General How long was your car made before it was registered (find out)

Currently reading:
General How long was your car made before it was registered (find out)

captainslarty

Banned
Hello peeps,
If you have the VIN number handy, you can find out quicky how long the car was sat around Poland, England, wherever, before it was first registered... Many 07 cars are 06 etc, same for every year...
You can use Fiat E ePER if you have it, or post the VIN and I can tell you..(as can anyone with ePER)

Mine is registered Feb 2004, the real info is..
2Q - NUOVA PANDA (2003-2009)
169.033.0.0 - 1.2 8V E4 DYNAMIC-5 PORTE
Engine: 1955167 Vehicle: 01026594 Prod. date: 13/10/2003

SPECIAL VERSION NO SPECIAL VERSION (LV0)
M 1.2 8V (M5)
V DYNAMIC (V3)
P 5 DOORS (P5)

So it only sat around for 4 months..
Would be interesting looking at a few to see how long a cross section of cars actually were sat in car parks or at dealers (are higher spec models parked up longer etc).. anyone want to check ? ;)

Just post the VIN and original reg date...

Try this, :)

Reg year 03
vin, ZFA1880000577038

cheers, (y)
You missed a zero I think, if so, it is as follows :) : -

1N - PUNTO BZ (1999-2003) 188.120.2.0 - 60 SS.GO SOUND 1.2 8V E3 3 DOOR Engine: 1615232 Vehicle: 00371808 Prod. date: 11/3/2003

SPECIAL VERSION S.S.GO (LV15) M 1.2 8V CF3 (M3) V SX (V2) P 3 DOORS (P3)

if not, check vin, should be 17 figures..
Cap.

Last edited:
You missed a zero I think, if so, it is as follows :) : -

1N - PUNTO BZ (1999-2003) 188.120.2.0 - 60 SS.GO SOUND 1.2 8V E3 3 DOOR Engine: 1615232 Vehicle: 00371808 Prod. date: 11/3/2003

SPECIAL VERSION S.S.GO (LV15) M 1.2 8V CF3 (M3) V SX (V2) P 3 DOORS (P3)

if not, check vin, should be 17 figures..
Cap.

cheers,thats the one, (y)

11/3/2003 is indeed the reg date,

Why ?
Not much use without the reg - even then so what ? if someone wants a vin and reg just walk around a car park and get them from the car in 20 seconds.
If someone wants it, its printed on the dash inside the windscreen !
The number plates are on the front and back ;)
Absolutely not an issue.

Example, using nothing but google and web sites available to all public.

The panda 4*4 for sale here...

Was registered Jun 2007
other details INCLUDING VIN - Just from number plate in seconds.
Big brother is NOT watching you, and even if he is, he aint bothered.. :rolleyes:
(From fiat UK site - open to ALL PUBLIC)

Number plate YA07TTK
VIN ZFA16900000937918
MODEL N.PANDA 1.4 16V 5P SPORTING

FUEL PETROL
CUBIC CAPACITY 1368 CC
INTERIOR COLOUR BLACK FABRICS
EXTERIOR COLOUR GREY
POWER 74 KW - 100 CV
BODY 2 VOLUMES
DRIVE RIGHT

nope... some do some dont, has to be in at least 2 places. Of no consequence though, because as said, vin can be obtained from web for most vehicles.
If you dont want to post yours Dave, no worries.
What do you think people are going to do with it ? - steal your identity while they sort through your rubbish for more info ?...
Give me your mk3 panda reg and I will get you a vin in seconds, anyone can, just using the web - no tools or programs. No sweat, nobody wants to steal it.

Last edited:
My car was made in very late April (I can't remember the exact date) in Tychy and I was driving it in Manchester by the 11th! I worked it it was about 10 days from leaving the factory to being parked outside my house. Very impressive. I suspect it might have been delivered across Europe by train then onto a boat into the UK.

Talking of this my dad once had a 1997 R reg Fiesta Ghia. It was registered in August 1997 making it an R reg. However it had the old 1.3 push rod engine and no aircon, all Ghias from 1997 had aircon as standard.

I checked the VIN and discovered it was made in Feb 1996. I wonder why it took almost 18 months from being manufactured to be sold? I suspect:-

1) It was dark green
2) It had the old push rod engine, if you had the money for a Ghia you had the money for the much more modern zetec engines not an iron lump from the Ford Anglia :p.
3) It was a cancelled order? It had quite a bizzare spec, no aircon but it did have an electric drivers seat and heated front windscreen. It was an £850 car (9 years old) and lasted him four years so it was a good buy.

Back in 1990 my old man came home with a new (rhd) Panda 750L on some cheap deal for the local stealers.

It came with twin fabric sunroofs, front and back, a couple of deckchairs for front seats and a hammock for the rear, 4 speed box yet the lever went into the space for 5th, it just wasn't there and a rear washer, but no wiper or motor.

Three years later, took it for it's first MOT and the tester failed it, as the headlamps dipped to the right, not the left??

We didn't look under the trim, but we all reckoned it had someone half eaten ciabatta under there.

Last edited:
Back in 1990 my old man came home with a new (rhd) Panda 750L on some cheap deal for the local stealers.

It came with twin fabric sunroofs, front and back, a couple of deckchairs for front seats and a hammock for the rear, 4 speed box yet the level went into the space for 5th, it just wasn't there and a rear washer, but no wiper or motor.

Three years later, took it for it's first MOT and the tester failed it, as the headlamps dipped to the right, not the left??

We didn't look under the trim, but we all reckoned it had someone half eaten ciabatta under there.

:ROFLMAO:

Gotta love the Stealers eh ? --- Estate agents are almost human compared to them.. even banks are more honest and they all deserve to be in Parkhurst or Dartmoor...:D:shrug:

I think I can guess when mine was made: going by the date on some of the interior plastic mouldings, and the plaque in the glovebox saying when to replace the airbags and seatbelt pretensioners, (although I recently read in Practical Classics that this can be ignored,) mine was built in February 2004, and it was registered in April 2004.

I think everyone in or near my family have had the odd duff Fiat in the past, but we all seem to still love them, guess it's part of the "lucky dip" charm.

There was that 750L.
A '75 aircooled 126 that filled up with water.
Another 126, this time w/c that ate drive shafts.
Mk1 Punto that wouldn't stay locked.
Mk2 Punto with a dash that refused to work even after three replacements.

Years ago, a long time family friend ordered one of them new cars built by robots (for the young 'uns out there, it was a Strada), come and have a look.
He picked it up friday and it was white, friday night it rained, saturday it was yellow with rusty water pouring out of every seam and joint.

Got to admit, I've been lucky with all of mine (well, since my '86 Uno), and the one's in the family now have all been bullet proof.

Last edited:
I think everyone in or near my family have had the odd duff Fiat in the past, but we all seem to still love them, guess it's part of the "lucky dip" charm.

There was that 750L.
A '75 aircooled 126 that filled up with water.
Another 126, this time w/c that ate drive shafts.
Mk1 Punto that wouldn't stay locked.
Mk2 Punto with a dash that refused to work even after three replacements.

Years ago, a long time family friend ordered one of them new cars built by robots (for the young 'uns out there, it was a Strada), come and have a look.
He picked it up friday and it was white, friday night it rained, saturday it was yellow with rusty water pouring out of every seam and joint.

Got to admit, I've been lucky with all of mine (well, since my '86 Uno), and the one's in the family now have all been bullet proof.

Fiats are very often unfairly criticised. Back in 2005, my parents bought a 5 year old mk2 Punto, and it's still with them, though sadly, they will be trading it in this year. :(
I took such a liking to their Punto that I eventually bought a mk2 myself, which I have had for nearly 4 years, and now, it would take something very drastic to make me part with it for something other than a newer model Punto!

Back