General How do i overide start stop on automatic 1.2

Currently reading:
General How do i overide start stop on automatic 1.2

Yes left foot brake right throttle and just one or other, I know peeps are saying just apply the foot brake , but you can't be on the brake and throttle at the same time, I'm not used to the car yet, it's only day one, but I usually don't have to apply the h/brake at a give way, but maybe it's just this start stop , il give it a wee practise tomorrow, hopefully it will be better

You can be on both pedals at the same time.

When you want to be stopped then it's brakes only, but when you want to move off keep your foot on the brake, put it in gear, foot on the accelerator and release the brake as soon as your revs are high enough. No rollback.

Betty, if I'm reading things right, then leaving Start-Stop off permanently would effectively give you the same experience as you had with your Corsa. Your auto box is "slipping the clutch" as a manual would do to stop you rolling back. Unless your car has "Hill Holder" as above, you'll never get any benefit from Start-Stop unless you use it in conjunction with the handbrake.

BJM

Well I suppose it's just a matter of what your used to , the old corsa is a wee go car, never had any probs with her, but she's old and a wee bit rusty on the undercarriage, and gobbles up the fuel . But very nippy and quick off the mark .

Yes effectively , it's slipping the clutch, didn't know an automatic could do that. In the old car because their is no gears just select drive and that's it, no clutch control, no having to get to biting point , the other difference is you use the foot brake to slow down, not go down the gears .

Daniel, I'm prepared to bet there's not an ADI instructor out there who would approve your technique. If the OP's car is not defective, then just maybe the 500 was never engineered to be driven that way.

BJM

Yes, in Drive, an auto box should hold the car stationary if you don't touch the gas. If badly adjusted, they can "creep" the car. I understand the workings but always fought shy of them.

BJM

When sitting on a steep hill , I usually just stay in drive mode and cover my brake (with my left foot) lol if it's extra busy I will select park mode and handbrake , hopefully if I override the s/s this will stop the clutch from slipping , if not il be forced to use the handbrake and that will slow me a wee bit , I've been spoiled I want instant drive with no roll back lol

There's a long history of debate on the pro's and cons of Start-Stop. Our 500 barely does 100 miles in a month, so the power that the system draws out of the battery is never replaced. If you're driving the car a lot (and spend a lot of time sitting in traffic) then Start-Stop might be able to justify its existence for you. Horses for courses, it's just an extra button on our car! :)

BJM

Tell me does anyone notice the difference in not using the s/s re the fuel economy?

There's a long history of debate on the pro's and cons of Start-Stop. Our 500 barely does 100 miles in a month, so the power that the system draws out of the battery is never replaced.

That's not how it works, your battery depletes from sitting unused, the S/S system doesn't drain any power that the alt can't very quickly put back. The S/S cars have a more aggressive charge profile and run a higher voltage than non-S/S cars. In any car that only does 100miles a month the battery will be weak.

Tell me does anyone notice the difference in not using the s/s re the fuel economy?

I've measured idle fuel consumption before and done the maths. You can look it up but it works out the roughly 30l/10,000km or about 1 free tank a year for an average lowish milage car. This is at a 50km/h avg speed so nearly 50% highway driving. In 100% city use you could double that figure. In my 100% city driven Mercedes 2.3, I recorded a best tank of 10.9l/100km by switching the engine off manually at every oportunity, that was a 3l/100km saving (being more aggressive than a factory S/S system).

You can find some of my experiments here: https://www.fiatforum.com/500/342685-some-interesting-data-collected.html

Left foot braking is just fine at junctions, you shouldn't do it whilst actually driving at soeed though.

If you switch between manuals an autos, you should NEVER touch the brake with your left foot. I was once driving an auto for a day and about half way through, decided that I needed to change to second with the clutch - my foot then tried to press the brake pedal to the floor as quickly as it could (my hand didn't reach for the shifter so it was just the leg's muscle memory). A very quick stop resulted with luckily no traffic behind me. Up until that point I'd been using my left foot to hold it at lights. Once my left foot was told it had absolutely no work to do, it just stuck to the footrest. This in particular applies to tiptronic style autos that you might want to shift 'manually'.

If you only drive autos, I used to left foot brake all the time, nothing wrong with it. Left foot on brake, bring the revs up, wait for the light then bam! You're off (y)

Last edited:
Use your hand break, it's what it's there for! That said I've had a few whoopsie moments in my (manual) 500 which I would like to put down to "getting used to the car" but admit it's probably sheer driver error

They are machines, they have limits and capabilities - and they fail!

We live and learn

The 500 dualogic is not a conventional automatic with a torque converter - it's a robotised manual gearbox with an automatically actuated clutch.

Unless the car also has the hill holder option, it will roll back on a slope regardless of whether the engine is running or not - turning off S/S will make no difference to the issue bettyboo is experiencing. As others have said, you need to hold the car on the handbrake when pulling away on a hill, just as you would do with a conventional manual car.

The dualogic does not 'creep' when in drive at idle like a conventional auto with a torque converter.

There's nothing wrong with either bettyboo's car, or the dualogic system per se - it's just different, and like any vehicle, you need to drive in in the correct way for that particular type of vehicle to get the best from it. That means reading the manual (sorry about the pun) and adapting your own driving style to suit the characteristics of the car.

It's a little different to my old automatic corsa, when I sit just say on a hill , I have my foot on the brake, when it's time to go it's off the brake and onto the throttle, if I think I'm going to be a while I just put into the park mode, and occasionally h/brake, so really you only need one pedal at a time, no roll back .

Forget how you used to drive the corsa - the 500's dualogic is a different kind of transmission and it will by design roll back unless you have the hill holder option fitted.

If you try to hold it on the throttle when stationary on a hill, you'll wear out the clutch prematurely, just as you would in a car with a manual gearbox. You will need to use the handbrake to stop the rollback when pulling away on a slope.

Last edited:
Hi Bettyboo, I've had a 1.2 pop dualogic for 4 years now, and I'm guessing what you're finding is that when you're on a hill / incline and the stop start has stopped the car, then when you want to drive away, there is rolling back before the engine has restarted.

This is how I solve that problem. When the car is stopped, I hold the car with my left foot on the brake. Just before I want move off, I push the gear lever to first to restart the engine, then use the brake as you would a clutch, as Maxi says, and off you go.

I've never had a problem with the stop start, it's always worked and has never drained my battery despite using the car for mainly short very congested trips so it's always stopping and starting. I did turn it off for a while to see if it made a difference to fuel economy and it did, so I leave it on now.

...and if you used your left foot to brake in your auto driving test, then you would fail. Driving becomes almost autonomous and, for safety's sake, it's always best to adopt as foolproof a set of driving habits as possible. You weren't taught to use your left foot to brake, so why did you stray from how you were taught???

BJM

That's not how it works, your battery depletes from sitting unused, the S/S system doesn't drain any power that the alt can't very quickly put back. The S/S cars have a more aggressive charge profile and run a higher voltage than non-S/S cars. In any car that only does 100miles a month the battery will be weak.

I'm well aware that a battery can become discharged through disuse. It's about 1.5 miles from home to the local Asda - if active, with sufficient battery charge available, the Start-Stop would be called upon to operate maybe 10 times. I simply don't see how the alternator could replenish the charge lost. The system was looked at by the dealer who reached the same conclusion as me - Start-Stop simply isn't viable due to the car's pattern of use. It SHOULD be an optional extra.

BJM

I'm sorry but that makes no sense! If s&s isn't operational then all the car does is operate as all cars did before s&s.

Back