Technical Intermittant starting

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittant starting

recoveryharryp

Hi there

I have a 2003 non turbo diesel doblo @160k on the clock

Some days it will start first turn of the key, other days it turns over but doesnt fire. There seems to be no specific reason or circumstances for this. I can come back ten minutes later and it will start first turn of the key after not firing, and other days it wont restart after starting first time.

Today it is dead in my drive - almost a Basil Fawlty moment

No eml on, no codes on reader.
Glowplugs replaced 2k miles ago.
Battery and alternator both working ok
Fuel filter replaced
Tried both keys to see if immobiliser, no different

When it is running normally, no loss of power of any funny business, apart from idle is a bit lumpy. All of the above have been changed/tried to eliminate the problem over a couple of months, to no avail

Any ideas would be appreciated

Last edited:
When a similar thing happened to my 2003 JTD a couple of months ago it was the crank sensor failing (quite common apparently).

In my case the van tended not to start when engine warmed up though rather than cold.

Since the part is £45 from Fiat, you may wish to verify that this is your problem... Although it's a straightforward disconnect/unbolt/replace/reconnect job, I found it impossible to do with my limited axle stands/tools/eyesight lying on my back on the driveway, so I managed to get it to a local garage who fitted it for not very much.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Jobs a good-un , new crank sensor fitted, Hey Presto, starts first time every time.

Wipers packed up on test drive after though

Ah yes.... The Doblo whack-a-mole syndrome. Look out, because these things come in threes, or multiples thereof. :eek:

Back