

Excellent news, I will need a ride in that when its done, or a gander at it before its done. I take it the 1300cc motor isn't standard either?

Yup the shocks are Delphi ones (when that's what it said on the box anyway :p)

Looking forward to sheering some bolts when I install the bushes on the ARB. I have change the bushes once before and a few bit the dust that time so expecting the same this time around.

Don't know the exact spec of the Y10 race car engine other than it had a terminal failure at its last outing. I have the option to have it with or without the engine and box. I am warming to the idea of an original 1050 turbo engine rather than a t-jet conversion but we are a long way off that decision.

Cheers

Dave

Deal done. Y10 Race Car in coming north before the end of May :D

I see a new thread in the making...........

Excellent news (y) Can't wait to see that. Is it coming with or without the Gtie engine? It just occurred to me there a FF member Superluigi in Abroath who has a rebuilt cylinder head for a Gtie. I remember him posting it on my build thread. He may still have it.

Excellent news (y) Can't wait to see that. Is it coming with or without the Gtie engine? It just occurred to me there a FF member Superluigi in Abroath who has a rebuilt cylinder head for a Gtie. I remember him posting it on my build thread. He may still have it.

Thanks Kris

It is actually a 1050 turbo block with a 1300 head :devil: And yes it is staying in the car along with the massive turbo (based on an Impreza unit) and Sapphire Cosworth intercooler :slayer:

The engine was built and wired to run a Motec ECU but was never run up because an ECU wasn't installed. So my recollection that the engine had been lunched wasn't correct.

There are also a lot of parts that were made for the car but never installed like fully rose jointed track control arms and reaction rods.

Lots to do to get it back together but looking forward to it

Thanks Kris

It is actually a 1050 turbo block with a 1300 head :devil: And yes it is staying in the car along with the massive turbo (based on an Impreza unit) and Sapphire Cosworth intercooler :slayer:

The engine was built and wired to run a Motec ECU but was never run up because an ECU wasn't installed. So my recollection that the engine had been lunched wasn't correct.

There are also a lot of parts that were made for the car but never installed like fully rose jointed track control arms and reaction rods.

Lots to do to get it back together but looking forward to it

Im guessing the advantage of the 1300 head is it comes with fuel injection? It sounds like it could have pushing 200bhp on tap when its working :yum:

Im guessing the advantage of the 1300 head is it comes with fuel injection? It sounds like it could have pushing 200bhp on tap when its working :yum:

Having a multipoint fuel injection system certainly does make a lot of sense when you are using a modern aftermarket ECU that allows you to adjust the fuel flow to each injector, launch control, etc etc.

Not sure what the current spec would be capable of running safely. I imagine 200bhp wouldn't last too long :eek:

Anyhooo I will start a new thread once it is in my possession (y)

Back to my current chariot.

The photo below is from last summer before leaving for Panda Camp 2013. Will use this as a comparison photo for the front suspension. This is standard shocks and springs. Should be 40-60mm lower once it is all back together :slayer:

I think the suspension may be heading in the wrong direction...

The fact that the engine is still out might have something to do with it :D

Just about to fit the lightened flywheel and thought I would try to show a comparison with the one that is on at the moment. I will put them on the scales to see the difference.

Hopefully get some news on the gearbox soon as I am starting to run out of time for Panda Camp next weekend :eek:

Gearbox will be ready to pick up tomorrow morning (y)

Now just need to remember how it all goes back together and make sure I leave enough time to get it MOT'd before next Friday :eek:

Pretty sure the doofangymuwotsit bolts to the thingymajiggy behind the oojimabob

Back