LED Headlamps - Some nastiness on FB

Currently reading:
LED Headlamps - Some nastiness on FB

Mine dont, and none of the previous cars dont that either. The response is so heavily damped that you wouldn't see it.

As for hill, standard halogen lights would have the same issue, nothing new there.

Self leveling has been about for 20+ years on lights. A sensor on the rear suspension has been the usual way.

And dont get what you mean about the HID, what do they need to react to within 0.5 second?
Not fiat, but mine are great on any road, directional too.
I have to confess I am confused as well, the self levelling tech on an LED headlight will work exactly the same way as on a HID headlight. Then there is the tech itself, its only adjusting the headlight maybe less than 1 degree on a bumpy road to keep the lights largely on target, its not wobbling the lights up and down and all overt he place. finally the proper benefit of self levelling is when you load the boot up and the lights are angled back down to make sure they are not pointing up. Then actively they still only might move a degree or so on bumps in the road. Its not like someone sat on your bonnet waving a torch up and down to try and light the road ahead.

The problem is not LED lights. it's LED bulbs. A light is the complete assembly and can use LEDs etc as long as it meets ECE requirements and is E marked. Note that ANY mandatory item fitted to a car must be approved and also any accessory that has an effect on road safety including distracting the driver. You must have ALL mandatory lights (for the age and type of vehicle) fitted and working, even in daylight.
LED replacements for bulbs cannot be E marked because the fundamental physics of the fillament lamp and LED are different. You cannot make an exact optical equivilent of a approved filament bulb with current LED technolgy.
Having an MOT or telling your insuance company does not make it OK. In the end only the courts can detemine the legality of a given situation.
The lack of enforcement is an issue but there are more important things for the police to do.
Robert G8RPI

I'd imagine the difference between self-levelling and not in this scenario...is both end up shining into your eyes as neither are capable of following an undulating road properly but one is significantly brighter than the other when shone directly into your eyes.

Hence why factory fit leds can still annoy it's all very well saying they are perfectly aimed and to spec. The spec still allows them to be blinding...

I'd be interested in if the more advanced LED systems that deactivate parts of the beam could deal with it but very few people pay for those.

Last edited:
I'd imagine the difference between self-levelling and not in this scenario...is both end up shining into your eyes as neither are capable of following an undulating road properly but one is significantly brighter than the other when shone directly into your eyes.

Hence why factory fit leds can still annoy it's all very well saying they are perfectly aimed and to spec. The spec still allows them to be blinding...

I'd be interested in if the more advanced LED systems that deactivate parts of the beam could deal with it but very few people pay for those.
My golf has automatic main beams that turn in and off when the car detects oncoming cars, this still gets it wrong about 5% of the time either dipping the beams when there is nothing there, or blinding oncoming drivers, the technology is far from foolproof so I don’t see that matrix lights will be perfect either. (I also should add the golf has conventional filament headlight bulbs)

Anything will dazzle an oncoming driver if it’s bright and aimed wrong, these rules where created a long time ago when headlights where terrible by modern standards, even back then you could still blind someone if you put some effort into it.

From what I've seen they seem quite impressive. Eg. walking on the pavement unlit and the lights of the car picking me specifically and shutting the beam off once I was out of view. Automatically picking out road signs etc, if it can do that you'd imagine they can write something into it that says if you see two lights...don't shine above that level between them. They seem to be pretty responsive and can track much more quickly than traditional load compensator stuff. The level of cameras/programming required to make this work is probably significantly above what is needed for dim/dip on halogens.

Bright lights mounted high are always going to annoy people in lower cars. The angle of lift required to bring them to eye level is very little if not nothing at which point they become dazzling. Not just a Mini thing, even a hightop transit with halogens can be just as annoying.

I used to have winter and summer seating positions in my old car, summer the seat was literally on the floor, wheel straight out pretty much legs nearly horizontal. Winter seat at max height, with wheel in the bus driver position, obviously you'd adjust everything to make it work. Only reason I did that was commuting in the dark the extra 1.5 inches in height or so made the difference between every crossover and above blinding you and getting blinded more occasionally.

Last edited:
because the fundamental physics of the fillament lamp and LED are different. You cannot make an exact optical equivilent of a approved filament bulb with current LED technolgy.
HID are fundamentally the same, and they are still banned, LED could be, if they tried.
There's still the same episoidal lens on LED, HID and filament.

Oddly I was looking at the light output on my other car tonight, the amount of light above the dipped beam line is still pretty bright. The roads signs really reflect strongly, so it's no wonder they they appear to dazzle.

HID is not the same as filament or LED. It is tiny poit source.
********, you can put a HID in most projector halogen style and get a perfect beam pattern. (it's not a tiny point either it's a reasonable size blob when you see the bulb on)

It's not optimal because the light point is further in than the filament, but that can be adjusted to get the legal pattern.
If the HID design was modified then they could be a direct replacement for a filament.

HIDs were banned because idiots put them in reflector lenses.

Well on the "light"er side when all cars are driverless they won't need or have bright headlamps that need to illuminate the path in-front and sufficiently far reaching for allowed legal speed limits :)

All that will be required are "tell tale" location lights (like aircraft have when flying) and additional passenger loading and unloading illumination.

No doubt some "bright" spark will want to pimp up their chariot which with say "under belly" floor projection etc. but by then that will probably be perfectly OK as it would not constitute or cause driver distraction. So the future does have great opportunities and benefits for all and especially "detailers".

I can see now self driving/flying caskets all pimped up for that final trip to one's resting place.

Well on the "light"er side when all cars are driverless they won't need or have bright headlamps that need to illuminate the path in-front and sufficiently far reaching for allowed legal speed limits :)

All that will be required are "tell tale" location lights (like aircraft have when flying) and additional passenger loading and unloading illumination.

No doubt some "bright" spark will want to pimp up their chariot which with say "under belly" floor projection etc. but by then that will probably be perfectly OK as it would not constitute or cause driver distraction. So the future does have great opportunities and benefits for all and especially "detailers".

I can see now self driving/flying caskets all pimped up for that final trip to one's resting place.

Not too sure about the self-driving coffin bit, I can just imagine a case where people specify they want their casket to drive around forever, leading to coffin jams on the m25 ⚰️⚰️⚰️⚰️ :D

But yeah, if a driver doesn't need to see the road except in the event of emergency intervention (which poses another interesting question - if the driver's doing nothing how do you keep them alert enough to intervene when needed?) then you could get away with pretty much anything headlight-wise, and may take on more of an 'alerting' role, e.g. highlighting sudden movements on the side of the road with a small beam to aid recognition whilst alerting whatever it is that there's a car coming.

Reminds me a bit of a situation years ago where the headlight loom went 'pop' in a work van just after I'd arrived at an army base late at night. A friendly REME guy kindly gave me a pair of brighter sidelight bulbs and I was able to slowly drive off the base and back to civilization (and recovery) just using the sidelights rather than potentially being stranded there overnight, which shows you how little light you actually need once your eyes get used to the gloom, though I wish he'd lent me a pair of night vision goggles instead...

Well I thank the collective for the reasoned and detailed responses.
I decided it must be me as a 'gentleman' approached me yesterday to tell me my EU style number plate was now illegal as we have left Europe.
I pointed out one of his headlamps was not functional. He didn't seem bothered.
Life!

Well I thank the collective for the reasoned and detailed responses.
I decided it must be me as a 'gentleman' approached me yesterday to tell me my EU style number plate was now illegal as we have left Europe.
I pointed out one of his headlamps was not functional. He didn't seem bothered.
Life!
Well there is no such thing as an EU style number plate being illegal in the UK if fitted BEFORE 1st Jan 2021 so unless your number plate has a 2021 date stamp you are OK. Next the UK EU style number plate would have to be IN and driving on EU roads AND not accompanied by a separate UK (black letters on white) to break EU law.

So clearly your "gentleman" was one headlamp short on 'brightness' and as you commented breaking UK law himself!

Please excuse the length of this post but I have recently noticed an increase in ‘angry people’ regarding the so called ‘illegal’ use of LED bulbs. Certainly, a FB forum post that resulted in PMs with sexual swear words to a Panda owner and reference to reporting unroadworthy vehicles, death and prison threats suggest some people are not being nice to each other. This post is intended for a rational discussion so if you end every discussion with ‘your stupid cause I am right’ don’t bother posting.

I come to this forum with almost 50 years of modifying, detailing and restoring cars and bikes. My day job has included working on everything from mining equipment to ram jet engines and most of the last 30 years in HSE and legislative compliance. I am a chartered mechanical engineer, Fellow of an institute and SME for an aerospace company. I am not a police office, lawyer, barrister, judge or writer of legal statutes. If you are one of those you win any argument on what’s legal hands down!

LEDs are amazing devices that use less energy, can be easily configured and controlled for output and are significantly more resilient against shock and vibration. I predict that they will eventually replace all conventional bulbs and very soon. My basis for this is the rapid growth in the industrial, commercial, domestic consumer and defence markets.

So, what’s the issue?

LED technology advanced rapidly and of course Chinese exports offered this improved technology cheaply and hence the growth of this market encouraged more and better developments. The legislators however have failed as usual to keep up. The use of after market bulbs is covered by The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 and the World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations (ECE Regulations) Regulation 37. You could spend hours reading these but they refer to filament bulbs. The regulations refer to an E mark. LEDs can’t have an E mark as there is no detail in the regulations. Note there is a E mark for almost every bit of a motor vehicle.

The legislation needs to change and eventually the legislators will be forced as conventional bulbs disappear.

Here lots of people will go its illegal then? Well, they are not ‘road legal’ but so is any other item (brakes, windscreen, number plate light bulb etc) you have on your vehicle that does not have a E mark.

Is it illegal sell, buy and or to fit an LED bulb of any type to your vehicle? My view no. You can fit what ever you like to your vehicle within reason. The issue is use. Remember that having any lights fitted other than brake is not mandated (track day cars, trial bikes etc.) for an MoT just if fitted they have to work. I could happily drive to an off-road location, use my LED headlights then drive home in daylight without them on. Have I committed an offence?

To claim illegal, you need to define the offence. Dazzling, blinding or otherwise distracting other road uses by the use of excessively bright, misaligned or defective headlights is a good definition. Everyone with extra bright bulbs from eBay, extra power bulbs (55w when your rating is 35w Classic Panda owners), tinted bulbs etc. etc. all potential for an offence. No fluid in your HID head lamp wash, one light broken and driving with fog lights when its not foggy all offences.

As I said at the beginning the people that can define an offence are police office, lawyer, barrister, judge or writer of legal statutes. We are not a Police state (yet) and for every offence we all have the right to be judged by our peers in court and then we have a right of appeal. Fitting an LED bulb will not have your car crushed and will not get you thrown in prison.

The roadworthy issue has recently changed. If an MoT inspector identifies aftermarket HID or LED head lamp bulbs you will get a fail. A punitive reaction by the Brexit Government fighting with technology challenging 1989 legislation and throwing the problem to the garages. However, a MoT inspection cannot include the removal of parts even lower engine covers to inspect suspension. The inspector could guess perhaps? He or she cannot strip the headlamp or any other parts to check for the E mark.

Why are a large number of people unhappy with LEDs? Well early bulbs were poor by design and had very odd light scatter patterns, lots of flickering and a tendency to go on/off when overheating. It was also convenient to blame LED users for all oncoming headlamp deficiencies. More 50% brighter, tinted and larger power filament bulbs have been sold. Xenon upgrades to Halogen lamps are common. My hate is LED number plate bulbs that are so bright they obscure the plate characters (oh yea that’s an offence). Modern LEDs are better designed and give very good patterns deliberately to avoid drawing any attention to the device. The suppliers want the market and automotive aftermarket sales are quality driven.

So, the future is LED and the issue is updating the regulations before the market takes control. I think its already done so. Look at so called ’legal highs’ electric scooters and CB radio.

Will you get pulled over? Not if it’s a quality product and doesn’t cause the dazzling etc detailed above. Is the only crime getting caught or is it a government that won’t keep pace with technology?

Me? I have 19 LEDs units/bulbs on my Panda only 2 are in question. I have a valid MoT so by the Government measure I am roadworthy. All my mods (lots) are declared to my insurance company including the LEDs and I have an engineers report on the renovation. I also have a headlamp test record that’s fully compliant with UK requirements. I have no idea how many of the classic original parts are E marked but as it was built in 1987 probably few. Roadworthy? Well on road it has interesting handling characteristics off road it’s a monster. A set of Defender LED sealed units are £120 so I might go that route for the next build.

Finishing we should as car enthusiasts be kind to like-minded souls. Well unless you have a bike rack covering your number plate and don’t know how to turn your fog lamps off. Please don’t claim you are so legally aware that you can declare what’s illegal, not roadworthy and decide punishment until you fall into the earlier defined categories. I can find no court cases, case law or other actions concerning fitting LED headlamp bulbs. If you can please share.

More info?

https://www.suffolk.police.uk/advice/roads-and-vehicles/car-modifications

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/are-led-headlights-legal-in-the-uk/

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/advice/car-bulbs-and-the-law.html
Hello

My understanding is the problem first arose when they first came to the market, people just stuck a non directional beamed LED in the headlamp and it was as if the light was on full beam.

The more expensive and one's sold correctly have beam benders fitted to them so they 'behave' like a normal bulb.

I'm in favour of them as long as they are installed both correctly and sensibly

********, you can put a HID in most projector halogen style and get a perfect beam pattern. (it's not a tiny point either it's a reasonable size blob when you see the bulb on)

It's not optimal because the light point is further in than the filament, but that can be adjusted to get the legal pattern.
If the HID design was modified then they could be a direct replacement for a filament.

HIDs were banned because idiots put them in reflector lenses.

Both hid and LED are banned from being retrofitted into not approved light units and are both not failures

Both hid and LED are banned from being retrofitted into not approved light units and are both not failures
Yes, and that is what I've said. But when it wasn't illegal, I know a lot of poeple that upgraded to HID and passed the MOT every year since the light pattern was correct. Changing the law to make them illegal didn't magically change the beam pattern output from the headlight (that part has never changed on the MOT!), it was just a blanket approach by people that dont understand the problem.

Had this shared with me to day. Now Phillips enter the market and it looks a whole lot more engineered that some of the stuff out there.

Usual disclaimers on the website but selling now on Amazon. Just for info.

Had this shared with me to day. Now Phillips enter the market and it looks a whole lot more engineered that some of the stuff out there.

Usual disclaimers on the website but selling now on Amazon. Just for info.

Yeah I've seen these, was debating messing with the front lights on the C3...but as it has reflectors not projectors you'll be able to see the bulbs directly.

So at 250% it'll be a full 150% more glare than standard even if the beam pattern is right. May be usable in projectors where the bulb is not directly viewable but while it's not me that would suffer don't think that "solves" the issue.

A manufacturer led set up will tend to be a set of slightly dimmer leds over an area not one set of really bright ones. But to provide a decent beam pattern that's that it needs to be.

As @g8rpi point out.

"It is your own responsibility to ensure that the use of the LED retrofit lights complies with applicable local legal requirements.
The lamps are not permitted to use on public roads."

I suspect that if the UK "Anti-tampering proposals and legislation gets passed the in the UK Philips would not be allowed to market let alone advertise these with such a *small* disclaimer at the end of all the marketing and the picture example of the difference of standard verses Pro9000 taken on what appears to be a public road :)

Back