Technical Horrible noise and kangarooing under power!

Currently reading:
Technical Horrible noise and kangarooing under power!

Hell don't trust me , what do I know?
I remember having the Dickens of a job trying to find out what the recommended plug gaps actually were
Champion say 0.9mm
NGK say 0.8mm

But by experience I found 0.9mm to be best for mine and by a surprising amount

ve
Hell don't trust me , what do I know?
I remember having the Dickens of a job trying to find out what the recommended plug gaps actually were
Champion say 0.9mm
NGK say 0.8mm

But by experience I found 0.9mm to be best for mine and by a surprising amount

I have to admit that I found the same with my 2.4. I originally set the plugs to 0.8 as Fiat say and it didn't run that great, lumpy idle etc. changed it to 0.9 as Denso recommend and it improved massively (y)

Just about all your symptoms would be consistent with a duff alternator including the noise, I would get it checked and the battery while you’re at it. The stilo is heavily reliant on electrical power.

Just about all your symptoms would be consistent with a duff alternator including the noise, I would get it checked and the battery while you’re at it. The stilo is heavily reliant on electrical power.

well, funnily enough, i've just re-gapped my plugs, and when I popped out coil 1, i found my washer bottle cap in the well...curious as it may be, when everything's been fit back in it seems to be ok. I've given her a small run, and there was no kangarooing.

To fix the oil/noise, i've ordered a new battery...the recent service report says the battery is extremely weak, so I reckon if I get a new one that might iron out some wierd niggles.

How would I go about checking the alternator? (the noise, btw, gets higher pitched/louder when I accelerate (until it goes away))

plugs regapped, and driving/accelerating works like a charm.

new battery, and the oil light problem is still there as is the God's awful noise!

help!

Have you changed the oil filter as I said in post number 2?

For the noise then you'll need to use your ears and narrow down where the source of the noise is. Use a long screwdriver pushed against likely stationary parts and plant your ear on the handle end or use and engineer's stethoscope. Watch it near rotating parts though

Last edited:
Watch it near rotating parts though

:D

The noise, might it be the timing belt tensioner? This is a big ball bearing and is like a harddrive. 100% chance of failure - it's just a matter of time.

Use your fiatoscope (the screwdriver) near it, but take care as this is one of the places that really moves...

M.

Well Seraph had the timing belt changed recently and I DO hope the mechanic wasn't dumb enough to not replace the belt rollers and tensioners at the same time. Mind you, they were dumb enough to not check their timing of the crank and camshafts afterward and poor Seraph had bad running problems and fault codes springing up at higher rpm for quite some time.

So who knows? Need to narrow down the area or upload a video with sound to Utube perhaps. Guessing what a noise might be - we'd be here until Xmas

:D

The noise, might it be the timing belt tensioner? This is a big ball bearing and is like a harddrive. 100% chance of failure - it's just a matter of time.

Use your fiatoscope (the screwdriver) near it, but take care as this is one of the places that really moves...

M.

right, the sound is coming from (to my untrained ear) the black triangle attached to the side of the engine... that's the timing belt housing right??

forgive me, i'm not a mechanic.

You need to have a mechanic look at it right away. Noises from the cam belt area can be deadly and can easily write off your engine if the belt slips off.

1.6 water pump and alt.JPG
It could equally be the water pump (in red) which is just to the rear of the cam belt area on yours and that would be quite easy and cheap to replace. Further still towards the rear is the alternator (green), again easy to do. Go see a good mechanic who knows what they're doing for an opinion. Until you know for certain it's not the cam belt tensioner or cambelt idler bearing then i wouldn't drive it. The risk of chaotic engine damage is very high

1.6 driven pullies 2.JPG
If it IS a problem with the cambelt tensioner and idler bearing then you need to go out guns blazing at the persons who did your cambelt as all of those items should have been renewed

Last edited:
surely if it was to do with the cam-belt though it'd continue all the time i'm driving, this simply stops after maybe 60 seconds.

The only things inside that black triangle are your cambelt and tensioners so if that's the source of your noise then you just have to get that checked out

A mechanic with an engineer's stethoscope should find the source very quickly or could drop off the alternator and water pump belt to temporarily eliminate them as the source. Either way, it takes no time to do

Last edited:
Right, final revival of this post and it's just to say the sad sorry day finally came.

Too scared of the chance of driving to leicester and having her finally give up the ghost and sick of the endless stream of repairs over the last 2 yrs, I part ex-ed her.

I'm now the (proud) owner of a 20v Coupe.

Back