Technical Hissing - Air con Expansion Valve?

Currently reading:
Technical Hissing - Air con Expansion Valve?

8jlogan

Hi,

After selling my Panda Dynamic in 2009, I have since returned to Fiat Ownership. I bought a black 100hp in October last year and the only work needing done to it was a fresh set of brake pads. As a precaution, I changed the timing belt and gave the car a service. 42,500 miles and previous owner was a mechanic.

I've always taken care of my cars and this is no exception. Within the past couple of months however, I have noticed a hissing noise. It happens mostly under acceleration or high speed and lasts a few seconds. My mechanic took it out but it is very much intermittent. A wee bit of googling lead me to believe it is the air con expansion valve, as it fits my description of troubles. How easy is this to replace, and are there any other suggestions as to what the problem could be? As a thank you, here is a picture of the car :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1368387144.399023.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1368387144.399023.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 67
  • ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1368387205.523332.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1368387205.523332.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Cheers - my mechanic took it out for a spin and after coming back, he almost forgot what he was looking out for. Full of smiles. He couldn't hear anything, and told me not to worry.

Next thing is the Torque steering sensor - steering is heavier on one side than the other, but not by much. Place in Glasgow quoted £360 inc labour and VAT. Since it's been like this for a good couple of years, I'm sure another couple of months will be fine. I bought it knowing the fault and other than the light, hasn't annoyed me.

It could be worse. After selling the last Panda, an immobiliser problem occurred and took many hundreds of pounds from new owners to fix. Didn't stop me from buying this though - too much fun and it had personality which so many cars just lack.

Back