Insurance question

Currently reading:
Insurance question

A

Ant Wells

I have a quick question regarding additional drivers. I've been looking at putting my girlfriends parents on my policy as additional drivers to help reduce the costs. The issue is the distance that they live away (around 280 miles). Will this make a difference? I.e. will the insurance company say that they would rarely drive the car, or will they be fine with it?

Cheers,
Ant.

sig.jpg

It shouldnt mate adlong as you have social domestic and pleasure id say youll be fine.Aslong as you tell um who will be the main user. Shell is my main driver im just casual.
Or failing that,Wouldnt it work out cheaper to have the car in their name and put you as additonal driver?

It would be cheaper that way but it would also be fraud. Since I'm the main driver my policy has to say so, otherwise it's fronting and if there was an accident they wouldn't pay out.

It's working out almost £400 cheaper with my nan and my manager on as additional drivers :)

sig.jpg

ah yes am with ya,i think my insurance said something about that.we was gona go as shared but it worked out dearer so with the car being in my name i put me as the main user and shell as casual which didnt work out,so had to put her as main driver as she uses it every day and me every now and then.

If you were to insure it in your gf's parents name and added you as a 2nd driver,But they told um you were going to be the main driver youd be fine.Thats how me and shell have it, as described above.

But then I wouldn't get any NCB ;) I've always had my own policy and I like it that way. ALthough I'm paying more I know 100% that it is legal. I've never heard of an additional driver being named as the main driver, didn't even know you could do that lol!

I'm gonna give them a buzz tomorrow and see what the difference in premiums is, hopefully it could save me a couple of hundred pounds :)

sig.jpg

some companies award named drivers with NCB though.

and also if the car was in their name, and you were just a named driver then if an accident did occur whilst you were driving how are they able to prove that you are the main driver?

if you are on the policy as an occasional user and had an accident, then it was during one of the times you occasionally use it.. How could they prove otherwise? If your on the policy in any way then you can use the car however much you want unless their is something relating to limited use or limited mileage. only time fraud will come into play is if the insurance company somehow prove that over the entire duration of the policy your car has not been stored overnight at the address they have been given....

yer thats it,thats how i dont get it.But they do ask what your occupation is so i think they take that into consideration?? The car is mine registered to me and told them shell isnt working but at coll so she will be the main driver as im out working all day,therefore ill be using the car occasionally.Oh and she does get her ncb BUT its only valid IF we stay with them etc to which theres the catch ;) She may be able to use her ncb elsewhere but its upto them wether theyll let us not.She was going to have the policy in her name but with 0ncb and license less than 1 year (to build her own ncb) but worked out expensive!
BTW im with Admiral :)

Yeah Admiral have been quoting cheap for me (£1300 on a 155 as opposed to £3000+ from other insurers!!) only catch with them, in my case, is the quote only stays at that price if I pay one lump sum. As soon as I request monthly installments it shoots up to match the rest of the market :(

sig.jpg

it cant be that bad,id say youd pay 2k back poss 2.5k? If thats the cheapest on a 155 then you may aswell go for it.

try brentacre insurance services, they're mega cheap and do modified car policies cheaper than anywhere else.

this insurance business is a complete con! your occupation makes a difference to the cost even if its only insured for social domestic and pleasure. I had it out with my company over needing to put my mum on mine just in case she needed it. They said because im self employed it is more expensive even though i am not insured to use the vehicle for commuting to a set place of work, and my policy does not cover business use in any way so im not allowed to use the car for anything relating to work... i just do it all in the van.

also, get this, they said because im self employed and my mum is retired we are more likely to have more time in which to use the car, and so it would be more expensive. Even though the annual mileage is a set figure that i aren't supposed to go over! lol.

insurance is ridiculous nowadays because of the rising number of people claiming injury in accidents and the amount of uninsured drivers on the road. The government is trying to combat this by that new thing they are bringing in by fining people who own and tax an uninsured car, by saying that it should be sorn if it does not have any valid insurance. i think they were on about capping insurance costs for people 25+, which would be good but wont help me for a few years yet.

I'm with Brentacre ;)

By far the cheapest quote I got, tried adding additional drivers today (in the hope it would go down) and they wanted £75 extra for admin an the policy didn't change. They said the details they go off are for the young driver (me) and the other drivers didn't matter.

sig.jpg

So you went with brentacre then? or is that who your currently with? lol

cos im a delivery driver,i cant use another car with owners permission even tho im fully comp! :0 I had it out with them over the phone for eg if my car was in the garage id have to borrow a friends car etc but they wouldnt have it,their policy and other companies wont allow delivery drivers to use another vehicle.they said its cos i use a motor vehicle all day other then mine,even tho its works van..not mine.So had no choice really.no wonder ppl put down theyre in admin or other jobs lol

That's who I'm currently with. Although their customer service could do with being assessed. When I called to ask about adding additional drivers I was told it was £75 more (admin cost). When I asked why it didn't go down they said it was because they go off the main driver and not additional drivers and when I said I was expecting it to go down he laughed at me and said 'oh you silly boy'!!! F*****g p**ck lol (excuse my french, but it really annoyed me).

sig.jpg

LOL ant :) i would have said 'oh you silly boy consider yourself having a complaint in' :p lol