Technical Kingpin

Currently reading:
Technical Kingpin

AndrewRL

So my next basic question (and another will follow shortly...I thought I would keep them separate).

My kingpins/stub axles were replaced last year but as part of regular maintenance I know they need greasing. So while I had the wheels off recently I hooked up a grease gun and squirted. Now the Haynes manual says keep filling with grease until grease appears out of the kingpin. So the question is...where? :confused:

All I got was a lot of grease round the nipple (this all sounds full of innuendo :D) but don't know if that means I have enough in there already or am just not very good with the gun.

Ideally if anyone has a picture of the stub axle and can add an arrow where I need to see the grease coming out that would be perfect....and I know I ask a lot from you guys :(

Cheers

Usually, if a lot of grease is coming out from the nipple area as you try and inject grease into it, it means that the grease-gun end is not 'square' on the nipple. As you fill the king-pin with grease, the surplus usually will come out from behind the spacer washer(s) that separate the stub-axle/hub-carrier and the king-pin carrier.:bang:(y)

If you're still having problems, you might try removing the grease nipple and check if you can pump grease through it, they sometimes get blocked.

AL.

... and be sure to take the weight off the axle and try greasing with the stub at different angles of steering. Depending on the style of pin fitted, the grease hole or spiral grooves may not be aligned with the nipple. I think I have one like that (on my car!) ;)

Back