Technical Hill Holder query

Currently reading:
Technical Hill Holder query

Quantox

Hi Guys,
I'm experiencing strange behaviour from the HH on my '12 1.3 Dualogic Qubo MyLife. It works perfectly well leaving my drive and onto the 1 in 4 hill I live on but after driving 200 yards in any direction, uphill, downhill or on the flat I get the dash message "Hill Holder unavailable, see handbook". Well, the handbook says not a lot and the Fiat dealer says they have found an error message "pedal longitude" that they do not understand. It's going in tomorrow for a more intense examination.
Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?

Cheers

Q

Hi Quantox. Thats a good question........no idea what the answer is, though perhaps its to do with a system not fitted to u.k. cars ???. Let us know what your dealer comes up with and how you get on...

Cheers Qube O.

Hi Quantox. Thats a good question........no idea what the answer is, though perhaps its to do with a system not fitted to u.k. cars ???. Let us know what your dealer comes up with and how you get on...

Cheers Qube O.

Not quite sure where the "system not fitted to UK cars" comment comes from. It's a UK car located in the hilly Lake District.

Regards

Q

Hi again Quantox, What I tried to say was that as these cars are built overseas, it may be that some software was installed, even though the system it should relate to wasn't. Would have thought your dealer should be able to sort it out by hooking the car up to the Fiat Diagnostic Computer. Hope that helps, and.sorry if my 1st post was unclear.
Cheers Qube O.

Hi again Quantox, What I tried to say was that as these cars are built overseas, it may be that some software was installed, even though the system it should relate to wasn't. Would have thought your dealer should be able to sort it out by hooking the car up to the Fiat Diagnostic Computer. Hope that helps, and.sorry if my 1st post was unclear.
Cheers Qube O.
Thanks for the clarification. I understand your logic. The local Fiat dealer didn't understand the "pedal longitude" error message that the computer analysis generated and now has it all day today to try and get to the bottom of it. From the above posts it seems that HH isn't a std. UK feature but it's there and it works, at least temporarily if I don't drive more than 200 yards at any one time.
I rather suspect that the answer to the HH presence may well be down to the vehicle provenance. It's a WAV that I bought to transport my wife. Converted by Sirus, it's their "Switch" model for which I believe they source the base vehicles directly from Fiat rather than through the dealer network, so perhaps they have a unique specification. Sirus say that their conversion has no interconnection with the HH function and of course the Fiat garage immediately pointed the finger at the conversion, as you may expect.
Ho Hum, I'll just wait and see what the garage says later this pm.

Cheers

Q

Is this one of the functions that you can enable/disable? My handbook is in the car so I cannot check it.

Cheers

Q

Nope, Hill hold is normally fitted to later Fiat models with ASR also fitted, so if you've a ASR off button on the dash you can hit then you've probably got HH also.

Nope, Hill hold is normally fitted to later Fiat models with ASR also fitted, so if you've a ASR off button on the dash you can hit then you've probably got HH also.

Definitely have both on mine, just wondered if HH is "missing" on other peoples vehicles because it had never been enabled? Obviously not so.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Q

Definitely have both on mine, just wondered if HH is "missing" on other peoples vehicles because it had never been enabled? Obviously not so.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Q

Nope, it has physical parts to it also (gyro sensors etc) which won't be present on vehicles without HH or ESP.

Ignore my previous post regarding ASR, is ESP which is technically required, but with ESP you'll also have ASR fitted, which can be deactivated, where as the ESP cannot.

After much discussion twixt local garage / converter/ Fiat Techies, it's been decided that a failed yaw sensor is the culprit. As it's buried deep within the vehicle (?), the local garage has asked to retain the vehicle until Saturday when they will receive the replacement yaw sensor. It saves them having to reconstruct the vehicle, only to dismantle it again to fix it. As I have other vehicles to drive / ride it doesn't matter too much if they hold onto it.

Fingers crossed that this really is the answer as I would have thought that a "pitch sensor" failure may have been more appropriate. I've not seen too many Qubo's executing a "yaw". Maybe this could occur on ice or extremely wet roads and is part of the ESP set up.

Cheers

Q

Fingers crossed that this really is the answer as I would have thought that a "pitch sensor" failure may have been more appropriate. I've not seen too many Qubo's executing a "yaw". Maybe this could occur on ice or extremely wet roads and is part of the ESP set up.

Cheers

Q

I think you've got it in one, they (the two systems) tend to use the same sensors.

I'm not sure if the sensors are separate for yaw and pitch or in the same unit, or the dealer / tech might have been using the wrong word / name. Hopefully they'll manage to fix it though :)

I think you've got it in one, they (the two systems) tend to use the same sensors.

I'm not sure if the sensors are separate for yaw and pitch or in the same unit, or the dealer / tech might have been using the wrong word / name. Hopefully they'll manage to fix it though :)

Just collected it and so far so good, no alarms after 200 yards and the hill holder works as intended. Anyway, the yaw sensor was replaced and seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the input from all who responded.

Cheers

Q

Just collected it and so far so good, no alarms after 200 yards and the hill holder works as intended. Anyway, the yaw sensor was replaced and seems to have done the trick.
Thanks for the input from all who responded.
Cheers
Q

Are there any tech manuals we can look at or read to know about these devices and extras so we can see where they are? I'm always interested in what can be retro-fitted to cars and this is just another thing (possibly).

I did find some link on the net but it's only in Italian and I'm just not sure about going to the site. Suspicious of RAR files etc. (if that was the one I looked at)

R-V-M

My lowly 1.4 Active has got Hill Hold

No fancy buttons to press. It just engages automatically whenever I use the handbrake, Amazing bit of kit.

Come to think of it, every car I have ever had seemed to have this function:D:D:D

Ontor

My lowly 1.4 Active has got Hill Hold.
It just engages automatically whenever I use the handbrake, amazing bit of kit.

Ontor

Hmm (haha) - not using a handbrake is maybe a tad lazy but if the company provides a useful gadget (like HH) then WHY does it only work at certain inclines? Obtuse logic.

Start-Stop completely discourages the use of the handbrake as you need to keep the brake pedal pressed to stop the engine (I really really don't like that feeling of no power/no control) so you get the blinding line of red brakes at the traffic lights.

I wonder what gadgets of dubious usefulness will appear on the next generation of cars.. I would argue that counting Start-Stop in fuel consumption figures is misleading.

R-V-M

Back