Technical Intermittent Power Loss On Gear Change

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittent Power Loss On Gear Change

drobb1985

Hi there,

I have a 2003 Ducato-based motorhome (66,000 miles on the clock) and have been experiencing issues as follows as I go up through the gears:

1st gear, up to 4k - no problems
2nd gear, up to 4k - no problems
3rd/4th gear, up to around around 3k+ and the EML comes on but with no other symptoms...until I change up a gear.

If I quickly go from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th, as soon as I come off the clutch there is a drop in power which feels like a limp mode. However, I've found that if I make the gear change a bit slower, the EML goes off and there are no issues.

I've had a look at similar problems on this forum and others but none seem to match my symptoms entirely. Anyone have any ideas?

You have not stated which engine is fitted to your vehicle. If you want meaningfull replies, please inform the forum.

If the EML illuminates there should be an error code stored in the ECU. Your vehicle may have the early type of 3 pin diagnostic socket under the bonnet, and will need a special cable to read the error codes which are probably specific to Fiat.

As a long shot, the problem could be due to a sticking clutch pedal sensor (switch).

Last edited:
My apologies. Engine type is as follows:

2.8 JTD/HDi
Iveco 8140.43S

Back