Technical Incase you missed it...

Currently reading:
Technical Incase you missed it...

Should have a much healthier looking head by next week. House smells of 5W40 fully synth :D

DSC0004812.JPG

:D

She's running. As I say need an idle valve (£200 from Fiat :eek: so will be searching the scrap yards for a Coupe). She'll only idle with a crank up of the bypass screw which isn't good for CO on the MOT - scraped past it 2 years ago. Couple of rusty patches on her underbelly and the rear arches but dunno if they're bad enough to fail on mot. Brake discs are very rusty so might need new ones. Then it's a few wiring repairs on the wires to the tailgate and she'll be go!

Well then.

MOT verdict is in. In order of severity - or should that be cost? :cry:

Hole in front passenger footwell close to seat mount
Hole in front drivers footwell close to seat mount
Excess corossion to front off-side brake line = it went pop on MOT:rolleyes:
Corroded front brake discs
corroded rear brake discs
Near side headlamp inoperative
Offside indicator inoperative
Numberplate lamp inoperative

At least we have a target. :eek:

Last edited:
I've just got my M-reg 1.4 Tipo through the MOT, with a bit of effort.

All of these cars will now be in danger of floorpan rot alongside the sills underneath - the underseal ages and damp gets inside without you knowing. I cleaned off loads of old underseal and scraped / ground a lot of flaky, rusty metal and uncovered quite a few holes. It all got plated up and primed / undersealed, should be OK for a while now.

I suggest everyone at least lifts their front carpets and has a good poke around along the edges and in the corners, and also jack up each side as much as you can and jab away inside the sill seam, you'll probably find some rot that needs sorting. Obviously the best bet is to get it on a ramp with a good inspection lamp!

My car was much worse along the passenger side, my theory is that road spray from the front wheels gets inside the underseal and starts the rust, and there's probably more water on the left side of the road.

In any case when you're getting welding done, you need to really lift the carpets away from the floorpan and move any wires or pipes so they don't get fried, ideally someone sits in the car monitoring and blowing out any sparks or flames!

Let's see who else discovers some hidden problems!

It's going into the bodyshop next to where it's being resurected this week for the floorpan welding. Then it's on with the new rear discs and replacement of the required brake pipes.... so that I can drive it about a bit with my foot on the foot brake. That should clean them up a bit.

Then it's sort out the few wiring issues - probably just bad connections, and lastly get hold of a idle valve. With any luck Gaz will have a working spare from one of his Tipos that he'll be willing to part with.

Well then.

MOT verdict is in. In order of severity - or should that be cost? :cry:

Hole in front passenger footwell close to seat mount
Hole in front drivers footwell close to seat mount
Excess corossion to front off-side brake line = it went pop on MOT:rolleyes:
Corroded front brake discs
corroded rear brake discs
Near side headlamp inoperative
Offside indicator inoperative
Numberplate lamp inoperative

At least we have a target. :eek:

Then it's sort out the few wiring issues - probably just bad connections, and lastly get hold of a idle valve.

corrosion on body and brake discs...gremlins in the electrics....the tub and teapot really are closely related:p

Rear brakes are done, new handbrake cables on order.
All lights are sorted out.
2 holes and a soft bit will be welded up this weekend.

Think that leaves the front brakes to clean up, and the emissions to pass - then it's find an insurance company and tax!

And it's back on the road!

Thanks to everyone who helped, especially Gaz for the refurbed head, F.A.S.T for putting it all back together, and all the numpties who rang me up while I was on call giving me the cash to be able to do this. Sufficient to say I could have bought a few Sedici's for the price it's cost to get the milkbottle back up and running. The 1 mile run from the garage to work made it all worth while though :D

Bring on mitcar!

Last edited:
Back