Technical Ducato x250 2011 no power on OBD2 port

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato x250 2011 no power on OBD2 port

Hello,

I'm stuck with my new problem.

I have a 2011 (so post-lifting) x250 Ducato with a 3 liter methane powered EUR4 engine. As far as I know, the body wirings are the same as on an EUR4 diesel.

Some time ago I've installed an aftermarket android radio (which worked fine still 2 weeks ago) and a reverse camera, but failed to connect the camera to the radio. As the weather finally allowed some work outside I wanted to plug the reverse camera to the radio. And that's how the problem begun.

Probably while taking out the radio I've shorted something (I assume the +12V cables) to the body. The radio won't turn on. I tried the original radio, same thing.

With a multimeter I've checked and there is 12V between the red and black cables in the FIAT plug which was connected to the original radio. The same 12V appear on the end of the ISO adapter and the further on the plug that plugs into the android device.

But the radio still won't turn on :( I've checked the fuses on both radios, they are OK.

I assumed it must be something with the CAN wires that are also connected to the radio.

I wanted to scan for potential errors with MES. And discovered that there's no power on the OBD2 port :( Pin 16 bottom right for +12 V, pins 4 and 5 top middle for ground.

I've checked in different manuals (pre-/post-lifting x250, x290, Natural Power addendum) and of course (thanks SEVEL) the radio fuse changes. F36, F39, F49 are OK. So, I've checked ALL the fuses in the cab (by my left knee - it's a LHD van), in the engine compartment by the left hand side headlight, in the bottom of the passenger side B pillar and by the starter's battery. 57 fuses in total. ALL are OK...

The A/C seems not to work, the cab overhead lights work properly. OBD2 port doesn't work. Radio doesn't work. As far as I could see, the speedo and tachometer are OK. But I was not driving the van, but the engine starts normally.

I've disconnected all plugs from the body module and inspected them, no signs of shorts, burns, etc. Recconnected them, the date and time were reset on the display.

No change, the OBD2 port is not powered.

Any ideas on a location of any additionnal fuses?

I have the downloaded eLearn but can't remember if it a pre- or post-lifting version. I hope that the on-line eLearn will also work, as it allows me to access the data dedicated to the Natural Power Ducato. Or at least gives such impression :D Will analyse them later in the evening.

Any help / suggestions are welcome.

Check the obd2 socket 12v is not short to ground.
If it is not short to ground you can jump 12v to the back of the socket to read for codes. Though it won't tell you why no power to obd

Fiat seem to be fairly consistent with fuse number allocations, as F39 also powers the OBDII port on my x244. However I notice that the power is routed via the "switch control panel" which covers some of the functions of the BCM in the x250. Perhaps eLearn diagram E8010 for the x250 will reveal something?

Good hunting.

Fiat seem to be fairly consistent with fuse number allocations, as F39 also powers the OBDII port on my x244. However I notice that the power is routed via the "switch control panel" which covers some of the functions of the BCM in the x250. Perhaps eLearn diagram E8010 for the x250 will reveal something?

Good hunting.
In the 2006 and 2009 (no newer ones on the forum so far) owner's manual it's the F39 and / or F49:

1714342513136.png

But it also says on the next page:
1714342595114.png

1714352121330.png

:D

I don't know what Dashboard controls are, but the driver's power window works perfectly.

Then, the newest x290 owner's manual is from 2015 and what I've found there:

1714353164066.png

1714353247969.png

Then I've found on my disc the closest owner's manual to the production date of my van, which is 2013 (so definitely the post-lifting x250, which I'm just uploading to the forum). And that's what it says on the fuses:

1714354290824.png

1714354339014.png

1714354362069.png

Looking at those three sets of the three fuses ONLY it seems correct that the post-lift x250s electrics are same or very similar to those of the early (pre-first lift) x290s. Looking at the other fuses they are not...

And that's the layout of the cab fusebox from my van:

2024-04-27 18.54.02.jpg

The values are not 100% compatible.

During the next visit to the van I will take pictures of the two remaining fuseboxes, so perhaps looking at the layouts from the owner's manuals we / I will be smarter.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will also check them at the first possible occasion.

Success!!!

I started by disconnecting the battery and leaving it for some time. It didn't help :(

So, I decided I'll try to connect an external +12V to the BCM as suggested by @jackwhoo. The OBD2 port was not shorted to ground, but lucky for me I decided I will take the BCM out of the car, check for potential damages and then look how to connect the external power.

I've disassembled the BCM (interesting construction, especially the connectors part), examined everything with a strong maginifying glass and saw no damage.

Then I've replugged all the fuses, replaced just in case the 3 potentially responsibles for the problem, plugged the 9 or 10 plugs and decided to check if magically the problem has not been resolved.

And magically there was power on the OBD2 port...

I assume the unplugging / replugging helped. Or the BCM left with no power for like 30 minutes somehow reset itself.

There was a LOT of errors after connecting to MES. I cleared everything and rechecked. The only one present is the external temperature sensor missing, as there is a piece of loom missing (and I will be working on that soon).

At the end I've insulated all the wires behind the radio to avoid potential shorts in the future :)

I've also connected the reverse camera and the USB cable to the radio (I will be using it as charger + potentially audio source).

Blade fuses - unless obviously visually blown I check for continuity using a meter, in case there is a hard to see break in the conductor.

In the 2006 and 2009 (no newer ones on the forum so far) owner's manual it's the F39 and / or F49:

View attachment 443992
But it also says on the next page:
View attachment 443993
View attachment 443998
:D

Then I've found on my disc the closest owner's manual to the production date of my van, which is 2013 (so definitely the post-lifting x250, which I'm just uploading to the forum). And that's what it says on the fuses:

View attachment 444001
View attachment 444002
View attachment 444003

Looking at those three sets of the three fuses ONLY it seems correct that the post-lift x250s electrics are same or very similar to those of the early (pre-first lift) x290s. Looking at the other fuses they are not...
From the data ive seen on the X290 there is no F39 and no stated fuse for the EOBD socket. (perhaps i'm just blind).
Did you find anything that could help x290 owners on this issue.
PS well done for sorting your problem.

Back