Technical KriTip's 1.2 16V Sei Project

Currently reading:
Technical KriTip's 1.2 16V Sei Project

Kristian, now you have that, really would reccomend some head work, port match the inlet and oulets, port/flow the inlet and outlets, enlatrge the throttle body, multi-angle valve seats/ maybe larger valves? and a good set of fast road cams and you have the making of a very very special cento!

Jordan

I'd LOVE too, but I am already falling short of funds and I'll need a minimum of a remap, induction, clutch (mine is on its last legs), custom exhaust system fitted (as mine will be to small I'd imagine).

I'd imagine that kind of stuff would cost hundreds on top! How much do you imagine It'd cost?

I just want to get it up and running and tested, THEN I can just get another head worked and swap it over a few months later once i get some spare cash :)

When you lighted flywheels how much weight do you take off?

Kristian

I'd LOVE too, but I am already falling short of funds and I'll need a minimum of a remap, induction, clutch (mine is on its last legs), custom exhaust system fitted (as mine will be to small I'd imagine).

I'd imagine that kind of stuff would cost hundreds on top! How much do you imagine It'd cost?

I just want to get it up and running and tested, THEN I can just get another head worked and swap it over a few months later once i get some spare cash :)

When you lighted flywheels how much weight do you take off?

Kristian

Ah ok, thats fair enogh (just dont go to powerflow for a custom exhaust, or even better, buy a supersprint system eventually lol

Re. the flywheel, too much and hills become awful, never skimmed a FIRE one before but the principle is of course, the same. I think 1KG is safe on the isnt it? how much does Mark have off on his? somthing like 2kg isnt it?

Jordan

2.6KG I think. Again, I think that'll be on hold till later anyway ;)

What's wrong with powerflow exhausts? That may have been the one I was going to use for convenience.

Supersprint full exhaust would be good, but i bet the bores wouldn't match between Sei and Punto stuff, and I don't think a standard Punto kit would fit ;)

Kristian

This post may cause an arguement between people on this forum, as it has done in the past. A powerflow is good if your not that botherd about how your engine is breathing out, but ultimately the only decent thing i have to say about powerflow is that they have an excellent range of products. otehr than that all i can say is that they often use mild steel welds, and whatever they market their grade of s/s as, it plainly isnt great as MOST (not all, no need for anyone to post sayin, thats wrong, mines 4years old and not rusty :rolleyes: ) rust rapidly, their boxes havnt got the greastest flow rate and they're usually very expensive, i hate them. Cobra systems arent that bad if it has to be custom (exhaustsUK) and they havea decent range too, but maybe do some reasearch on the supersprint as its liekly it may be similar bore size

Jordan

kritip; For the exhaust i could recommend somewhere in banbury, they did the downpipe and decat section for me, their welds are nothing short of remarkably tidy...

www.rsfabrications.com

Good examples of their work there, they do any fabrication stuff my cinq needs for me :) if you drop them a email or something drop it to russell and mention alex with the yellow cinq (y)

p.s. Coming on well :slayer:

If I can get it too mate with the old exhaust, I can travel anywhere for it, if not, then only local places will doo, as it will be a SS manifold fitted to a CAT, and that'd be it lol, not the best idea.

When people run a full SS setup, do they generally retain a steel CAT in the system, and just keep the rest stainless steel?

A new Punto mk1 CAT is £70 from eBay, and looks like the flange will mate fine with the manifold, so I can fit that, get a boss behind it, and then go stainless from there on backwards.

The sprung section on the manifolds is good for a flex section, or do you think it's wise to get a flex section in as well.

Cheers for the support everyone (y)

Kristian

A new Punto mk1 CAT is £70 from eBay, and looks like the flange will mate fine with the manifold, so I can fit that, get a boss behind it, and then go stainless from there on backwards.

Try Fluffy. £70 seems a bit too much. Why not simply have a second lambda boss fitted so the ECU can behave itself?
The sprung section on the manifolds is good for a flex section, or do you think it's wise to get a flex section in as well.

A flex section is always a good idea. Without it you're likely to run into the MPI problem of the silencer cracking where the pipe joins the backbox.

Well, not much happening yet.

Ribe bits still waiting as my PP account credit card had expired and its doing a god damn slow eCheque.

Got some VHT paint, but messing with the engine on the garage floor is fiddly and a pain in the ass, so......

24022007(001).jpg

£32 for a 22kg engine stand with 236KG weight limit :D (y)

Provides 360 degree engine rotation, so i can spin it round to fiddle with the sump and crank, and back over for the head.

Now I can work on it nice and easy, and get on track. Just have to get the engine on it tomorrow.

Also on a plus side, apparently the garage beams will easily support an engine, so I have rope, just need a pulley, and i can hoist the engine around to my hearts content :D

Still awaiting the manifold, but things should come together in the next few weeks.

Totally broke already though, and so from now on it credit card for any stuff :eek: :D

Kristian

Ah ok, thats fair enogh (just dont go to powerflow for a custom exhaust, or even better, buy a supersprint system eventually lol

Re. the flywheel, too much and hills become awful, never skimmed a FIRE one before but the principle is of course, the same. I think 1KG is safe on the isnt it? how much does Mark have off on his? somthing like 2kg isnt it?

Jordan

They took 1.7kg of mine from 6.7 to 5.0

Fly wheel and clutch are off the engine and its mounted up on the stand now (y) I'll post a pic on Wednesday when I get to fiddle again, and hopefully my ribe bits will have arrived :)

Clutch is worn and definatly needs replacing, I was going too anyway though. I just have to measure if it's the larger one, or the cento sized one.

In the mean time, looks what the postman bought:

P1010716.JPG

Will trial fit it on Wednesday as well, make sure it goes round the sump ok, etc.

Thought it had a sprung section at the end though? Never mind, I'll def fit a flex section now.

Have had some tips to possibly find the engine version, and can then grab the gasket kit, and I can really get the show on the road :D

Kristian

Last edited:
Remember that if you hoist from a beam it needs to be strong enough for twice the weight, it has you pulling in adition to the weight of the engine!

Also on a plus side, apparently the garage beams will easily support an engine, so I have rope, just need a pulley, and i can hoist the engine around to my hearts content :D

Kristian

tbh, i don't have a clue why they put two lambda holes there!? :confused:

Sure I have two lambda's but if they run back to back, won't the ECU just think the cat has died? lol

I have never seen a sprung section before so am not even 100% how they work, but I will give it some more research when it comes to exhaust time :)

Its all coming together slowly though :)

Kristian

Remember that if you hoist from a beam it needs to be strong enough for twice the weight, it has you pulling in adition to the weight of the engine!

Its not my beam/garage, but he says it will be fine. I may give it the once over as well, and may decide its not worth the risk. If not I'll get a hoist, or possibly just try jacking it up using the beam/rope to steady it on its ascent :D

Kristian

Sorry I have not been keeping up with this!

Looks very promising.

If people refuse to sell you parts without chassis number/reg I would just tell them that your engine code is 176 B900 (if i remember correctly)!

S/S manifold looks ace, decent exhaust setup is what my student loan will be going on!

I'm having a manifold back pipe made to the same specs as superpsrint centre pipe for 16v so should be just right (can't remember the diameter of hand).

I would say the exhuast is the most important part of getting the most from this engine, my engine as you know has highly modified internals yet it is running some standard 1108 pipework still which i'm told will be killing the power somewhat!

As for the second lambda, this is not vital and can be mapped out, if you do want to keep it for prosperities sake then anyone should be able to sort you a second lambda welded in and a lambda extension cable such as longlife etc.

Kristian very nice conversion starting with a sei is quite rare in this country but not so in europe for some reason :eek: i have always wanted to do this connversion since having my first cinq and now being on my 3rd cinq i really should get it done:devil: although emmas version is even more tempting :yum:

anyway wandering around the local breakers the other day saw some punto sporting alloys went for a look and it was actually a fully original mk1 sporting :yum: :devil:

unfortunately its been in a front crash :mad: and the front panel is sitting against the engine and its been pushed back slightly so im not too keen on how good it would be

he wants £264.38 for the engine (dont know why hes so precise:rolleyes: ) or the inlet manifold and throttle body for £90 and then i need to find another engine in the same way as you have also why the need for the mk1 manifold and throttle body over your original i understand in emmas case but not totally in yours?:confused:

what do you think of the prices?

back on topic the manifold looks sweet if not quite expensive :eek: now correct me if im wrong here but from what i can gather from having a quick read through again are you planning to use your 1108 ecu and have that mapped?

what still puzzles me (your the 3rd person thats done it this way) is why not use the 1.2 ecu? youve got to mod the wiring loom anyway from what i can remeber so why keep the 1.1 version?

thanks for any reply and good luck with this conversion it should be quite nice when done

EDIT: heres what it should look like when finnished

seicento_pl_167.jpg

wayne

Last edited:
Back