Technical Incase you missed it...

Currently reading:
Technical Incase you missed it...

Somthing stopping the belt spinning against the rotation of the crank - balancer belt, loose tensioner or failed tensioner bearing. What may feel tight to your hand can be inadquate to turn the cams, as when you have the head off you'll find out by putting a ratchet on the cam nose and turning it. When you remove the cam caps you'll be able to see if they had seized while running i.e.a dry bearing - it will look a mess. This is easy work to do, just a bit of patience in getting the head off, and a lot of breaking of fiat clips to do it. Remove head and manild as one, remember all the water pipes on the rear of the engine, some have clips on the manifold. IF it happend at speed you could well find it a bloody mess inside esp if a valve head broke off. I wouldnt pay someone to do the inspection, save it and do it yourself.

rich

Engine turns easily on the starter motor, almost too easily which we confirmed was due to no compression. If I can convince my dad to let me use his carport/yard it would be much easier than wheeling the tipo in/out the the garage - especially as it takes 3 people pushing to get her up the lip ;)

I guess I could probably take the engine apart myself, putting it back together might be a harder job :)

DSC000063.JPG

DSC000074.JPG

https://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/MOV00008.3GP

For some reason I missed all these replies..
Maybe your Engine Block/Head/Gasket is cracked causing no compression :confused:
God I hope not!
But hopefully not. Any news?
Not had chance to do any more testing/work on the car.
One one cylinder or all of them? :confused:
H
All of them. Not a sausage.

I've never done anything as serious as take an engine apart before. Obviously I'm going to have to get tooled up.. I've got a decent socket set but will I also need ribe bits?

Where do I start? (probably not the best sign of confidence) Off with the manifolds and all the pipes?

For some reason I missed all these replies..

God I hope not!

Not had chance to do any more testing/work on the car.

All of them. Not a sausage.

I've never done anything as serious as take an engine apart before. Obviously I'm going to have to get tooled up.. I've got a decent socket set but will I also need ribe bits?

Where do I start? (probably not the best sign of confidence) Off with the manifolds and all the pipes?

I would lift the head off with manifiolds. Biggest problem is getting all the pipes off. Make sure you mark the pipes or take sketches and or photos. There are a few!!! Have you got the cam belt cover off? If so, with cam cover off as well, turn the engine over with plugs in and see if the cams move ok. Also check the counter belt is intact. if all seems ok, then its off with the head. Easiest way, is to cut the cambelt, but remember to set the timing marks on the cam wheels to the pointers first. 10k belt cannot be re-used.
I thought i would need Ribe sockets, but mangaged to undo the head bolts with a Torx socket. You will need to budget for a new head gasket and maybe a head skim
Just a thought, if the head gasket has gone and the compression is that bad, you would here the escape gasses when turning the engine over and surely the water and oil would have mixed.

Andy.

Back