Tuning Just had our camper 'remapped'

Currently reading:
Tuning Just had our camper 'remapped'

my 306 hdi was maped and a decat made a big differance to power and mpg
my bike is also maped but that is for grins not mpg :D

I would like to have some input on this. The reason fleet owners dont go for remaps is that most of them change their vehicles often. If a vehicle went in for a service/repair under the warranty period it would invalidate the vehicles warranty straight away as it will be picked up on the fiat diagnotstics.

For this reason my vehicle which is a 2014 Ducato 180 (3.0) XLWB is fitted with a chip box (Chip Express) which now pushes out 226bhp. I have this set up purely for economy although the torque is still there if needed. I always get between 39 to 41mpg loaded although all my travelling is up and down the M5 or A303. I am in now way plugging the maker but just wanted to clarify that they do work.

I had a "box" on my old 120 2.3, it showed average 3-4mpg better, but I removed it after it goosed the fuel pressure reg (after misdiagnosed by bennetts in Watford as injectors)(£3000 later, new inj's, head removal, snapped off bolts removed, cam belt, service etc)

Anyway, once removed, I got 3-4 mpg less, BUT, it used the same amount of fuel!!
I did the same delivery run each night, avg 50mph Watford to Tamworth, then 60mph Tamworth to weybridge, then back to Watford at 60. Same each night, and fill up was always give or take a ltr the same,
Be warned, as they boost only the fuel, it tricks the computer and can lead to fuel pressure issues,

Had a remap at super chips Buckingham on my 180, (free as it was the first 180 they had seen) :)
But I believe fiat have overwritten the ecu when I had warranty problems this year,
Still get over 40mpg on a steady motorway run

I have been looking at remap hardware which is cheap enough, what worries me is the source for remap files, I am a noob and too chicken to try myself.
Any comments on the racetunegalaxy chip, some comments below:

http://www.professionalchiptuning.n...-obd-race-chip-galaxy-vt6990.html?language=en

So would value opinions of that chip and opinions of available and proved remap files for the 2.8jtd on a runs like a slug motorhome

I've never heard of the Galaxy chip or method before, I can see how the obd connection, COULD have a more realistic way of tuning all parameters as opposed to just tricking the ecu, plug in box style, because some remaps are done through the obd, I do however know superchips who did mine removed the ecu and opened it up, because I saw him do it, so quite possibly tuned it on a bench
I would still recommend a remap, by a remapping company that warrants it's work, and also gives knowledgable advice on your vehicle, age, how potential it could affect your vehicle (damage to pumps, injectors, etc) and tune it to a safe level for your vehicle, where as a plug in box will boost the fuel pressure as if your vehicle is new, not potential about to run out of life injectors or high pressure pump etc, just options to consider

I've never heard of the Galaxy chip or method before, I can see how the obd connection, COULD have a more realistic way of tuning all parameters as opposed to just tricking the ecu, plug in box style, because some remaps are done through the obd, I do however know superchips who did mine removed the ecu and opened it up, because I saw him do it, so quite possibly tuned it on a bench
I would still recommend a remap, by a remapping company that warrants it's work, and also gives knowledgable advice on your vehicle, age, how potential it could affect your vehicle (damage to pumps, injectors, etc) and tune it to a safe level for your vehicle, where as a plug in box will boost the fuel pressure as if your vehicle is new, not potential about to run out of life injectors or high pressure pump etc, just options to consider

Well I ordered the chip last night, i can trial it for up to 30 days and if it proves disappointing send it back. I spent hours researching the subject and everyone seems very pleased with this Polish bit of kit, even them Germans:) for €145 it appears to do more than up the pressure or trick the air temps, it needs to bed in for 200 kms so would seem to be intelligent, or maybe its because i'm not!
This remapping can't be rocket science and since a small boy I have loved finding out how things work, so far the only thing I cannot understand at all are of course women:D
I would enjoy remapping myself, I have started to get informed about the interface and cables and the software, quite a bit to be found on youtube plus sites on the subject are there too. Here in Belgium remapping prices are around €500 so it's a rip off
Heres the ebay link which is more expensive to this box of tricks:
http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/171675515488?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Best way of testing, go out now, brim the tank, drive a set steady route flat as possible, for say a couple of hours, covering 50-100 mile, then brim tank noting the miles covered and qty of fuel to re fil,
then fit the unit, bed it in, and then do same again, brim tank before and after and compare the two, don't go off dash computer mpg figures if it has one,
Look forward to hearing results mate, new technology might work

Good idea will do! However, extra economy although welcome remains less important to me than a torque increase!
With a motor home at a maximum 3.5 tons, enforced, frequent gearchanging when climbing and limited reserve power makes overtaking between oncoming traffic somewhat hairy! Some motorhomers are content to potter along at 90k's but this just winds up the truckers
An increase in top speed is of no interest either, 120 kms on the autoroute is enough without bigger brakes, just want a chill out, roll me another joint babe upgrade:D

Its quoting up to 25% more torque if yours is a 2.8 then that is too much torque for the clutch, and pushing it in the 2.3.
This is always the danger if one drives it too hard, its "up to" 25% anyway, I too have heard of people eroding their clutch plates prematurely this way, probably smell it if your overcooking the clutch anyhow; so i'll just have to be gentle and see how I go!
But thanks for the heads up anyway, this would apply to all performance boosts no matter how they are achieved.
I will report back with my findings at a later date, guess i'm the guinea pig for this thing:)

I was just letting you know because I was talking to a polish white van driver and he was giving out about Fiat and the weak clutch and flywheel. He eventually admitted he had the van remapped to 170bhp and it was all his fault. I've seen several ebay file remaps where the flywheel was warped and blued.

I too have had my x250 camper remapped definite increase in power but haven't done enough to say about mpg .Insurance is ok no change but if I'd had it chipped that is classed differently and costs more
doug

Well I did a few little jobs to my 2.8jtd Hymer, fixed the step alarm stopped the bed rocking on it's tube from side to side with cable ties (very annoying whilst bonking) etc and fitted the chip this pm
Took it for a test drive, first impression was smoother engine and better acceleration, I arrived at 110 kmh instead of 100 whilst trying not to change my style of driving and pressure on the pedal, did about 20k's filled the tank and came home.
Now it says, it needs 2-4 days driving, or 200kms to adjust to all the variable conditions, not wishing to be all revved up with nowhere to go, thought i would plan an excursion to the coast next week to give it a chance to bed in.
Will report back after with my findings

So, as promised, having driven around 250k's yesterday, cruising speed, which was between 90 and 100kmph, is now 110kmph for no increase in pedal pressure. Torque feels up, better acceleration even in 5th gear but what a difference in the smoothness of the engine, remarkable!
She feels more car like (more nervous or responsive) and less truck like!:)
Have seen no increase in consumption but was less concerned about that
So, for the money, this chip does the job nicely without an unwanted massive increase in power.
So for the sofim 2.8jtd 2004 with 84000kms on the clock I recommend it, simple to fit and remove with no lasting changes to the CPU.
Seems like a deal:D

So, as promised, having driven around 250k's yesterday, cruising speed, which was between 90 and 100kmph, is now 110kmph for no increase in pedal pressure. Torque feels up, better acceleration even in 5th gear but what a difference in the smoothness of the engine, remarkable!
She feels more car like (more nervous or responsive) and less truck like!:)
Have seen no increase in consumption but was less concerned about that
So, for the money, this chip does the job nicely without an unwanted massive increase in power.
So for the sofim 2.8jtd 2004 with 84000kms on the clock I recommend it, simple to fit and remove with no lasting changes to the CPU.
Seems like a deal:D

Thinking of getting onevto disect. Did you order it direct from the racechipgalaxy site? Is it specifically coded for your vehicle and can you get it recoded for a different one? Is there obd pass through on the connector.

Yes, got it from the website and not Amazon or Ebay! Its from their Dublin reseller but sent out in record time from Poland, ordered wednesday night received friday afternoon
There is no pass through on the connector sadly so will have to be disconnected to read fault codes. It's not as I can see, specifically coded, no marking on the chip or box, I suspect theres one for petrol and one for diesel and the big list of all the different vehicles is there to reassure customers, unless of course they flash it before they box it, you tell me m8?

I know whats going to happen now, you'll buy one, disect it and tell me it does nothing and all this is just in my head lol:confused:
They say if you have bought it through amazon or ebay and you are not satisfied in any way contact them before you leave any negative comments and they do their best to please their customers by sorting any problems!

The ball is now firmly in your court Ecunotemu, curious to see your take on this little box of tricks, hope you are as expert as you appear to be

Last edited:
Asked one or two questions and this is the email answer I got within 15minutes:

Hi my friend

Thank you for your message.

I am so glad to hear you got the item safe and sound and all is working the
way it should be.

There is no secret in it.

We give rough number of 200 km as the most important thing is you have to
drive for few days to let the chip work with hot and cold engine. Why ?
As you probably know hot and cold engine works completely different and
settings are completely different and our device needs some time to read
and adjust all these measures properly.

We do ad maps that suit perfectly your specific car but also there are
universal maps that work with every car of same fuel type.

That means you can use our device with all other cars with 16 pin obd2
plug of same fuel type !!!
All you have to do is to press reset button located inside the box where
you see a little hole. Simple and easy job and does what it says on the
tin :)

All the best and enjoy our product. Please drive safe as well :)

Kind regards
Lukas

RCG team :)

I'm mainly intrigued as the 244 ducato doesn't use standard units and doesn't respond as expected to generic obd commands, not sure how they've accommodated oddities like that in a generic unit.

Also the 244 2.8jtd usually doesn't have egr, throttle valve, electronic wastegate or vnt which really limits what you can do to improve fuel consumption and power.

I wonder is it simply advertising itself as additional sensors to fool the ecu into thinking the coolant/air is hotter, more air, the rpm is within the power band when really its higher/lower.

Well m8, there was a definite improvement, however I had a niggling doubt so I have sent it back for a refund since I found this local guy:
http://www.performcar.be/
He says chips just up the fuel injection pressure:mad:

Full remap 5 years guarantee etc €275, half the price of most of them, if I have any problems he is 2k's from me, once again I will report back when done next wednesday pm
Frankly, I was too tight to pay the €500 which is a rip off anyway but €275 I can swallow:D

Back