Technical How to know when to replace break pads?

Currently reading:
Technical How to know when to replace break pads?

Lunatico

Hello,

Apologies if this is already somewhere in the forum, I just couldn't find it. I have a 2006 1.2 Dynamic GP.

How can I tell when the break pads need to be replaced?

On previous cars I've owned they used to have like a little metal marker that you could easily see, even with the wheel on, so when the pad reached that marker it meant pads needed replacing and if you didn't change them the metal would make a noise because it would touch the disc.

I couldn't find this sort of thing on my GP. Do I need to take the wheel off? Any tips?

The reason I ask is because since I got my GP (5 months ago) it has got this grinding noise when I break, right after I got it I took it back to the dealer to get it checked and they said breaks where fine, so I presume it's a normal sound? I just want to be safe.

Thanks!

there is a electronic pad wear indicator on the F-N-S outboard pad but that will only cover that one pad.......

:ROFLMAO::cry: :ROFLMAO: Cost cutting gone mad!

In answer to the OP: When you here a grinding noise of metal on metal then you have left it too long!

Your pads probably are fine if the dealer said so but what they might not of looked at was the lip on the disc.
When you change pads and not discs you get left with a lip on the disc that the pad can ride on making a squealing noise!
Get the wheel off and look how the pad is sitting on the disc

Get the wheel off and look how the pad is sitting on the disc

I see what you mean... but mine is not a squealing noise, it's more like a scraping noise. It's not terribly loud or anything, it's just something I've never heard on a car before. But then again, I had never owned a Fiat before. ;)
I'll take the wheel off and see...

The car is an '06 and it only has 24000 Km. I honestly don't know if the pads have ever been replaced... what I do know is that the car was parked for 3-5 months at the dealer's before I bought it. Could it be the it built up dirt or rust? I suppose I'll know once I take the wheel off.

So I took the wheel off and it doesn't look bad to me but I'm no expert so I took a few pics and I'm going to post them here so the experts can judge better.

Thanks!

Back