General Insurance Valuation

Currently reading:
General Insurance Valuation

Sussex Stu

Hi guys, it looks like my MW will be written off after sliding on some black ice the other week. Any ideas how I can drive the price up on what the insurance are going to offer me ?
It is/was a 03 1.9 JTD Dynamic - so I guess what I'm asking is what came as std & what was extra on this ? :confused:

Cheers !

Last edited:
Does this not depend on a lot of things,

Eg, Mileage, pre accident condition, Service history, What the market value is, Blah blah blah.

Cant see it being worth more that £3000 tops but again depends on a whole load of variables. And ofcourse if you want to replace it with another one. So start looking at auto trader seeing whats on there and perhaps use that as a bargining chip.

First thing is did you purchase the car from a dealer
or was it a private sale. That determines which part of
market value you aim for. If it was from a dealer then
check on all the websites autotrader - desperate to sell
at the dealer prices for a car in the same age / condition and
milage as your own. Print out 2 copies of each advert.
One to forward to your insurance the second for your reference.
If you bought the car from a private sale the market value
is cheaper than forcourt value.

You never accept the first offer and cheque - you return
it marked cancelled to the insurace company. Second offer
is normally as high as the insurance will go too.

John

Thanks for the input guys - I'll trawl round Autotrader & see what the prices are like. Also, I'm still waiting for the verdict - it may not be right off after all but I have my doubts !

just a heads on this, my 03 active 5dr was a total loss just after xmas. mine had 140k on - i was the only owner and i setteled for £2450 (first offer). this was because they had quoted it had low milage to me and i wasnt going to correct them.
i was pretty pleased as it allowed me to get a diesel multiwagon, 1 year younger and half the milage for just over £400.
roy

lost it in the snow, n/s wheel pushed under the car, front n/s lower wishbone sheared, steering colum sheered, driveshaft sheared (they said it had also punched and cracked the gearbox),
bulkead dented badly where the wheel impacted, front bumper totalled, and n/s whing flanged out. all from an 15mph impact with a kurb!!!.
insurance company suspected that the lower wishbone had a hairline crack in it to fail in this manor.
devistated completly as i owned my baby from new and had wrapped her in bubble wrap.
nvr mind i loving the oil burner more and having the big bum insted of the boring 5dr bum is also nice, plus the lower tax class and nearly twice the mpg im quids in already.....
roy

lost it in the snow, n/s wheel pushed under the car, front n/s lower wishbone sheared, steering colum sheered, driveshaft sheared (they said it had also punched and cracked the gearbox),
bulkead dented badly where the wheel impacted, front bumper totalled, and n/s whing flanged out. all from an 15mph impact with a kurb!!!.
Bad luck Roy :(

I did a similar thing and lost the front end on a roundabout just coming in to Geneva (whole city was under a blanket of ice/snow) although I'd got my speed down top less than 5mph.

The high kerb sliced through the off-side under protector, missing the A/C by half an inch and I think took the rest of the impact on the rubber. Had to get out and push the car off the kerb but it's still steering dead straight so hoping there's no damage to the suspension.

Back