Technical JTD cold start

Currently reading:
Technical JTD cold start

edwin884

How can I help my car to start easier on this polar cold morning? Preheaters are new, batt too... Just wanna help him with cold start... Petrol in fuel? What percentage? Is it alowed?

As A3jeroen said, use of proper oil, good charged battery and working glow plugs help. I suppose you can get diesel additives for arctic use also in Britain, if so; use as instructed, try and keep your tank full/reasonably full + make sure you use winter diesel if available

-Tazio

Oh and what I used to do in my JTD time when on holidays my car had to sleep out of his garage and in really cold temps is engaging the preheater twice.
So wait till the light goes out, engage again and start immediately when the light goes out for the second time.

gr J

PS Dobro Jutro! I'll be visiting HR again in the spring (17 weeks countdown now);)

So wait till the light goes out, engage again and start immediately when the light goes out for the second time.
Yup, this is an age old diesel-man's trick and it really works! Howver, it might also burn out glow plugs in modern diesels so save it for the really cold (I'd say below -20 C) starts. Also some moderns do not let you perform this twice in the row in order not to overheat the plugs, even my '93 TD Croma will not allow this in normal situations, only when it's seriously cold and/or the car has been standing for longer periods.

-Tazio

If starting is that difficult, I'd suggest that something else is wrong - possibly poor engine earth.
I've had my JTD for almost 9 years & 137K on the clock - I dont purposely wait for the glowplug light to go out, I normally insert the key and crank the engine immediately. Even in this current cold weather the engine catches immediately.
The only time I had problems was when the original battery died, probably tempting fate, but that was 5 years ago!! Perhaps my 85 mile daily roundtrip to work does have some benefit and prolongs battery life?

Back