Technical Koni damper experiment thread

Currently reading:
Technical Koni damper experiment thread

Hi

Many thanks for this excellent thread, I too have been unsure of which way to go (KW etc). My 100hp has the standard shocks with the Eibachs on, and bounces all over the shop.

I will be taking a trip to Larkspeed (they are not far away), however the car wont be going anywhere with all the salt about!

One question though, is what diameter are the camber bolts?

Oh, I forgot to mention....I have shaky hand mans old 160hp turbo (grin)

PS my strapline refers to my classic Panda :)

Regards
Andy

Last edited:
What's the news on the front end? And any more thoughts on ideal rebound setting on the rear? I realise that the handling/comfort compromise is very subjective, but any more info would be very valuable.

What's the news on the front end? And any more thoughts on ideal rebound setting on the rear? I realise that the handling/comfort compromise is very subjective, but any more info would be very valuable.
Had mine done last fri, konis all round on stock springs expensive but well worth it! Sorted out the pogoing end of, set the rears at 3 quarters of a turn up from softest and fronts about midway which is about 1 full turn from softest works well.Many thanx to rturner for his invaluable info and all the other people who chipped in.

Thanks very much for this really useful input - will have to spend some time on the 'net next week finding the best deal for a complete set.

Hi

Called in at Larkspeed (Crossgates, Leeds) and ordered a full set today.(y):idea:

They checked for delivery with Koni UK - will be mid-march when they arrive at X-Gates.:cry: I suppose its not too bad, as at this time of year the car doesnt go out much.

The price £482 :slayer:

Full marks to rturner and randysbits for doing the groundwork :worship::yum::yum:

Hi

Called in at Larkspeed (Crossgates, Leeds) and ordered a full set today.(y):idea:

They checked for delivery with Koni UK - will be mid-march when they arrive at X-Gates.:cry: I suppose its not too bad, as at this time of year the car doesnt go out much.

The price £482 :slayer:

Full marks to rturner and randysbits for doing the groundwork :worship::yum::yum:

Let me know when it arrives, im not too far from you and wouldnt mind a nosey at the difference between yours and mine with the eibach springs and standard shocks

I've also been following this thread with interest and have decided to give the Cobra springs / Koni dampers combination a go. Also unhappily waiting for Koni to produce the rears - hopefully might be ready by the end of this month.
I've just one probably stupid question - with the progressively wound springs which way up should they be fitted ? With the closer wound section on the top I'd thought but now not so sure ? Thks for your feedback.

10mm from memory, just order anything "Italian" i.e. Punto, Cinquecento etc.

Just because it's not listed for a Mk2 Panda, doesn't mean to say other bolts won't fit, the application was in a vast range from memory, Alfa Romeo etc (y)

Deep Joy! Larkspeed phoned to say the shockers have arrived, faster than expected - many thanks Larkspeed!

Guess what I'm doing on Saturday! Going in to work on Sunday, so might just do the rears initially. Cant wait to say Ciao to the bounce! :)

Hi,

The rears are now on - took me just over 2.5 hours, but that's only because I spent ages cleaning under the wheel arches....must have a word with myself!

Mine had the Eibach springs all round with standard shockers at the front and Bilsteins on the back. As my front Goodyear's had worn to the canvas right on the inside edge, new Yokohama AD08 195/50 R15 were bought (much cheaper than Goodyear 195/45s), and swapped to the back until the geometry is looked at.

After reading the other posts, I set the new Konis to 1.5 turns from the softest and had a good run out today.

Certainly better, but still has some "pogo-ness" left. I need to decide wether to adjust some more and see whats best, or put the fronts on....I guess there is no point finding the sweet spot for the rears only to then find it changes when the fronts go on! As I am working tomorrow (hey, I need to pay for the Konis!!), it won't be this weekend :(

It's beginning to sound as though the combination of standard springs and about a full turn of adjustment (away from baseline) gives a better solution. Of course, the more linear standard springs don't give any lowering of ride height (several 100HPers might prefer keeping that standard anyway) but it may be that they are better matched to the characteristics of the Konis.

What a bummer!

Done one front shocker, new anti roll bar drop links and top bearing fitted (bought from GGB / Shop4parts) so far so good....

...Now on with the second, everything off (spent ages making everything all nice and clean, what a saddo!).

Before taking the spring off the old shocker, I took the new one out of the box just to check it was on its softest setting, and a few drops of oil came out of the adjuster! It also feels soft compared to the standard 100HP shocker when pressing down (I understand the compression is fixed, just the rebound is adjustable), so back on with the old, and a trip to Larkspeed tomorrow!

Must admit, Im now worrying about the other front Koni....is it ok...

Currently has 2 rear konis, 1 front Koni, 1 front standard :(

What a bummer!

Done one front shocker, new anti roll bar drop links and top bearing fitted (bought from GGB / Shop4parts) so far so good....

...Now on with the second, everything off (spent ages making everything all nice and clean, what a saddo!).

Before taking the spring off the old shocker, I took the new one out of the box just to check it was on its softest setting, and a few drops of oil came out of the adjuster! It also feels soft compared to the standard 100HP shocker when pressing down (I understand the compression is fixed, just the rebound is adjustable), so back on with the old, and a trip to Larkspeed tomorrow!

Must admit, Im now worrying about the other front Koni....is it ok...

Currently has 2 rear konis, 1 front Koni, 1 front standard :(

Arse - especially when Koni's biggest feature used to be quality control.

Three cheers for Larkspeed, I called in on the way home from work and they said that sometimes the adjuster does weep a bit if overfilled, but will get it swapped as this one was quite bad.

They rang the supplier, and with a bit of luck they should have it tomorrow!

Hello :)

Half way home and Larkspeed rang, so I stopped the car. They said the replacement Koni has just arrived, so I will pick that up tomorrow, that was pretty quick.

Got home and took the front Koni off that was ok simply to check it, seems ok but on compression it is quite a bit softer than the standard 100HP strut, rebound is adjustable though.

Does that mean it may be a bit softer at he front - less crashy ????

Back