jamie oliver chicken programe

Currently reading:
jamie oliver chicken programe

On the program last night it stated that there would never be enough land for free range products to becomes as big an enterprise as battery is ..and with that in mind and if this is true then they will never be able to supply enough in the first place as demand will outstrip supply ..and once all this hype has died down everyone will soon return to the battery products again ..

I would disagree, there is plenty of land to raise chickens. If you look at the land currently left empty at struggling/closed farms this is achievable. Although the population has increased and so has the housing land footprint (which for the England is 10%), chickens used to be raised without intensive farming and they found the space. If you took the area taken by battery farms currently, I would suggest that there is easily 20 times this space available to re-allocate to chicken farming. How often do you see a chicken farm, there not on every corner.

My cousin works for the ministry of agriculture in Holland and the rules for farming chickens are much stricter than here and although they are one of the most populated countries in Europe they don't struggle to find the space.

Last edited:
Cloning!! duhhhhh.

:)

i didnt like the way the other chickens trampled on the little weak ones :(

Unfortunatly this is survival of the fittest and I used to get this when breeding buderigars as they hatch every two days and if fertile eggs didnt hatch the age gap can be great between sibligs and crushing can take place in the nest box one day there would be say three chicks and the next day only two and the youngest would be nothing but a flattened memory ..this could also happen when the hen bird would sit tight on her brood when the weather and temperature dropped..

Actually they will go down as the niche market turns into a competitive market, like free range eggs did. Supply won't decrease, the market will adapt to increase production to meet demand. At some point they will match each other and equilibrium will be reached. There will only be a small point during, which production is trying to meet demand.

i was talking imediate short term, long term effects - i agree with you.

Last edited:
If it wasnt jamie Oliver doing all the talking would people still pay attention to all this hype?

Call me a cynic but I can imagine him sitting at home thinking.... hmmm I havent been on TV for a while, people arent interested in my cookery programmes anymore and my books only sell at christmas, what can I do to raise my profile again? I know! I will find some controversial food related, topic, kick up a fuss about it, start a pointless campaign that will be forgotten about in a few weeks and get my name back in the papers and my face back on TV. Then when my popularity rating goes up I can charge Sainsburys more for the adverts!.......as well as a celebrity-chef he is a shrewd buisnessman and I dont believe he is doing all this purely out of concern, he is being bankrolled by someone and making money out of this somewhere along the line.

As for the subject matter.....would I pay any extra for an "Organic, free-range chicken"??.....dont make me laugh. I believe the average person cant tell the difference when its cooked, I certainly cant. Its a classic example of the "Placebo effect", you think you are getting something special and superiour and its going to taste better, then when you do eat it your sub-concious kicks in and you convince yourself it actually does.

As for the subject matter.....would I pay any extra for an "Organic, free-range chicken"??.....dont make me laugh. I believe the average person cant tell the difference when its cooked, I certainly cant. Its a classic example of the "Placebo effect", you think you are getting something special and superiour and its going to taste better, then when you do eat it your sub-concious kicks in and you convince yourself it actually does.

I think you missed the main pointof the project, it not so much the flavour, it's the way they are reared. If it was all about the taste it wouldn't matter how they were raised as people would buy with their taste buds.

Free range farm's arent what people think they're like. Sure they're let out, but they don't just scratch around a picturesque meadow all day. There's still several thousand hens per shed, and it still stinks like ****! :p
But having said that, the conditions are much fairer, certainly more than battery where the birds aren't even allowed to walk about.

Last edited:
If it wasnt jamie Oliver doing all the talking would people still pay attention to all this hype?

do your research

Jamie Oliver didn't start this campaign. The Chicken Out campaign was started by Hugh Fernley-Whittingston, his programmes started Monday but his project has been ongoing for well over a year

Would you rather serve a roast chicken dinner to your family, your children, when that chicken will have spent its life sitting in its own faeces and urine? Or a free range that hasn't been sujected to that kind of degredation? (sp?)

Ever seen the inside of a cattle shed or even what free range pigs live like?

This subject has certainly ruffled a few feathers! Lol!:devil:
Im sure i speak for the majority when i say "if it dont effect my pocket then im all for it! otherwise............nice thought but, no thanks!"

C-mon jamie, you are getting up on your high-horse again but where are your real loyalties?

Sainsburys sell battery farmed chicken and eggs as well as foie-gras and veal. All of these animal products these have been subject to "cruelty" and "public awareness" campaigns in the past.....yet you are still on TV every 5 minutes plugging them......nothing to do with the rumoured £1m a year they pay you for advertising is it??? But I cant blame you, for that sort of cash I would let anyone call me a rank hypocrite.

Last edited:
C-mon jamie, you are getting up on your high-horse again but where are your real loyalties?

Sainsburys sell battery farmed chicken and eggs as well as foie-gras and veal. All of these animal products these have been subject to "cruelty" and "public awareness" campaigns in the past.....yet you are still on TV every 5 minutes plugging them......nothing to do with the rumoured £1m a year they pay you for advertising is it??? But I cant blame you, for that sort of cash I would let anyone call me a rank hypocrite.

its actually £1.2m a year :p

Please click on the link and read the forums
http://www.chickenout.tv/index.html

do your research

Jamie Oliver didn't start this campaign. The Chicken Out campaign was started by Hugh Fernley-Whittingston, his programmes started Monday but his project has been ongoing for well over a year

Its actually Hugh Fernly Whittingstall..... and there IS a man whose career is presently in terminal freefall! I am sure he is glad of the publicity.
It doesnt matter who started it, JO is on the bandwagon isnt he?

Note I resisted the temptation to point out the fact it would appear you dont even know his correct name:p

Its actually Hugh Fernly Whittingstall..... and there IS a man whose career is presently in terminal freefall! I am sure he is glad of the publicity.
It doesnt matter who started it, JO is on the bandwagon isnt he?

oh my...i got his name wrong :rolleyes:

Look you obviously have nothing constructive to add to this conversation except to slander the people behind it so why are you bothering?(n)

Note I resisted the temptation to point out the fact it would appear you dont even know his correct name:p

why resist it? go for it......

It obviously makes you feel better so carry on!

i dont think he a member on here, try the vw camper van forum

Call me a cynic but I can imagine him sitting at home thinking.... hmmm I havent been on TV for a while, people arent interested in my cookery programmes anymore and my books only sell at christmas, what can I do to raise my profile again? I know! I will find some controversial food related, topic, kick up a fuss about it, start a pointless campaign that will be forgotten about in a few weeks and get my name back in the papers and my face back on TV. Then when my popularity rating goes up I can charge Sainsburys more for the adverts!.......as well as a celebrity-chef he is a shrewd buisnessman and I dont believe he is doing all this purely out of concern, he is being bankrolled by someone and making money out of this somewhere along the line.

Completely agree look at what he did with the school meals, and look how great they are now :rolleyes:.

There is a free range chicken farm near wear I work and it F***ing stinks!. And this is in the winter im dreading summer :(.

Last edited:
If you want to join in with all the other "sheeple" who fall for the BS and suddenly jump on the soapbox shouting about how moraly wrong and what a travesty factory farming is its none of my concern. You believe what you want to, because I certainly do. I only object when people start telling me my way of thinking is wrong after having their views forced on me and as for accusing me of non-constructive comment......is everyone who dissagrees with you guilty of that?

Hugh fernly twittingstall and jamie oliver are pi***** into the wind, they are not going to change public perception and they are not going to change my mind..... you certainly wont so lets leave it at that eh?

Back