General Lancia Y10 FIRE LX

Currently reading:
General Lancia Y10 FIRE LX

No, unfortunately not -

Good news. I don't want a sunroof, that's why I asked. My old car "Pandamonium" (you're welcome to use it) had the twin sunroofs and the front peeled off at Sneterton just before I braked for the Market hairpin. Sounded like I had my head in a waterfall and I got black flagged. :(

No sunroof is better for SuperFIRE Pandas. ;)

DSCI1068.JPG

Wowzers! Now that's purple. :D

I could get 1-2 in the garage if I found somewhere else for the spares!
Sorry for hi-jack

John, decent racking - few bays with bins should sort out your problem, please avoid the BigDug type boltless useless racking as they aren't made to serve.

Look round on gumtree for second hand old fshion industrial ( not pallet size) grade of racking. Go as high as to roof let you to, decent steps will provide safe access to the top levels.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/tool-storage-workbenches/industrial-racking-/1142036951

https://www.gumtree.com/p/retail-sh...2.8m-high-pallet-racking-storage-./1142048469

Last edited:
Forum thread going off on a tangent shocker! ;)

Also an opportune moment to say "Nice Rack" without causing any offense.

Anyway here's mine...

fagIrb7b.jpg

...and as you'd expect there's a story behind it.

I'd just been made redundant from an engineering firm and was doing the rounds looking for another job. Got through the interview process and one place and was asked to demonstrate my welding. Common practice just because you interview well doesn't mean you can do the job does it?

"There are welders, grinders and PPE and there's a skip full of steel outside. I'll be back in twenty minutes".

An hour and a half later I had made the Stainless Steel rack. The guy got called away to a meeting, I had got bored and there was a TIG welder to play with. He took one look at my rack and said he couldn't give me the job because they were looking for a dogsbody/apprentice and I was too good, but if anything came up he'd give me a call. I asked to take the rack home and it's lived in my shed ever since.

Turned out to be a blessing disguised as a catastrophe because that firm folded three months later. I would have been back to square one.

Ah the simple jobs eh?

The headlight stalk on the Y10 was broken but the car came with a replacement set of column switches.

Sadly it was to a different Y10, none of the wiring colours matched and only three of the seven plugs were the same. So I've had to pull the arms from both switches, cut the end off the new one, drill a hole down into the centre of the shaft, weld the old pin in the end of the new rod, support the weld with epoxy filler, shape and paint the new shaft ready to retrofit to the original switch.

nWdWaAC3.jpg

The Y10 or pretentious Panda as I like to call it has an adjustable steering column. The whole time I was working on the car I was trying to get the seat and column in a comfortable position. These seats are too soft in a squishy way and I'm sat so high my head is millimeters from the roof.

Not ideal for my SuperFIRE plan as I would need to wear a helmet on track and there simply isn't enough space.

Time for a new plan. :devil:

After a lot of consideration and careful planning or lack there of owning and restoring a car I can't get in and out of without a shoehorn or ruining a rare Lancia doesn't appeal so the Y10 will be off to a new home soon and hopefully next year I will be building something to get a couple of records back. ;)

While I was waiting for the paint to dry on my FTO I thought I'd clean and base coat the Y10 tailgate...

M1cgZ8Zd.jpg

...not bad for an outdoor midwinter job into the wind but needs more work to get to my usual standard. I much prefer the satin black to the matte stuff. I'll have to redo my Fantasia wiper panel with it. (y)

I've spoken to my MOT guru and these...

12605401_10205637048512507_418234042384784629_o.jpg

...should make the wrong hand drive headlights pass. :slayer:

Technically the Y10 is sold as soon as I can get the thing close to bandit country. ;)

So nothing has happened for another three weeks. Trying to arrange transportation ooop North is more problematic than I ever expected.

It took a jump to start the car today but she's still firing up with no issues. :)

Back