jamie oliver chicken programe

Currently reading:
jamie oliver chicken programe

Dont read it then :)

FYI buddy ive read it several times & the other one! All it seems to do is go round in circles achieving a big fat nothing except proving that everybody is different & has a different outlook on things!:p

Well I bought a chicken tonight and it went straight in the bin. Not because of the fact it was a battery chicken (who gives a ****) but the fact it had gone off and stunk and made me :yuck:. Took it back to tesco and they upgraded me to free range for free (y)

it'll be so tasty!!!

You've read both threads several times , and the most inteligent contribution you can think to come up with is that.

With regards to this whole chicken debate............................................................................................... :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Dear God.

I see no one has commented on the news that Mr "be nice to our chickens" Oliver has been found to use eggs from caged hens in Fifteen.

Heard this on Invictor yesterday..... Shame on Jamie.... :shakehead:

Could be rubbish (but who knows huh)

Yep looks like its calmed down already. I didn't like the man anyway he's a tallentless, burk who bigs himself up and cannot talk properly but wants to work in television he's always in Gordon Ramsay's shadow lol.

BTW it did taste nicer but was it worth the extra money If I was paying?. Nope. It still buy the cheaper one as especially once its seasoned I wouldn't tell the difference :rolleyes:. And being near a "Freerange" farm I've seen the conditions and they really arn't much better. It still f****ng stinks, they still live in there own excrement in very crowded conditions etc.

Last edited:
What are you talking about, the caged battery chicken production is being banned completely. Battery means a single chicken housed in a row and stacked, it doesn't mean just caged. You will not be able to house a chicken in a cage without the ability for it to move around and have a perch etc etc, I would say that was a major revolution. Currently the majority are in battery cages only just big enough for the chicken and without the ability to turn around in the cage. I think that is a big change, but the reality is that supermarkets are going one stage further due to public demand and banning any egg from caged hens.

So in essence your comment of campaigns making no difference and being forgotten is complete nonsense as this proves that despite a new law not coming in until 2012 the public pressure has forced the supermarkets to go one step further.

please read the legislation before you assume what the ban means. the ban only covers "barren" battery caging, "enriched" battery caging will be allowed. all that will change is each chicken will get 600cm2 of space (less than a school ruler in width and length) in its cage and a nest box and a perch and some litter. nothing else. only germany is banning enriched cages, everyone else in the eu will use enriched battery cages.

UK animal welfare minister Elliot Morley said
"I am not convinced enriched cages have any real advantages over conventional barren cages."
and
"It won't do any good banning battery cages in the UK if other countries, competitive countries, carry on with them."

we'll import plenty of eggs that come from barren battery farms (even without knowing it in many cases). the only difference is uk farmers wont make that money any more, it will go abroad instead, where conditions for chickens are even worse.

Last edited:
please read the legislation before you assume what the ban means. the ban only covers "barren" battery caging, "enriched" battery caging will be allowed. all that will change is each chicken will get 600cm2 of space (less than a school ruler in width and length) in its cage and a nest box and a perch and some litter. nothing else. only germany is banning enriched cages, everyone else in the eu will use enriched battery cages.

QUOTE]

I didn't assume what it meant, if you read my post properly. I think you'll find there is no such term and "enriched" battery caging.

I would suggest you read it again and then look at the current housing they have before making comparisons (it adds a minimum of 25% more space). In my post I said they would get more room to move around and have a perch and that they would not be in single batteries where they did not have enough room to move. This is a considerable improvement on the way things are currently and is another step to even better conditions. You'll also find that they are banning "battery" production, they are not referred to as "enriched" battery caging as as you said. Conveniently you also don't quote the full story, the space will actually be 750cm2 per bird under the new rules with at least 600cm2 usable with over 20cm height, the cages also have to be a minimum of 2000cm2, which means more usable space in total. They also have other benefits such as claw shortening devices, perches etc.

But despite that and going back to you original comment that these programs and protest have no effect and will be forgotten, look at the supermarkets and their plans to remove eggs from caged production. This is the real result, not the leglislation.

You'll also find that there is a campaign to label food imported to show the source of where the egg's are produced.

You seem to be one of these people who just sit back and comment that nothing will change regardless of what people do. If we all felt like that nothing would change.

Last edited:
Back